Re: DVD Player Kills Family of Seven

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Impmon, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Impmon

    Impmon Guest

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:12:13 -0500,
    typed:

    >player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
    >radiation which killed the entire family of seven.

    [snip]

    I'm having a hard time with that. Granted the laser inside the DVD
    player is harmful but unless you looked directly at the laster, you
    won't be harmed by a cracked case. I've had the case off of my DVD
    player for a few days when I was trying to get the spindle working and
    I'm doing fine.

    There is no way the radiation from the player can killthe whole family.
    --
    All viruses and spams are automatically removed by my ISP before
    reaching my inbox.

    Impmon, Aug 5, 2003

  2. >>player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
    >>radiation which killed the entire family of seven.

    >[snip]
    >
    >I'm having a hard time with that. Granted the laser inside the DVD
    >player is harmful but unless you looked directly at the laster, you
    >won't be harmed by a cracked case. I've had the case off of my DVD
    >player for a few days when I was trying to get the spindle working and
    >I'm doing fine.
    >
    >There is no way the radiation from the player can killthe whole family.

    Could it kill a few of them, do you think?

    Laurence Payne, Aug 5, 2003

  3. Impmon

    Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:27:08 GMT, Impmon <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:12:13 -0500,
    >typed:
    >
    >>player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
    >>radiation which killed the entire family of seven.

    >[snip]
    >
    >I'm having a hard time with that. Granted the laser inside the DVD
    >player is harmful but unless you looked directly at the laster, you
    >won't be harmed by a cracked case. I've had the case off of my DVD
    >player for a few days when I was trying to get the spindle working and
    >I'm doing fine.
    >
    >There is no way the radiation from the player can killthe whole family.

    Being a physics teacher, let me explain something.

    A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is rotating
    inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
    angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
    could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine gun.
    Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So, yes it
    can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
    seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
    apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
    killed or destroyed.

    , Aug 5, 2003
  4. writes:

    > Being a physics teacher, let me explain something.
    >
    > A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is rotating
    > inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
    > angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
    > could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine gun.
    > Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So, yes it
    > can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
    > seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
    > apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
    > killed or destroyed.

    And a flock of pigs was just sighted flying over the that stadium
    on its seasonal migration, somehow missing those deadly beams.... :)

    I pity anyone who takes any of your classes.

    --- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
    | Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

    Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
    contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

    Sam Goldwasser, Aug 5, 2003
  5. Impmon

    CJT Guest

    wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:27:08 GMT, Impmon <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:12:13 -0500,
    >>typed:
    >>

    >>>player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
    >>>radiation which killed the entire family of seven.

    >>[snip]
    >>
    >>I'm having a hard time with that. Granted the laser inside the DVD
    >>player is harmful but unless you looked directly at the laster, you
    >>won't be harmed by a cracked case. I've had the case off of my DVD
    >>player for a few days when I was trying to get the spindle working and
    >>I'm doing fine.
    >>
    >>There is no way the radiation from the player can killthe whole family.

    > Being a physics teacher, let me explain something.
    >
    > A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is rotating
    > inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
    > angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
    > could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine gun.
    > Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So, yes it
    > can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
    > seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
    > apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
    > killed or destroyed.

    God help your physics students.

    CJT, Aug 5, 2003
  6. Impmon

    family Guest

    also if they were that deadly they would be , A: on the black market or ,
    B: a government super weapon. not sitting in my home waiting to kill me for
    watching to much porn .
    y.b.

    family, Aug 5, 2003
  7. Impmon

    Impmon Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:24:11 -0500,
    typed:

    >A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is rotating
    >inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
    >angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
    >could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine gun.
    >Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So, yes it
    >can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
    >seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
    >apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
    >killed or destroyed.

    So you thinksomeone should get those lazy ass govermnet to force recall
    of everything that runs on laser. CD player, MD player, CD-ROM, CD
    burner, DVD player, DVD-ROM, DVD burner, laserdisk player, those
    novelity laser pointers, and the laser speed gun police uses to catch
    speeder.

    Looks like it's time to dust off my old radar jammer and my CED player.
    ;)

    Impmon, Aug 5, 2003
  8. Impmon

    CJT Guest

    Impmon wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:24:11 -0500,
    > typed:
    >

    >>A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is rotating
    >>inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
    >>angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
    >>could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine gun.
    >>Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So, yes it
    >>can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
    >>seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
    >>apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
    >>killed or destroyed.

    > So you thinksomeone should get those lazy ass govermnet to force recall
    > of everything that runs on laser. CD player, MD player, CD-ROM, CD
    > burner, DVD player, DVD-ROM, DVD burner, laserdisk player, those
    > novelity laser pointers, and the laser speed gun police uses to catch
    > speeder.
    >
    > Looks like it's time to dust off my old radar jammer and my CED player.
    > ;)

    You don't think those CED players are dangerous? I hear they work on
    capacitance, and a capacitor charged to a few thousand volts can kill
    you!

    CJT, Aug 5, 2003
  9. in article , CJT at wrote
    on 8/5/03 1:03 PM:

    > Impmon wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:24:11 -0500,
    >> typed:
    >>

    >>> A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is rotating
    >>> inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
    >>> angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
    >>> could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine gun.
    >>> Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So, yes it
    >>> can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
    >>> seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
    >>> apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
    >>> killed or destroyed.

    >> So you thinksomeone should get those lazy ass govermnet to force recall
    >> of everything that runs on laser. CD player, MD player, CD-ROM, CD
    >> burner, DVD player, DVD-ROM, DVD burner, laserdisk player, those
    >> novelity laser pointers, and the laser speed gun police uses to catch
    >> speeder.
    >>
    >> Looks like it's time to dust off my old radar jammer and my CED player.
    >> ;)

    > You don't think those CED players are dangerous? I hear they work on
    > capacitance, and a capacitor charged to a few thousand volts can kill
    > you!

    Water can kill you too.

    Karen

    Karen Chuplis, Aug 5, 2003
  10. Impmon

    Jeeters Guest

    > > So you thinksomeone should get those lazy ass govermnet to force recall
    > > of everything that runs on laser. CD player, MD player, CD-ROM, CD
    > > burner, DVD player, DVD-ROM, DVD burner, laserdisk player, those
    > > novelity laser pointers, and the laser speed gun police uses to catch
    > > speeder.

    Don't forget all the product scanners at supermarkets and department stores.
    After all, if somebody looks into them, they'll get their eyeballs burned
    out! ;)

    > > Looks like it's time to dust off my old radar jammer and my CED player.
    > > ;)

    > You don't think those CED players are dangerous? I hear they work on
    > capacitance, and a capacitor charged to a few thousand volts can kill
    > you!

    They don't really use any large capacitors or anything I believe. Yes they
    use a "capacitance" technology, but it's something about the changes in
    electrical charge between the spinning disk and the stylus. We're talking
    static electricity levels, I think.

    Besides, I once took a zap from about 10K volts worth of capacitors once
    when building a science fair project and I lived to tell about it. Knocked
    me to the floor on my butt, though! (Actually, I fell backwards onto the
    cat's scratching post.)

    You know what electricians say? "It's not the volts that matter, it's the
    amps!" :)

    Jeeters, Aug 5, 2003
  11. Impmon

    Dave C. Guest

    > God help your physics students.

    Don't worry about them. They were all killed by radiation from DVD players.
    :) -Dave

    Dave C., Aug 5, 2003
  12. Impmon

    Cheryl Guest

    Sam Goldwasser wrote:
    > writes:
    >
    >> Being a physics teacher, let me explain something.
    >>
    >> A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is

    rotating
    >> inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
    >> angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
    >> could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine
    >> gun. Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So,
    >> yes it
    >> can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
    >> seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
    >> apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
    >> killed or destroyed.

    > And a flock of pigs was just sighted flying over the that stadium
    > on its seasonal migration, somehow missing those deadly beams.... :)
    >
    > I pity anyone who takes any of your classes.

    You guys are *too* much. Falling for both the original troll and this
    one? HAHAHAHA! The email address is the biggest clue that this is
    not a physics teacher but is pulling yer leg. YHBT. :)

    Cheryl, Aug 5, 2003
  13. I'm simply using this thread as a rich source of humor material.

    Peter Gottlieb, Aug 5, 2003
  14. Impmon

    Karl S Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 20:10:29 GMT, "Dave C."
    <> wrote:

    >Holy shit, you need to go back to school. I work with devices which
    >DELIBERATELY emit laser beams. These devices are at least 1000 times as
    >strong as the lasers used in DVD players. I regularly walk right through
    >many criss-crossed laser beams, multiple times per day.

    Apparently they have destroyed the part of your brain that detects
    humor.

    Karl S, Aug 6, 2003
  15. Impmon

    Impmon Guest

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:38:29 -0400, "Jeeters" <> typed:

    >Besides, I once took a zap from about 10K volts worth of capacitors once
    >when building a science fair project and I lived to tell about it. Knocked
    >me to the floor on my butt, though! (Actually, I fell backwards onto the
    >cat's scratching post.)

    Try dealing with a 19" color TV CRT. It packs 30Kv even when it's not
    in use. I had the misfortune of finding how nasty that shock can be (the
    CRT wasn't even connected at all) and I must have spent the next 4 or 5
    days getting my hair back down.

    >You know what electricians say? "It's not the volts that matter, it's the
    >amps!" :)

    Even amps don't kill. An 11 year old boy was struck by lightening in
    Michigan a few days ago and still walked away with only singed hair and
    scar from his neck to his navel. Lighting bolt carries something like
    10,000 amps and several thousands volt.

    Impmon, Aug 6, 2003
  16. Impmon

    Impmon Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 20:10:29 GMT, "Dave C."
    <> typed:

    >Holy shit, you need to go back to school.

    [snip]

    I think you're missing something. It's old but I have something that
    can help you: http://personalpages.tds.net/~wilykat/setuphumour.gif

    Impmon, Aug 6, 2003
  17. In article <>, Impmon wrote:
    >On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:38:29 -0400, "Jeeters" <> typed:

    >You know what electricians say? "It's not the volts that matter, it's the
    >amps!" :)
    >
    >Even amps don't kill. An 11 year old boy was struck by lightening in
    >Michigan a few days ago and still walked away with only singed hair and
    >scar from his neck to his navel. Lighting bolt carries something like
    >10,000 amps and several thousands volt.

    Electrocution is unreliable, and is most likely when the current is
    power-line-frequency or low-audio-frequency AC (or pulsating DC), and the
    current is in the range of .1 to 1 amp and the shock goes through the
    upper torso. This is what is most likely to cause ventricular
    fibrillation, which is how most electrocution victims die. Beware that
    currents outside the .1 to 1 amp range, although less likely to cause
    ventricular fibrillation, can do so.
    Cardiac arrest is another way to die from electric shock, but it happens
    less easily than ventricular fibrillation does and is most favored by
    higher currents around or over 1 amp. The heart is better at recovering
    from shocks that paralyze it completely than it is at recovering from
    shocks that trigger ventricular fibrillation.

    Other ways to die from electric shock include breathing being paralyzed
    (typically from prolonged shock through the brain or chest) or by injuries
    caused by a "grand mal"-like seizure that a shock through the brain
    (usually AC for at least a few cycles) may cause. People may die from a
    non-lethal shock if involuntary muscle contractions or being startled
    cause them to fall, stab themselves on nearby sharp objects or contact a
    nearby source of a lethal shock.

    How electric chairs work: The voltage is typically 2300 volts and the
    current is many amps. If the condemned's heart is not shocked out of
    commission, then the condemned dies from vital organs being cooked or by
    breathing and the heart being paralyzed long enough to deprive the brain
    of oxygen long enough to be unable to resume breathing when the shock is
    ended. Other ways to kill someone from electrocution are unreliable,
    possibly except for an electric chair with an EKG (to apply a shock when
    its application is most likely to disrupt the heart's rhythm) or using
    enough current to make someone explode. Beware that surviving electric
    shocks can be similarly unreliable.

    Back to lightning: Sometimes it can "spark around" what it hits if
    the current multiplied by the target's resistance is a voltage high enough
    to start a new path around the target. Obviously, someone conducting
    enough current from a lightning strike to make this happen has a
    significant (but short of 100%) chance of cardiac arrest.

    - Don Klipstein ()

    Don Klipstein, Aug 6, 2003
  18. Impmon

    Impmon Guest

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:21:29 +0000 (UTC), (Don
    Klipstein) typed:

    > Back to lightning: Sometimes it can "spark around" what it hits if
    >the current multiplied by the target's resistance is a voltage high enough
    >to start a new path around the target. Obviously, someone conducting
    >enough current from a lightning strike to make this happen has a
    >significant (but short of 100%) chance of cardiac arrest.

    In other word, if you're caught outside in a storm with no shelter, your
    best chance of surviving is to let yourself get wet so electricity would
    only cook your skin and not your gut. ;)

    Impmon, Aug 6, 2003
  19. Impmon

    Geoff Miller Guest

    "Jeeters" <> writes:

    > You know what electricians say? "It's not the volts that matter,
    > it's the amps!" :)

    A friend of mine once told me he'd seen a black, white and red
    OSHA-style warning sticker that read, "CAUTION: 2000 Ohms."

    Geoff

    --
    If you want peace, work for superior firepower.

    Geoff Miller, Aug 6, 2003
  20. Impmon

    Chris Street Guest

    wrote:

    >On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:27:08 GMT, Impmon <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:12:13 -0500,
    >>typed:
    >>
    >>>player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
    >>>radiation which killed the entire family of seven.

    >>[snip]
    >>
    >>I'm having a hard time with that. Granted the laser inside the DVD
    >>player is harmful but unless you looked directly at the laster, you
    >>won't be harmed by a cracked case. I've had the case off of my DVD
    >>player for a few days when I was trying to get the spindle working and
    >>I'm doing fine.
    >>
    >>There is no way the radiation from the player can killthe whole family.

    >Being a physics teacher, let me explain something.
    >
    >A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is rotating
    >inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
    >angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
    >could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine gun.
    >Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So, yes it
    >can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
    >seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
    >apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
    >killed or destroyed.

    LOL - very good!
    --
    79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
    The other 42% are made up later on.

    Chris Street, Aug 6, 2003