Re: DVD playability

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Stephen Worthington, Sep 23, 2009.

  1. On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 07:52:22 +1200, wrote:

    >If I buy a DVD from Amazon UK will it play ok on a player bought a
    >year ago in NZ?

    A very large proportion of the DVD players sold in NZ are capable of
    being made region free, as a result of the way our parallel importing
    law works - it is perfectly legal here to import and use DVDs from any
    region. Generally, when buying a DVD player in NZ, if it is not
    capable of being made region free, the retailer will tell you that as
    it is mostly assumed that it will be region free capable.

    If yours is region free capable, just find the instructions to do it
    and then it will play the DVD. The instructions are often a sheet of
    paper included in the box when the DVD player was sold to you, but if
    not, then you can search the Internet and see if you can find them, or
    ask your retailer.

    So, what is your DVD player?
    Stephen Worthington, Sep 23, 2009

  2. Stephen Worthington

    Cima Guest

    On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:41:58 +1200, wrote:

    >On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 20:51:07 +1200, Stephen Worthington
    ><34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 07:52:22 +1200, wrote:
    >>
    >>>If I buy a DVD from Amazon UK will it play ok on a player bought a
    >>>year ago in NZ?

    >>A very large proportion of the DVD players sold in NZ are capable of
    >>being made region free, as a result of the way our parallel importing
    >>law works - it is perfectly legal here to import and use DVDs from any
    >>region. Generally, when buying a DVD player in NZ, if it is not
    >>capable of being made region free, the retailer will tell you that as
    >>it is mostly assumed that it will be region free capable.
    >>
    >>If yours is region free capable, just find the instructions to do it
    >>and then it will play the DVD. The instructions are often a sheet of
    >>paper included in the box when the DVD player was sold to you, but if
    >>not, then you can search the Internet and see if you can find them, or
    >>ask your retailer.
    >>
    >>So, what is your DVD player?

    >It is a Toshiba SD-590KY which I got for about $50 from Harvey Norman
    >at the beginning of this year. It works well.
    >The instruction book gives the usual info about region codes but there
    >are no intructions about making it region free.

    http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/forum...iba_SD590KY_dvd_player_region_free_code/page1

    http://tinyurl.com/kj8hjc

    1: Power on the DVD Player

    2: Eject/open dvd tray

    3: while tray is open, press "9879" on the remote

    4: then press "0" on the remote

    5: turn the power off

    6: turn the player on again and its now multi region
    Cima, Sep 24, 2009

  3. Stephen Worthington

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:41:58 +1200, wrote:

    >On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 20:51:07 +1200, Stephen Worthington
    ><34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 07:52:22 +1200, wrote:
    >>
    >>>If I buy a DVD from Amazon UK will it play ok on a player bought a
    >>>year ago in NZ?

    >>A very large proportion of the DVD players sold in NZ are capable of
    >>being made region free, as a result of the way our parallel importing
    >>law works - it is perfectly legal here to import and use DVDs from any
    >>region. Generally, when buying a DVD player in NZ, if it is not
    >>capable of being made region free, the retailer will tell you that as
    >>it is mostly assumed that it will be region free capable.
    >>
    >>If yours is region free capable, just find the instructions to do it
    >>and then it will play the DVD. The instructions are often a sheet of
    >>paper included in the box when the DVD player was sold to you, but if
    >>not, then you can search the Internet and see if you can find them, or
    >>ask your retailer.
    >>
    >>So, what is your DVD player?

    >It is a Toshiba SD-590KY which I got for about $50 from Harvey Norman
    >at the beginning of this year. It works well.
    >The instruction book gives the usual info about region codes but there
    >are no intructions about making it region free.

    Did you ask the shop if it was region free as some need to be done with a
    special remote and is done free in most cases.
    Mary Hanna, Sep 24, 2009
  4. In message <>, Stephen Worthington
    wrote:

    > A very large proportion of the DVD players sold in NZ are capable of
    > being made region free ...

    The Pioneer recorder I bought a few years ago was region-free out of the
    box. The Panasonic player I bought more recently was not, but fixing it was
    done as a "warranty repair".
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 24, 2009
  5. Stephen Worthington

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:40:49 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Stephen Worthington
    >wrote:
    >
    >> A very large proportion of the DVD players sold in NZ are capable of
    >> being made region free ...

    >The Pioneer recorder I bought a few years ago was region-free out of the
    >box. The Panasonic player I bought more recently was not, but fixing it was
    >done as a "warranty repair".

    Panasonic Players are done free but you must ask.
    Mary Hanna, Sep 24, 2009
  6. Stephen Worthington

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mary Hanna wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:40:49 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Stephen
    >> Worthington wrote:
    >>
    >>> A very large proportion of the DVD players sold in NZ are capable of
    >>> being made region free ...

    >> The Pioneer recorder I bought a few years ago was region-free out of
    >> the box. The Panasonic player I bought more recently was not, but
    >> fixing it was done as a "warranty repair".

    > Panasonic Players are done free but you must ask.

    .... an then take it to your nearest regional Panasonic authourised repair
    centre and wait while they do it.

    (At least that was my experience with my three Pannys, drive from Puke to
    Manukau, wait 20 minutes until they come out looking confused, tell them
    yes, I've changed the default remote 'channel' so they don't all turn on and
    off at the same time, wait another 20 minutes while they work out how to
    change it so their service remote works....)
    --
    Shaun.

    If there is a 'd' missing anywhere in my post it's likely due to my laptop's
    keyboard 'd' key currently needing to be hit harder than the other keys.
    ~misfit~, Sep 25, 2009
  7. In article <h9h0am$c0e$-september.org>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mary Hanna wrote:
    >> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:40:49 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The Pioneer recorder I bought a few years ago was region-free out of
    >>> the box. The Panasonic player I bought more recently was not, but
    >>> fixing it was done as a "warranty repair".

    >> Panasonic Players are done free but you must ask.

    >.... an then take it to your nearest regional Panasonic authourised repair
    >centre and wait while they do it.

    Agreed. They also say it will take 20 minutes ... but it actually takes a
    few seconds to do. :)
    I still don't know why they aren't all set to region zero OOTB (well, to
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 28, 2009