Re: DVD Life??

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Arminio Grgic, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:14:03 +0400, Tesla Fibre <>
    wrote:

    >I have read in some magazine that recently there was concern that
    >DVD+-R and RW have a very short life span than normally advertised.
    >Also it may be possible that DVD's are a waste of time for archiving
    >data due to this.
    >
    >Anyone read anything about this? Any opinions?

    I read a lot about this problem and I must say it is very serious
    matter - thing i sthat some media manufacturer makeing very low
    wuality media for lot of brands like Verbatim, Princo etc. so these
    discs lasts from 2 months to 2 years top !
    This makes DVD-R media completely unusefull for any backups.
    The biggest problem is that you don't know what are you buying until
    you buy it - for example, teher is some Traxdata discs that have RITEK
    media (very good quality) and also some Traxdata with CMC media (low
    quality) but - both has Traxdata logo !
    The reason for this is palce of manufacturing - companies made discs
    around the world and have contacts with different mediua manufacturers

    There is one media manufacturer that have absolute recommendations
    from anybody - it is Taiyo Yuden - Japanese company who invented CD-R
    media and makes the most qualty products. Their media is used by
    Phillips, Plextor etc. but only "made in Japan" stuff ...

    --
    Q. What are your qualifications to be a film critic?
    A. I can watch movies, I can think, and I can write.

    Arminio Grgic, Sep 1, 2003