Re: DVD/CD ROM Not Working

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Nov 30, 2010.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Doug wrote:

    > I've got a new emachines E528 laptop running Widows 7.
    > When I put a cd/dvd into the disc drive, neither will play.

    Is it a commercially burned disc so you know that there is content on
    it? If not, have you tried using a commercially burned disc rather than
    one of your own? Or is this your own CD/DVD disc that you need to burn
    but which might be blank?

    > I can hear & feel the disc spinning up, but after a few seconds it stops.
    > The drive is recognized & will eject the disc when I click "Eject".

    When you boot the host, after the POST screen but before the OS starts
    to load, you should see a screen of detected drives. Is the optical
    disc drive listed?

    If the drive is recognized, does that mean you can see it in Windows
    Explorer? If not, did you look inside to see if a data cable (IDE or
    SATA) is attached to it and also to the motherboard? If you can see the
    drive in Windows Explorer, and after inserting a commercially burned
    disc, do you see any files and/or folders on that disc?

    VanguardLH, Nov 30, 2010

  2. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Doug wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" wrote in message news:id1mk7$5t7$...
    >
    > Doug wrote:
    >
    >> I've got a new emachines E528 laptop running Widows 7.
    >> When I put a cd/dvd into the disc drive, neither will play.

    > Is it a commercially burned disc so you know that there is content on
    > it? If not, have you tried using a commercially burned disc rather than
    > one of your own? Or is this your own CD/DVD disc that you need to burn
    > but which might be blank?
    >
    > I've tried commercially burned dvd/cd discs & discs I've made myself,
    > neither of them play.
    >
    >> I can hear & feel the disc spinning up, but after a few seconds it stops.
    >> The drive is recognized & will eject the disc when I click "Eject".

    > When you boot the host, after the POST screen but before the OS starts
    > to load, you should see a screen of detected drives. Is the optical
    > disc drive listed?
    >
    > IDK, it flashes by so quickly I cannot read anything.
    >
    > If the drive is recognized, does that mean you can see it in Windows
    > Explorer?
    >
    > Well, I DO NOT see the dvd ROM drive in Windows Explorer.
    >
    > If not, did you look inside to see if a data cable (IDE or
    > SATA) is attached to it and also to the motherboard? If you can see the
    > drive in Windows Explorer, and after inserting a commercially burned
    > disc, do you see any files and/or folders on that disc?

    I see in the interim that you upgraded from v14 to v15 of WLM. Now you
    get to enjoy Microsoft's decision to abandon the quoting of cited
    content (no ">" prefix character to add indenting and show hierarchy).

    If the POST screen disappears too quickly, try hitting the Pause button
    on the keyboard. You might also have to go into the BIOS config to
    disable a splashscreen because many pre-build computer makers love to
    puke their banner at the start of bootup.

    If you don't see the drive in Windows Explorer, you aren't going to be
    able to use it. The drive is bad. It isn't hooked up correctly. The
    motherboard is bad (for the controller on it for the drive). The
    optical disc (the controller for it) is disabled in the BIOS.

    Take it back to the store.

    VanguardLH, Nov 30, 2010