Re: DVD burner for $200???

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Geo H, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. Geo H

    Geo H Guest

    (Dean Richard) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Are there any decent IDE DVD burners in the $200 price range? If so,
    > which would be the best for me? I am going to be burning DVDs from
    > both VHS tape copies and DV transfers. In order, my priorities are:
    >
    > 1) Works with inexpensive blank DVDs
    > 2) Support for both DVD+ and DVD-
    > 3) Speed
    > 4) Reliability
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    >
    > Dean

    The $200 is irrelevant - once you get it in, you will buying blanks to
    the tune of between $2-4 per disc (unless your willing to buy lots of
    100-200 discs at a time where youcan get them online for about
    $0.65-0.85 - wish I had done that - and you will too after your first
    20-30 discs and occasional coasters - thats where the RW's come in
    handy) - then you'll want to buy DVD cases, You'll also wish (and
    eventually get) a bigger hard drive to locally hold all the data you
    want to transfer - $20 a pop for 40 disc labels, and bunches and
    bucnhes of color printer ink (and a color printer if you dont already
    have one) to print out all you custom covers and labels

    That $200 just turned into at least $500 with ongoing supplimentary
    costs, never minding the globs of time you are going to spend
    transfering all your stuff, so dont sweat the cost of the burner...it
    really winds up being a moot point in the long run. Keep your eyes
    open, look for sales, go with tried and tested hardware (you'll be
    glad you did) and get what feels best for you.

    I would have bought the burner I mentioned in my previous post even
    without the rebates simply beacuse it handles all versions of the DVD
    spec to save myself aggrevation afterwards - thats my suggestion -
    spend the extra money for a burner that will do +/-R and +/-RW ... you
    never know if you might wind up getting a new set top DVD player and
    you'd like to have all your bases covered.

    Geo H, Aug 26, 2003

  2. Geo H

    keved Guest

    >> Are there any decent IDE DVD burners in the $200 price range? If so,
    >> which would be the best for me? I am going to be burning DVDs from
    >> both VHS tape copies and DV transfers. In order, my priorities are:
    >>
    >> 1) Works with inexpensive blank DVDs
    >> 2) Support for both DVD+ and DVD-
    >> 3) Speed
    >> 4) Reliability

    I recommend the Pioneer DVR-106 EIDE for $167 (includes shipping):
    http://dealmac.com/articles/55165.html

    If you have a Mac, you can use the built in OSX software. If you have a PC
    you'll probably want Nero, sold separately.

    You'll probably get into a bunch of other software packages as well
    depending on what all you want to do. Again, the Mac includes things like
    iMovie and iDVD, but if you want pro stuff you'd want to go with DVD Studio
    Pro, Toast and Final Cut.

    > The $200 is irrelevant - once you get it in, you will buying blanks to
    > the tune of between $2-4 per disc (unless your willing to buy lots of
    > 100-200 discs at a time where youcan get them online for about
    > $0.65-0.85 - wish I had done that -

    Same as what happened with CDs...buy some samples of various brands and
    media types and then as soon as you're happy with one, buy in bulk. For
    playing on consumer decks, you're going to probably go with DVD-R or perhaps
    DVD-RW.

    > and you will too after your first
    > 20-30 discs and occasional coasters - thats where the RW's come in
    > handy)

    I have the Pioneer and a Sony burner installed in my Mac, over 200 DVDs and
    not a single coaster! I use RWs for quality testing. It should be noted
    that they are less compatible with players and slower to burn.

    > - then you'll want to buy DVD cases,

    I keep them in sleeves, a carrying case, or a metal lock box for the
    precious. Storage is pretty cheap for me.

    > You'll also wish (and
    > eventually get) a bigger hard drive to locally hold all the data you
    > want to transfer

    12GB per hour, plus editing space. It's nice to have a good 120GB hard
    drive to work with, but I also use my Mac as a Tivo device, so it's got 4
    hard drives.

    > - $20 a pop for 40 disc labels, and bunches and
    > bucnhes of color printer ink (and a color printer if you dont already
    > have one) to print out all you custom covers and labels

    Oh, this will kill you. My #1 rule is that it has to cost less than $1 per
    disk total. My second rule is that the amount of time I spend must be less
    than real time. It's pure Sharpie labeling for me!

    keved, Aug 26, 2003

  3. Geo H

    Geo H Guest

    keved <> wrote in message news:<BB71154E.1B459%>...

    <Snipped all above>

    > > - $20 a pop for 40 disc labels, and bunches and
    > > bucnhes of color printer ink (and a color printer if you dont already
    > > have one) to print out all you custom covers and labels

    > Oh, this will kill you. My #1 rule is that it has to cost less than $1 per
    > disk total. My second rule is that the amount of time I spend must be less
    > than real time. It's pure Sharpie labeling for me!

    For me, its just part of the whole package - I have to have this and
    dont mind doing it even though it takes up the most time with regards
    to the time involved in it. I enjoy doing it, it keeps my skills and
    imaginiation sharp and quite frankly with regard to cost, I dont sweat
    that either...I found a great discount ink company online where I can
    get cartridges for next to nothing - delivered - I just happenend to
    luck out having a printer where the cartridges are the cheapest on the
    whole site - my old Lexmark through this site is $20+ for black and
    $26 for color - my new Epson is $4 for black and $7 for color - no
    those are not typos - 1 set of color cartridges (black and color) $14
    delivered. Recently had a discount coupon and did it during a free
    shipping period - 3 sets of each....$33 delivered - could not resist -
    wish I had bought more.

    Anyway, back on track with regards to the covers - I do it all - the
    cover, the insert and the disc label for everything - cant stand
    having a hand-labelled disc with nothing but writing on it.

    Geo H, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Geo H

    DVDHelp.us Guest

    On 02 Sep 2003, (Geo H) spake thusly, as shown in

    > my new Epson is $4 for black and $7 for color - no
    > those are not typos - 1 set of color cartridges (black and color) $14
    > delivered. Recently had a discount coupon and did it during a free
    > shipping period - 3 sets of each....$33 delivered - could not resist -
    > wish I had bought more.

    Cool. What's the site? I'll go buy the printer just to save that much on
    ink. ;)

    --
    Jake

    Webmaster
    http://www.dvdhelp.us

    Usenet service for heavy downloaders:
    http://kickme.to/giganews

    DVDHelp.us, Sep 3, 2003
    :
    : > my new Epson is $4 for black and $7 for color - no
    : > those are not typos - 1 set of color cartridges (black and color) $14
    : > delivered. Recently had a discount coupon and did it during a free
    : > shipping period - 3 sets of each....$33 delivered - could not resist -
    : > wish I had bought more.
    :
    : Cool. What's the site? I'll go buy the printer just to save that much on
    : ink. ;)

    www.printpal.com - My Printer is the Epson Stylus Color 880 - so whatever
    printers can accomodate the cartridges that go in there, you can get it that
    cheap as well - otherwise, most of the other cartridges are still a little
    pricey - granted still a good sight cheaper than in most stores, but
    certainly not $4 - $7

    :
    : --
    : Jake