Re: Duplicate .dll files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Aug 24, 2003.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    You should leave duplicate .dll files alone, as a general rule, because
    some programs expect to find them in the folder that the application
    is installed to, whilst others will happily find them in the system folder.

    Duplicate .cab files is another matter, which you would need to
    be more specific about (names/locations).

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:24:31 +0100, in
    <3f48ca15$0$15035$>
    Y Korer scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 24, 2003

  2. °Mike°

    Y Korer Guest

    Thanks for your answer and thanks also for the maintenance page - the issue
    concerning "My Documents" is a new one to me - and I'm dealing with it now.
    Do you have any more information about this?

    Y Korer, Aug 24, 2003

  3. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    It is what's known as a "Shell Folder" - based on an "environment"
    concept. The idea is to have all user files available from a common
    location. The registry's entry for the "personal environment" of
    'My Documents' is not a true directory, rather a "NameSpace" that
    can actually point anywhere (not just c:\my documents). This
    space has to be enumerated continually by the registry, and can
    get bogged down with too many entries.

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:37:22 +0100, in
    <3f48cd1e$0$11381$>
    Y Korer scrawled: