Re: Dumb question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Walter Roberson, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. In article <>,
    John <> wrote:
    ;I currently have an access list to control traffic. I just installed
    ;Linux on a computer and would like to do this.

    :I want this IP opened to computers on the net.
    :I was thinking of something like:

    :permit ip any a.b.c.d 0.0.0.15 log-input

    :a.b.c.d being the IP of this Linux system.

    :Would this work?

    Only if 'd' just happened to be a multiple of 16.

    If you want to open access to a specific host, you would use either

    permit ip any host a.b.c.d log-input

    or

    permit ip any a.b.c.d 0.0.0.0 log-input

    The latter is not encouraged, and it will show up as "host a.b.c.d"
    on output.

    What you proposed, a.b.c.d 0.0.0.15, would be used to permit access
    to the IP address a.b.c.d and the next 15 IP addresses... provided,
    that is, that d happened to be a multiple of 16. [It works on bit masks,
    not on number of addresses.]

    Walter Roberson, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Walter Roberson

    John Guest

    -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:<bfhhmh$2nn$>...
    > In article <>,
    > John <> wrote:
    > ;I currently have an access list to control traffic. I just installed
    > ;Linux on a computer and would like to do this.
    >
    > :I want this IP opened to computers on the net.
    > :I was thinking of something like:
    >
    > :permit ip any a.b.c.d 0.0.0.15 log-input
    >
    > :a.b.c.d being the IP of this Linux system.
    >
    > :Would this work?
    >
    > Only if 'd' just happened to be a multiple of 16.
    >
    > If you want to open access to a specific host, you would use either
    >
    > permit ip any host a.b.c.d log-input
    >
    > or
    >
    > permit ip any a.b.c.d 0.0.0.0 log-input
    >
    > The latter is not encouraged, and it will show up as "host a.b.c.d"
    > on output.
    >
    > What you proposed, a.b.c.d 0.0.0.15, would be used to permit access
    > to the IP address a.b.c.d and the next 15 IP addresses... provided,
    > that is, that d happened to be a multiple of 16. [It works on bit masks,
    > not on number of addresses.]

    Ofcourse! like I said, dumb question. Thank you all!

    John.

    John, Jul 23, 2003