Re: "Duel"

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by David Z, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. David Z

    David Z Guest

    VW Beetles were enormously popular in 1970 and as I recall they did not have
    V8 engines.

    David Z, Aug 3, 2003

  2. David Z

    Guest

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 03:03:03 GMT, "David Z" <> wrote:

    >VW Beetles were enormously popular in 1970 and as I recall they did not have
    >V8 engines.
    >
    ><> wrote in message
    >> Was that guy the only person in 1970 who didn't own a car
    >> with a V8 engine?
    >> -Rich

    The comment was partly sarcastic. In reality, the car Weaver drove
    (a Dodge) was available at the time with a base 6 cylinder, a 318ci
    V8 and a high power 340ci V8. But if Weaver had had the 340, there
    wouldn't have been any movie.
    -Rich
    , Aug 3, 2003

  3. David Z

    The Jerks Guest

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 04:43:06 GMT, wrote:

    >On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 03:03:03 GMT, "David Z" <> wrote:
    >
    >>VW Beetles were enormously popular in 1970 and as I recall they did not have
    >>V8 engines.
    >>
    >><> wrote in message
    >>> Was that guy the only person in 1970 who didn't own a car
    >>> with a V8 engine?
    >>> -Rich

    >The comment was partly sarcastic. In reality, the car Weaver drove
    >(a Dodge) was available at the time with a base 6 cylinder, a 318ci
    >V8 and a high power 340ci V8. But if Weaver had had the 340, there
    >wouldn't have been any movie.
    >-Rich

    I duno. That truck was pretty fast!

    Jerk & Jerk-OFF
    The Jerks, Aug 3, 2003
  4. David Z

    David Z Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 03:03:03 GMT, "David Z" <> wrote:
    >
    > >VW Beetles were enormously popular in 1970 and as I recall they did not

    have
    > >V8 engines.
    > >
    > ><> wrote in message
    > >> Was that guy the only person in 1970 who didn't own a car
    > >> with a V8 engine?
    > >> -Rich

    > The comment was partly sarcastic. In reality, the car Weaver drove
    > (a Dodge) was available at the time with a base 6 cylinder, a 318ci

    318ci? Is that a BMW of some sort?
    David Z, Aug 3, 2003
  5. "Steve Knoblock" <> wrote in message

    > You can find more than you want to know, scroll down to 318 5.2 liter. '67
    > was the first year.

    Sorry,
    forgot the link

    http://www.allpar.com/mopar/318.html
    Steve Knoblock, Aug 3, 2003
  6. Ridwan Hughes, Aug 3, 2003
  7. David Z

    The Jerks Guest

    On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 09:32:13 +0100, "Allan" <> wrote:

    >Can anyone provide a link to a phto of Cary Loftin who played the truck
    >driver?
    >
    >IMDB and Google images has nothing.
    >

    >Allan

    Why? does he turn you on ? LOL!!!!

    Jerk & Jerk-OFF
    The Jerks, Aug 3, 2003
  8. David Z

    Scot Gardner Guest

    > > 318ci? Is that a BMW of some sort?

    > No, it's the 318 cubic inch V8 Chrysler fitted to many makes from the
    > 60's on to today. My '67 Belvedere had a 318 combined with the
    > excellent Torqueflite.
    >
    > You can find more than you want to know, scroll down to 318 5.2 liter.
    > '67 was the first year.
    >
    > Steve

    A 318 jet-propelled my 1961 Plymouth Fury 2-door hardtop coupe. What a
    car that was, with all of the Chrysler "innovations" of the 1950's in
    one car:

    A clear plastic rectangular steering wheel, with reflective glitter
    sprinkled inside.

    A dash-mount rear view mirror.

    A tower-back front seat

    A pushbutton Torqueflite automatic transmission, with no "park"
    setting. (If the emergency brake failed, the car would roll. There
    was a park-lock on the 1961 Belvedere, but not on the Fury.)

    A rear window that extended so far into the roofline that rear seat
    passengers got sunburned.

    A torsion bar front suspension, for incredible cornering.

    A unique rolling-drum speedometer which created a progressive red
    line in 5-mile per hour increments.

    An emergency brake which applied a tourniquet-like clamp to the
    driveshaft, instead of engaging the rear brakes.

    If Dennis Weaver had been driving a '61 Fury with a 318, he would have
    left that big rig two states behind.

    http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/5961/Picture.htm
    Scot Gardner, Aug 3, 2003
  9. David Z

    Allan Guest

    > >Can anyone provide a link to a phto of Cary Loftin who played the truck
    > >driver?

    > Why? does he turn you on ? LOL!!!!

    Don't be an idiot, I just wanted to know what the Demon Truck Driver looked
    like and if he really was in the bar when Weaver thinks he's found him.
    Allan, Aug 3, 2003
  10. David Z

    Bob Morris Guest

    "Steve Knoblock" <> writes:

    >"Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    >> "Steve Knoblock" <> wrote in message

    >To keep this on topic, it amazes me how things can turn around with muscle
    >cars being bad guys and tuners the good guys in these new films. But then
    >its Hondas and Toyotas these days for us, so not surprising. The Best Buy
    >here has tuners in the parking lot all the time.

    >Those 50's models had some fabulous dashes. Torsion bars were very advanced
    >for US cars then, very European and sporty, maybe a someone should convert a
    >60's Dart/Vailiant HT V8 into a tuner. The used to win all the drag races,
    >even with the auto transmission. Love those push button shifters.

    Er. Umn. The car in Duel was a 68 Valiant. (Maybe 67 or 69).
    I used to own one.

    One of the requirments for the film was that it needed
    a heat gauge. Most US cars had the time had idiot lights
    for heat, but the Valiant had a gauge.

    Also, they didn't have push button "transmissions."

    Chrysler/Plymouth etc circa 1956/57 had push buttons.

    Bob Morris
    Bob Morris, Aug 4, 2003
  11. David Z

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    >Don't be an idiot, I just wanted to know what the Demon Truck Driver looked
    >like and if he really was in the bar when Weaver thinks he's found him.

    I don't know why he would be. Spielberg didn't want you to see the driver,
    period. Even if the actor who portrayed the driver isn't in the bar, the
    character still may be. Look at it this way: Darth Vader didn't necessarily
    look like David Prowse behind his mask (as we all know, he was portrayed by
    Sebastian Shaw in "RotJ" but we're talking pre-"Jedi" Vader here).
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

    Help bring "Freaks and Geeks" to DVD at http://www.freaksandgeeks.com/dvd/
    CLOSEDOWN8, Aug 4, 2003
  12. David Z

    Scot Gardner Guest

    <> wrote in message

    <<In reality, the car Weaver drove (a Dodge) was available at the time
    with a base 6 cylinder, a 318ci V8 and a high power 340ci V8. But if
    Weaver had had the 340, there wouldn't have been any movie. -Rich>>

    I found some vehicle statistics for _Duel_, which reveal some major
    differences between the "Truck" and the "Stunt Truck." The Valiant was a
    real jack rabbit, capable of a top speed of 116 Mph as well as doing
    0-60 Mph in 8 seconds.

    Specifications For DUEL Vehicles

    David Mann's Plymouth Valiant

    Year: 1970
    Make: Plymouth
    Model: Valiant Custom
    Engine: Gasoline 318 cid V8
    Price When New: $2800
    Top Speed: 116 Mph
    Fuel Economy: 16 City/21 Highway
    0-60mph: 8.0 seconds
    1/4 Mile: 15.9 seconds @ 92 mph
    Body Style: 4 Door/6 Passenger
    Transmission: Column Shift TorqueFlite 904a 3 Speed Automatic
    (This puts to rest the raging pushbutton controversy.)

    The Truck 'with some... some SOUPED UP DIESEL'

    Year: 1955-1960 Series
    Make: Peterbilt
    Model: 351
    Engine: Cummins NHBS Supercharged 6 Cylinder Diesel
    Price When New: $8900(estimate)
    Horsepower: 275 Gross @ 2400 RPM
    Top Speed: 90 Mph (estimated)
    Fuel Economy: 9 mpg city/11 mpg highway (unloaded)
    0-60mph: 28 seconds (unloaded)
    1/4 Mile: Do you really want to know? Its bad...
    Body Style: Conventional Cab/2 passenger
    Note: This truck was destroyed in the last scene of the film.

    Stunt Truck Diesel (Truck #2 used in Railroad Crossing and Bus Scenes!)

    Year: 1962-1969 Series
    Make: Peterbilt
    Model: 351
    Price When New: $11,040 (estimate)
    Horsepower: 320 Gross @ 2550 RPM
    Top Speed: 95 Mph (estimated)
    Fuel Economy: 8 mpg city/10 mpg highway (unloaded)
    0-60mph: 25 seconds (unloaded)
    Body Style: Revised Cab/2 passenger
    Note: This truck was used in the Incredible Hulk episode exclusively. It
    still survives today. Features: Peterbilt changed their cabs in 1962,
    the second truck has the later cab. Also the second truck has a round
    fuel tank under the passenger door, while the first truck had a
    tool/battery box in that location. Further, the second truck had a
    different type of air cleaner. Also note, the trailer on the second
    truck had different wheel openings.

    http://members.tripod.com/~DavidMann/stats.html
    Scot Gardner, Aug 4, 2003
  13. David Z

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message

    > Can anyone provide a link to a phto of Cary Loftin who played the
    > truck driver?

    Well, actually, no. But check out these goofs, including Steven
    Spielberg's Alfred Hitchcock-style appearance in the movie:

    Goofs for Duel (1971/I) (TV)

    Continuity: The glass of water at Chuck's Cafe is half full after being
    completely gulped.

    Continuity: The large FLAMMABLE sign on the back of the truck changes to
    a smaller FLAMMABLE sign in some scenes.

    Continuity: The truck's license plates also disappear altogether in some
    scenes.

    Continuity: The pool balls change positions and become more numerous
    after David Mann is thrown onto it at Chuck's cafe.

    Continuity: None of the cages at the Snake Ranch is glass, but all
    become glass after the truck drives over them and David Mann throws a
    large glass tank at the truck.

    Continuity: The streaks on the back of David Mann's car change in size
    and number for no apparent reason.

    Continuity: Mann closes the driver's door following the crash outside
    Chuck's Cafe. When he later returns to the car, the door is open.

    Crew or equipment visible: Reflected in the phone booth, and in the
    table at Chuck's Cafe (it's Steven Spielberg).

    Continuity: During the scene at the railway crossing, in one shot the
    lettering on the freight cars appears in mirror image. (It is not
    possible that we're seeing a reflection in the rear view mirror, as the
    train is in front of the car and still seems to be moving the right way
    anyway).

    Continuity: In an early scene, when David Mann stops to get gas, he
    makes a phone call to his wife. His glasses are bent and distorted. In
    following scenes, when he has them on again in the car, the glasses
    appear undamaged.

    Continuity: As we see the cars speed, we also see the odometer, which
    varies between 4600 and 5100 and back again.

    Continuity: When the truck goes over the cliff, the driver's door of the
    truck, which was previously shut) is wide open (the stunt driver leapt
    from the truck before it went over the edge).

    Continuity: During one of the first chases, Mann's seatbelt disappears
    and reappears between shots.

    Crew or equipment visible: As David Mann is walking towards his seat in
    Chuck's Cafe after his visit to the rest room, the shadow of the camera
    can be clearly seen on his back.

    Continuity: When David Mann first passes the truck, we get a view of the
    landscape and roadside objects as he passes. When he has to pass the
    truck a second time, a few miles down the road, the same footage is used
    (as evidenced by the same objects appearing on the roadside and
    horizon).

    Crew or equipment visible: In the chase scene leading to Chuck's Cafe, a
    camera mounted on the right rear side of the car can be seen briefly.

    Continuity: The bus being pushed by the truck is different than the one
    used in the scene in which the car gets bumper-locked.

    Crew or equipment visible: Many times when David Mann looks into his
    rear-view mirror, a crew member can be seen ducking in the backseat of
    his car.

    Continuity: When Mann loses control of his car and hurtles into the
    'Chuck's Cafe' parking lot, he crashes broadside into a fence. The
    collision knocked out the lower two bars of the three-bar fence. Later
    we see the car sitting surrounded by fence debris and the upper rail is
    broken, with runs fore and aft of the car sitting diagonally on the
    ground

    Continuity: Almost every shot of every road chase has inconsistent
    yellow passing lines from shot to shot.

    Crew or equipment visible: When David is trying to push the bus with his
    car, a shot of a bumper has a few crew members reflected in it.

    Continuity: The weather changes from clear and sunny to dark clouds and
    back to clear and sunny towards the end of the movie when David Mann's
    car starts conking out on him.

    http://us.imdb.com/Goofs?0067023
    Scot Gardner, Aug 4, 2003
  14. David Z

    2Studs Guest

    On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 20:47:02 -0700, "Scot Gardner" <> wrote:

> [...]

    >rear-view mirror, a crew member can be seen ducking in the backseat of
    >his car.
    >
    >Continuity: When Mann loses control of his car and hurtles into the
    >'Chuck's Cafe' parking lot, he crashes broadside into a fence. The
    >collision knocked out the lower two bars of the three-bar fence. Later
    >we see the car sitting surrounded by fence debris and the upper rail is
    >broken, with runs fore and aft of the car sitting diagonally on the
    >ground
    >
    >Continuity: Almost every shot of every road chase has inconsistent
    >yellow passing lines from shot to shot.
    >
    >Crew or equipment visible: When David is trying to push the bus with his
    >car, a shot of a bumper has a few crew members reflected in it.
    >
    >Continuity: The weather changes from clear and sunny to dark clouds and
    >back to clear and sunny towards the end of the movie when David Mann's

    Some people have too much idle time on their hands

    Jerk & Jerk-OFF
    2Studs, Aug 4, 2003
  15. David Z

    Bob Morris Guest

    I'd reiterate that the chief reason the Valiant was used it that it had to be
    a cheap car yet it had to have a heat gauge, to be seen slowly creeping up.

    Again, I had a 68 Valiant and can remember that most other American cars of
    the time had an idiot light for heat.

    Also, I haven't seen Duel for a while but isn't the biggest problem the fact
    that the truck doesn't explode into a ball of flames *immediately*
    upon impact. In other words, the stunt explosion didn't come off.

    I can remember thinking that something was wrong.

    Bob Morris
    Bob Morris, Aug 4, 2003
  16. David Z

    Bob Morris Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> writes:

    >On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 14:47:17 GMT, "Werz Mungle" <> wrote:

    >>"Bob Morris" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'd reiterate that the chief reason the Valiant was used it that it had to

    >>be
    >>> a cheap car yet it had to have a heat gauge, to be seen slowly creeping

    >>up.
    >>>
    >>> Again, I had a 68 Valiant and can remember that most other American cars

    >>of
    >>> the time had an idiot light for heat.
    >>>
    >>> Also, I haven't seen Duel for a while but isn't the biggest problem the

    >>fact
    >>> that the truck doesn't explode into a ball of flames *immediately*
    >>> upon impact. In other words, the stunt explosion didn't come off.
    >>>
    >>> I can remember thinking that something was wrong.
    >>>
    >>> Bob Morris

    >>Wasn't part of the reason the truck was able to go so fast was because its
    >>cargo tank was empty?

    How did we know this? Was it introduced into the plot?

    >>And by the time it me its demise its fuel containers
    >>would have been low.
    >>

    >The fuel may have been low plot-wise, but that didn't mean that it had
    >to ACTUALLY not have enough flammable materials about for the sake of
    >special effects.

    True.

    > Yeah, the crash didn't look the way it probably
    >should have, with the truck hanging halfway down, still not afire, but
    >it was quite a natural-looking calamity, the way this type of event
    >actually looks, rather than by spectacular Hollywood Convention.

    I think we're into chronological problems here.

    When Duel was made every Hollywood film was *not* full of explosions.
    Given that this a had been a gripping, tension filled film,
    a huge explosion would have meant that the truck driver got due justice.

    > The comments about the many filming gaffes ovelook that this was a
    >low budget film. Time was restricted, retakes weren't possible, and
    >if Spielberg didn't notice a problem there wasn't a high paid
    >continuity dept. to monitor things. "Duel" is one of the best
    >examples of just plain good storytelling on a budget.

    Of course. I just think that a big explosion was planned
    and it didn't work out.

    >Incidently my "Duel" has just shipped, but it was part of a large
    >order of 13 DVD's as "Ship in one package" placed two weeks ago from
    >Amazon.com. (before the "delay") In the end the order was split into
    >three parcels, with "Duel" in the middle along with some Kino titles.

    In Canada, Amazon free shipping is for $39 and more.

    I order hard-to-get stuff from Amazon.ca and carefully
    arrange groups of DVDs so that each group just exceeds the $39
    and the issue date of the group is about the same.

    Two new ones or three cheapies does it.

    That way the delay is small.

    LRM
    Bob Morris, Aug 4, 2003