Re: Duel release 7 months away

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Ejucated Republicun, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Ridwan Hughes <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Yeah it does look like they just made up the date, so still no official
    > word on the release and why it was cancelled/delayed?

    Below is a repost of my theory on why it was recalled. I'd like to get
    a free replacement from Universal if they use CGI to clean up the
    errors. If anyone reading this has a VHS copy please tell me if you
    see the same flaws.

    My original post to alt.video.dvd on 2003-08-16:

    <snip>

    I have a copy that I pre-ordered from Amazon. The transfer quality is
    good but there are maybe 10 short clips toward the end where you can
    see the top of Spielberg's(?) head in the rearview mirror. One such
    scene is at 1:20:55 just as Weaver/Mann makes it over the summit after
    overheating.

    According to Spielberg's DVD interview, he was in the back seat
    coaching Weaver during filming, and once his upper body and face
    showed up but they "zoomed" that blatant scene out. He never used
    studio cars and it adds to the realism.

    The director also shows a scene where you can see his reflection in
    the phonebooth during the rattlesnake bit. They couldn't cut that one
    and it's obvious when you expect it. He says those lapses were caused
    by a strict schedule that didn't allow reviewing of daily takes.

    I never noticed the hair-in-mirror scenes when I watched it on TV or
    VHS and I initially assumed the DVD resolution makes them more
    obvious. Now I'm not sure they didn't hastily include material that
    was cut in other versions. Does anyone have a VHS copy to help verify
    this?

    It knocks you out of the movie trance when you can see someone other
    than Weaver in the car. Enough to cancel a release?

    Steve

    Ejucated Republicun, Oct 3, 2003