Re: Dual channel or triple channel?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Jun 6, 2010.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    wrote:

    > 8 Gb dual channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz
    >
    > or a little extra money ($160) for
    >
    > 12Gb tri-channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz
    >
    > O/S will be Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.
    >
    > i7 920 processor.

    The memory modules don't have a clue as to whether your mobo supports
    single-, dual-, or triple-channel mode. That is a function in the mobo,
    not in the memory modules. You can't buy dual-channel mode memory
    because the controllers are on the mobo. You don't stick in one memory
    stick and suddenly have dual-channel mode. Sticking in 2 same memory
    sticks in 2 slots of your mobo doesn't magically change those memory
    sticks into something else.

    Whether you get single-, dual-, or triple-channel memory mode support
    depends entirely on what motherboard you buy. If you see dual or triple
    channel mentioned for sale of memory that's because they're bundling the
    same module type in pairs or triples to ensure you use compatible
    modules in each slot in the *motherboard*.

    http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/what-is-tri-channel-memory/
    "It is important to keep in mind that tri-channel is not a feature
    granted to memory modules. Rather, tri-channel capabilities are strictly
    governed by the chipset featured on a motherboard."

    After you determine which mobo you are going to use determines whether
    single-, dual-, or triple-channel mode is supported. THEN you decide on
    which memory modules to buy (and use the same one for each slot to
    ensure compatibility in architecture as well as matching specs). So go
    read the manual for your motherboard to determine what memory you will
    get and how it will get arranged on the motherboard.

    VanguardLH, Jun 6, 2010

  2. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    wrote:

    > On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 18:59:49 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> 8 Gb dual channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz or a little extra money
    >>> ($160) for 12Gb tri-channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz O/S will be
    >>> Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.
    >>>
    >>> i7 920 processor.

    >> The memory modules don't have a clue as to whether your mobo
    >> supports single-, dual-, or triple-channel mode. That is a function
    >> in the mobo, not in the memory modules.
    >>
    >> Whether you get single-, dual-, or triple-channel memory mode
    >> support depends entirely on what motherboard you buy.
    >>
    >> http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/what-is-tri-channel-memory/
    >> "It is important to keep in mind that tri-channel is not a feature
    >> granted to memory modules. Rather, tri-channel capabilities are
    >> strictly governed by the chipset featured on a motherboard."
    >>
    >> So go read the manual for your motherboard to determine what memory
    >> you will get and how it will get arranged on the motherboard.

    > Sorry, probably should have mentioned. This is an option on a
    > customized Dell Studio XPS 9000 I'm looking at. Base price includes
    > the 8Gb dual channel and the a little bit more you can get 12Gb
    > tri-channel.

    You're at the slow end (1066) for DDR3. I doubt you'll see any speed
    boost in your real apps (versus a miniscule change reported by
    benchmarking) in going from dual- to triple-channel.

    2x2GB (a pair of 2GB memory sticks) for DDR3 1066 cost about $100. It's
    up to you if you want to spend the extra $60 to get triple-channel
    support; however, if the option exists to get triple-channel then the
    mobo already supports triple-channel although you'd only be getting
    dual-channel with the 8GB setup. You could get the 8GB now, run it in
    dual-channel mode, and then add 4GB later when you decide you need it
    (and consequently also get triple-channel mode).

    Check with a Dell rep if the model you are looking at supports both
    dual- and triple-channel mode so you can upgrade later from 8GB to 12GB
    and also move from dual- to triple-channel mode. It is highly likely
    the same mobo is inside the case so triple-channel will be supported
    when you later add another 4GB to go to 12GB.

    If the Dell rep can't help you, ask for a different rep that isn't so
    stupid as to what features are available in whatever mobo that Dell
    decided to slap in that model. Otherwise, just go read the online
    manual for that model available from their web site.

    VanguardLH, Jun 6, 2010