Re: Dual channel memory

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by WinXP_Powered, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. Barry Watzman wrote:
    > Anyone know of a utility [preferably free] that actually and explicitly
    > tells you if a computer which is dual channel capable is actually
    > running in dual channel memory mode? I will be putting two "different
    > but similar" memory modules into a Toshiba A105 laptop (Intel chipset)
    > and want to know if they are similar enough to actually be running dual
    > channel.
    >
    > [Different but similar - One module made by Elpida, one by Hynix, but as
    > far as I can outwardly tell, both have the exact same specs, including
    > as many of the timing specs as I can identify, and both apparently have
    > the same internal organization.]

    What about memtest86+ or the original memtest86??

    --------
    See the screenshots at: http://www.memtest.org/#screen

    These screenshots from memtest86+ show the mode and timings. I wonder if
    it just reads the configuration or if it actually verifies the machine
    is running in dual channel mode? I'd try emailing the authors of both
    programs.

    You have an excellent question and now I'm curious to learn the answer, too.

    John
    WinXP_Powered, Mar 2, 2006

  2. Glad that worked for you. I learned from your question, too.

    WinXP_Powered, Mar 4, 2006