Re: DSLRs with inbuilt GPS

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MC, Feb 9, 2011.

  1. MC

    MC Guest

    bobwilliams wrote:

    > Alfred Molon wrote:
    > > Is there any specific reason why only one DLSR (the Sony A55)
    > > currently has inbuilt GPS, while several compacts have inbuilt GPS?

    > Probably to work out any bugs before putting the feature into their
    > flagship products. Remember not so long ago only P/S cameras could
    > take movies. DSLR folks considered it a passing fancy and a sure sign
    > of a novice photographer. Now it is a "must have" feature on DSLRs.
    > Bob Williams

    Why is it a "must have". Not for everyone it isn't. I bought my DSLRs
    for their still picture taking capabilities not for video. To me they
    are an unwanted feature that never gets used. I would rather pay less
    for the cameras and not had the video feature. After all I am not a
    videographer. So, for me anyway, the video feature is yet another
    gimmick.

    MC
    MC, Feb 9, 2011

  2. MC

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 15:06:39 GMT, "MC" <> wrote:

    >bobwilliams wrote:
    >
    >> Alfred Molon wrote:
    >> > Is there any specific reason why only one DLSR (the Sony A55)
    >> > currently has inbuilt GPS, while several compacts have inbuilt GPS?

    >> Probably to work out any bugs before putting the feature into their
    >> flagship products. Remember not so long ago only P/S cameras could
    >> take movies. DSLR folks considered it a passing fancy and a sure sign
    >> of a novice photographer. Now it is a "must have" feature on DSLRs.
    >> Bob Williams

    >Why is it a "must have". Not for everyone it isn't. I bought my DSLRs
    >for their still picture taking capabilities not for video. To me they
    >are an unwanted feature that never gets used. I would rather pay less
    >for the cameras and not had the video feature. After all I am not a
    >videographer. So, for me anyway, the video feature is yet another
    >gimmick.

    Once again, it's shown that a "gimmick" is what we use to describe a
    feature in which we do not have a personal interest.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Feb 9, 2011

  3. MC

    MC Guest

    tony cooper wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 15:06:39 GMT, "MC" <> wrote:
    >
    > > bobwilliams wrote:

    > GPS? >>
    > >> Probably to work out any bugs before putting the feature into their
    > >> flagship products. Remember not so long ago only P/S cameras

    > could >> take movies. DSLR folks considered it a passing fancy and a
    > sure sign >> of a novice photographer. Now it is a "must have"
    > feature on DSLRs. >> Bob Williams
    > >
    > > Why is it a "must have". Not for everyone it isn't. I bought my
    > > DSLRs for their still picture taking capabilities not for video.
    > > To me they are an unwanted feature that never gets used. I would
    > > rather pay less for the cameras and not had the video feature.
    > > After all I am not a videographer. So, for me anyway, the video
    > > feature is yet another gimmick.
    > >

    > Once again, it's shown that a "gimmick" is what we use to describe a
    > feature in which we do not have a personal interest.

    It is also a feature that would not detract from normal functionallity
    if it were not there.

    MC
    MC, Feb 9, 2011
  4. MC

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, MC <>
    wrote:

    > > > Why is it a "must have". Not for everyone it isn't. I bought my
    > > > DSLRs for their still picture taking capabilities not for video.
    > > > To me they are an unwanted feature that never gets used. I would
    > > > rather pay less for the cameras and not had the video feature.
    > > > After all I am not a videographer. So, for me anyway, the video
    > > > feature is yet another gimmick.

    > > Once again, it's shown that a "gimmick" is what we use to describe a
    > > feature in which we do not have a personal interest.

    > It is also a feature that would not detract from normal functionallity
    > if it were not there.

    it would for the people who want that feature.
    nospam, Feb 9, 2011
  5. MC

    Peter N Guest

    On 2/9/2011 10:06 AM, MC wrote:
    > bobwilliams wrote:
    >
    >> Alfred Molon wrote:
    >>> Is there any specific reason why only one DLSR (the Sony A55)
    >>> currently has inbuilt GPS, while several compacts have inbuilt GPS?

    >> Probably to work out any bugs before putting the feature into their
    >> flagship products. Remember not so long ago only P/S cameras could
    >> take movies. DSLR folks considered it a passing fancy and a sure sign
    >> of a novice photographer. Now it is a "must have" feature on DSLRs.
    >> Bob Williams

    > Why is it a "must have". Not for everyone it isn't. I bought my DSLRs
    > for their still picture taking capabilities not for video. To me they
    > are an unwanted feature that never gets used. I would rather pay less
    > for the cameras and not had the video feature. After all I am not a
    > videographer. So, for me anyway, the video feature is yet another
    > gimmick.

    For me it is also, now. When the kids were growing up I carried both a
    still and movie camera on vacations. For some it enables a serious
    photographer, who also wants videos of the kids to carry only one camera.
    There is a definite market for the feature.

    --
    Peter
    Peter N, Feb 10, 2011
  6. > For me it is also, now. When the kids were growing up I carried both a
    > still and movie camera on vacations. For some it enables a serious
    > photographer, who also wants videos of the kids to carry only one
    > camera.
    > There is a definite market for the feature.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    I find that an occasional short video clip can add a lot to certain
    subjects, and help create a better impression of the atmosphere. Motor
    racing and rolling seas come to mind.

    David
    David J Taylor, Feb 11, 2011
  7. MC

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Feb 11, 10:45 am, Better Info <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:55:46 -0000, "David J Taylor"
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >> For me it is also, now. When the kids were growing up I carried both a
    > >> still and movie camera on vacations. For some it enables a serious
    > >> photographer, who also wants videos of the kids to carry only one
    > >> camera.
    > >> There is a definite market for the feature.

    > >> --
    > >> Peter

    > >I find that an occasional short video clip can add a lot to certain
    > >subjects, and help create a better impression of the atmosphere.  Motor
    > >racing and rolling seas come to mind.

    > >David

    > There is much in nature photography that can never be captured in a
    > still-frame. Like the slowly rising mists out of a coniferous mountain
    > forests in the morning light, looking for all the world as if the
    > underbrush is ready to ignite into a full roaring forest-fire. The mating
    > calls and displays of two members of a species in full courtship.

    Yep, I've got some of those 'movies' ;-)

    > The way
    > that a mountain pinnacle will rip a string of clouds out of a clear sunset
    > sky. How a burying beetle accomplishes burying a whole snake.

    And there's those 'sporting' accidents, nothing quite like watching
    those back in slow mo.
    Whisky-dave, Feb 11, 2011
  8. MC

    Peter N Guest

    On 2/11/2011 4:55 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
    >> For me it is also, now. When the kids were growing up I carried both a
    >> still and movie camera on vacations. For some it enables a serious
    >> photographer, who also wants videos of the kids to carry only one camera.
    >> There is a definite market for the feature.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > I find that an occasional short video clip can add a lot to certain
    > subjects, and help create a better impression of the atmosphere. Motor
    > racing and rolling seas come to mind.

    I can see an emerging art form of mixed still and video, once we get
    past the gee whiz shooters.

    For my personal taste I like the challenge of making to make nature come
    alive with a still image, which is frequently abstract. I believe that
    less is more especially when something is left to the viewer's imagination.

    YMMV
    --
    Peter
    Peter N, Feb 12, 2011
  9. MC

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 20:02:00 -0500, Peter N
    <> wrote:

    >On 2/11/2011 4:55 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
    >>> For me it is also, now. When the kids were growing up I carried both a
    >>> still and movie camera on vacations. For some it enables a serious
    >>> photographer, who also wants videos of the kids to carry only one camera.
    >>> There is a definite market for the feature.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Peter

    >> I find that an occasional short video clip can add a lot to certain
    >> subjects, and help create a better impression of the atmosphere. Motor
    >> racing and rolling seas come to mind.
    >>

    >I can see an emerging art form of mixed still and video, once we get
    >past the gee whiz shooters.
    >
    >For my personal taste I like the challenge of making to make nature come
    >alive with a still image, which is frequently abstract. I believe that
    >less is more especially when something is left to the viewer's imagination.

    If that is what you believe, the Superzoom The Troll is the group's
    best photographer.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Feb 12, 2011
  10. MC

    Peter N Guest

    On 2/11/2011 9:34 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 20:02:00 -0500, Peter N
    > <> wrote:

    >>> I find that an occasional short video clip can add a lot to certain
    >>> subjects, and help create a better impression of the atmosphere. Motor
    >>> racing and rolling seas come to mind.
    >>>

    >> I can see an emerging art form of mixed still and video, once we get
    >> past the gee whiz shooters.
    >>
    >> For my personal taste I like the challenge of making to make nature come
    >> alive with a still image, which is frequently abstract. I believe that
    >> less is more especially when something is left to the viewer's imagination.
    >>

    > If that is what you believe, the Superzoom The Troll is the group's
    > best photographer.

    <G> Almost any statement will fail if carried to its driely logical
    extreme.
    However, I stated the viewer's, not the maker's imagination.

    --
    Peter
    When taking a Rosarch test, it's not a good idea to say: "it looks like
    Peter N, Feb 12, 2011
  11. MC

    Peter N Guest

    On 2/13/2011 12:34 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2011.02.12 11:21 , Peter N wrote:
    >
    >> <G> Almost any statement will fail if carried to its driely logical
    >> extreme.
    >> However, I stated the viewer's, not the maker's imagination.

    > This is usenet. No quarter. No pardons. No exceptions.
    >
    > ;-)

    Sorry, I lost my head. I didn't appreciate the gravity of the situation.

    --
    Peter
    Peter N, Feb 14, 2011