Re: DSLR Magic, etc, do m4/3 no favours

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joe Kotroczo, Sep 22, 2012.

  1. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 22/09/2012 06:20, Rich wrote:
    > They may be making the lenses in that mount, but there is no point in
    > having such large housings for these optics, in some cases. Note the lens
    > element size of the 35mm f1.4. Then compare it to (for example) to the
    > Olympus diminutive 12mm f2.0 where the lens size closely matches the size
    > of the optical elements.
    > Same thing is seen with the Samyang optics which support FF sensors and as
    > a result are much larger in most cases than they would need to be to
    > support APS and m4/3.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8732265638/photokina-2012-slr-magic-stand-
    > report

    Uh, thanks for pointing those out! They will be great for using with the
    Panasonic AG-AF101 that we've been using so far with a m3/4 to EF
    adapter. They even have gears for follow focus. Nice.

    --
    audentes fortuna iuvat
    Joe Kotroczo, Sep 22, 2012

  2. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 22/09/2012 10:36, Rich wrote:
    > Joe Kotroczo <> wrote in
    >
    >> On 22/09/2012 06:20, Rich wrote:
    >>> They may be making the lenses in that mount, but there is no point in
    >>> having such large housings for these optics, in some cases. Note the
    >>> lens element size of the 35mm f1.4. Then compare it to (for example)
    >>> to the Olympus diminutive 12mm f2.0 where the lens size closely
    >>> matches the size of the optical elements.
    >>> Same thing is seen with the Samyang optics which support FF sensors
    >>> and as a result are much larger in most cases than they would need to
    >>> be to support APS and m4/3.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8732265638/photokina-2012-slr-magic-s
    >>> tand- report
    >>>

    >> Uh, thanks for pointing those out! They will be great for using with
    >> the Panasonic AG-AF101 that we've been using so far with a m3/4 to EF
    >> adapter. They even have gears for follow focus. Nice.
    >>

    > For video I can see it.
    > Kind of like how Zeiss thought Nikon users would cobble 3lb. primes on
    > their cameras, Zeiss cine lenses with Nikon DSLR mounts. I don't know of
    > anyone who has bought one.

    Well, 3lb. is very lightweight for a cine lens.

    But you're right, I've not heard of anyone doing video on Nikon dSLRs,
    that market is firmly in the hands of Canon.

    --
    audentes fortuna iuvat
    Joe Kotroczo, Sep 22, 2012