Re: DSE Router/Modem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. na wrote:
    > Need to understand the implications of firewalling if I go ADSL,
    > probably will only install Jetstream starter initially. How safe is the
    > firewall that goes with the router.

    No comment on how safe it is, but you are not able to get incomming connections
    without pinholing them, and the PC has no idea of the WAN IP address so lots of
    things break.

    Upnp is supposed to solve this, but I know people with routers that claim to do
    it, and nothing has changed with not being able to send files in MSN etc. New
    MSN will send thru the MSN servers, but that is soooo slow. Also, video and
    phone programs will break. Blame telecom for now allowing more then 1 IP address
    per connection.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    na Guest

    Thanks Nathan might just have a look at this option as well, from reading
    the fact sheet I am presuming I don't have to get telecom in to install a
    filter which lowers the cost to me of either the 300 or 300w by the $150
    difference in install fees..

    "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@ldsnfljkdslfjndSPAMSUCKS!!mcs.co.nz> wrote in
    message news:3f0cc972$...
    > I thoroughly recommend you consider the Dynalink RTA300W
    > http://www.dynalink.co.nz/products/rta300w.htm
    >
    > DSL modem, 802.11b wireless, 4 port 100mb switch, all in one unit. And

    most

    na, Jul 10, 2003

  3. "na" <> wrote in message news:beilb9$f5f$...
    > Thanks Nathan might just have a look at this option as well, from reading
    > the fact sheet I am presuming I don't have to get telecom in to install a
    > filter which lowers the cost to me of either the 300 or 300w by the $150
    > difference in install fees..

    Yes I think so. AFAIK the Dynalink comes with an inline filter in the box
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 10, 2003