Re: DS9 Season 4 video flaw?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by SloPoke, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. SloPoke

    SloPoke Guest

    Impmon <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 10:09:45 -0700, SloPoke <> typed:
    >
    >>I've watched the first disc of DS9 season 4, and I've noticed
    >>something in the video that I've not seen before on the previous sets.
    >>On almost the centre of the right half of the screen, in all the disc
    >>1 episodes, on alternating scenes, there is a small white dot that
    >>sometimes crawls up the screen, and sometimes crawls down. It might
    >>not be noticeable unless you have a big screen tv, but it's there on
    >>my set, and kind of irritating. Does anyone else see this? A flaw in
    >>the video transfer?

    >Doesn't show up on my 27" TV. Could be your disks are bad or there's
    >something with your DVD player. Try those shows on a different DVD
    >player. If the white dot shows up, take DS9 back for exchange. If they
    >don't show up, DS9 may be doing something that's incompatible with your
    >player.

    Could be a bad disc. I played it back on my PC using PowerDVD, and
    the artifact is still there. For instance, at about 13:00 in the
    first EP, during the conversation in the holosuite, there is a tiny
    white dot that looks like it's part of the video that crawls up and
    down as the scene changes. At 13:30, the dot is on the actor's cheek
    and crawls up over her eye to her forehead for about 10 seconds as the
    scene plays.

    I'll get the set replaced and see if it's still there.
    SloPoke, Aug 7, 2003

  2. SloPoke

    SloPoke Guest

    SloPoke <> wrote:

    >Impmon <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 10:09:45 -0700, SloPoke <> typed:
    >>
    >>>I've watched the first disc of DS9 season 4, and I've noticed
    >>>something in the video that I've not seen before on the previous sets.
    >>>On almost the centre of the right half of the screen, in all the disc
    >>>1 episodes, on alternating scenes, there is a small white dot that
    >>>sometimes crawls up the screen, and sometimes crawls down. It might
    >>>not be noticeable unless you have a big screen tv, but it's there on
    >>>my set, and kind of irritating. Does anyone else see this? A flaw in
    >>>the video transfer?

    >>Doesn't show up on my 27" TV. Could be your disks are bad or there's
    >>something with your DVD player. Try those shows on a different DVD
    >>player. If the white dot shows up, take DS9 back for exchange. If they
    >>don't show up, DS9 may be doing something that's incompatible with your
    >>player.

    >Could be a bad disc. I played it back on my PC using PowerDVD, and
    >the artifact is still there. For instance, at about 13:00 in the
    >first EP, during the conversation in the holosuite, there is a tiny
    >white dot that looks like it's part of the video that crawls up and
    >down as the scene changes. At 13:30, the dot is on the actor's cheek
    >and crawls up over her eye to her forehead for about 10 seconds as the
    >scene plays.
    >
    >I'll get the set replaced and see if it's still there.

    Got a new set, the artifact is still there. It's also on at least the
    first EP of the second disc too. Hardly noticeable if you have a
    smaller screen TV, but on a 56", it stands out like a sore thumb.
    Looks like a drop of water sliding down the lense (or up in some
    scenes). Once you've noticed it, it's hard to overlook.
    SloPoke, Aug 7, 2003