Re: Dropbox adds secure capabilities

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rikishi42, Nov 18, 2013.

  1. Rikishi42

    Rikishi42 Guest

    On 2013-11-15, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/15/dropbox_secures_for_business/

    Secure from what, themselves ?
    Nonsence.

    The day businesses come to their senses, they will set up their own
    dropbox-like servers, instead of entrusting it with some company over which
    they have no control. The software producer that sells a 'make your own
    dropbox' software could actually make some serious money.

    --
    When in doubt, use brute force.
    -- Ken Thompson

    Rikishi42, Nov 18, 2013

  2. Rikishi42

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Rikishi42
    <> wrote:

    > The day businesses come to their senses, they will set up their own
    > dropbox-like servers, instead of entrusting it with some company over which
    > they have no control. The software producer that sells a 'make your own
    > dropbox' software could actually make some serious money.

    there are some personal cloud options, and the companies that offer it
    aren't making 'serious money'.

    encrypt before uploading. end of problem.

    nospam, Nov 18, 2013

  3. Rikishi42

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On 2013-11-15, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/15/dropbox_secures_for_business/

    > Secure from what, themselves ?
    > Nonsence.
    >
    > The day businesses come to their senses, they will set up their own
    > dropbox-like servers, instead of entrusting it with some company over which
    > they have no control. The software producer that sells a 'make your own
    > dropbox' software could actually make some serious money.

    If you're Microsoft with multiple high bandwidth lines coming into your
    server farms "make your own dropbox" makes sense. If you're the local
    food bank then it becomes a nonproductive consumer of resources and
    using a service makes more sense.

    J. Clarke, Nov 19, 2013
  4. Rikishi42

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>, Rikishi42 wrote:

    > > Eric Stevens:
    > > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/15/dropbox_secures_for_business/

    > Secure from what, themselves ? Nonsence.

    > The day businesses come to their senses, they will set up their own
    > dropbox-like servers, instead of entrusting it with some company
    > over which they have no control. The software producer that sells a
    > 'make your own dropbox' software could actually make some serious
    > money.

    It's called webdav, is free and has been around for ages. Problem is, it
    requires your own hardware, and hardware maintenance is a huge problem for
    smaller companies, larger companies with an IT department usually doesn't
    use dropbox anyway.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Nov 19, 2013
  5. Rikishi42

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/19/2013 3:33 AM, YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle wrote:
    > Le 19/11/13 00:27, Rikishi42 a écrit :
    >> On 2013-11-15, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/15/dropbox_secures_for_business/

    >> Secure from what, themselves ?
    >> Nonsence.
    >>
    >> The day businesses come to their senses, they will set up their own
    >> dropbox-like servers, instead of entrusting it with some company over
    >> which
    >> they have no control. The software producer that sells a 'make your own
    >> dropbox' software could actually make some serious money.

    > Totally.
    >>

    > I use owncloud, that halas happens to be free software. Not free of
    > bugs, that is ...It just do that : provide sync access to dropbox-like
    > servers you control.
    > For us europeans, letting our data in the hands of a company that is
    > bound by law to give access to it's clients files to US gov request with
    > no justification whatsoever AND with no protection at all (the US law
    > protect US citizens only ) does not look very appealling.
    > Having our heads of State communications spied on is bad enough.

    I think most countries spy on each other. (Some just don't have the bad
    luck to get caught.) There is no such thing as true friendship between
    countries. Just alliances of convenience. I am one of those people who
    would like to see the aforesaid reality no longer in existence. Total
    world peace would be a wonderful thing.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Nov 19, 2013
  6. Rikishi42

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/19/2013 4:05 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 07:20:40 -0500, PeterN
    > <> wrote:

    >>> Totally.
    >>>>
    >>> I use owncloud, that halas happens to be free software. Not free of
    >>> bugs, that is ...It just do that : provide sync access to dropbox-like
    >>> servers you control.
    >>> For us europeans, letting our data in the hands of a company that is
    >>> bound by law to give access to it's clients files to US gov request with
    >>> no justification whatsoever AND with no protection at all (the US law
    >>> protect US citizens only ) does not look very appealling.
    >>> Having our heads of State communications spied on is bad enough.

    >> I think most countries spy on each other. (Some just don't have the bad
    >> luck to get caught.) There is no such thing as true friendship between
    >> countries. Just alliances of convenience. I am one of those people who
    >> would like to see the aforesaid reality no longer in existence. Total
    >> world peace would be a wonderful thing.

    > Otherwise known as the 'entropy death' ... :-(

    A failure of entropy would be a good thing, but not too realistic.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Nov 19, 2013