Re: driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 9, 2009.

  1. eugene wrote:

    > .. I was given an SD card to try and recover some lost photos for a
    > local church minister. I managed to do this but since then my PC has
    > gone haywire.

    Sounds like you might be infected with the Conficker worm, or something
    similar. This page says it can spread via USB and camera devices, near
    the end of the article.
    <http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/159890/conficker_worm_gets_an_evil_twin.html>

    > I am now trying to write a DVD of wedding photos and that too seems to
    > be affected.

    ...and it is trying to propagate. Google: remove conficker

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 9, 2009

  2. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    philo Guest

    eugene wrote:

    >> eugene wrote:
    >>
    >>> .. I was given an SD card to try and recover some lost photos for a
    >>> local church minister. I managed to do this but since then my PC has
    >>> gone haywire.

    >> Sounds like you might be infected with the Conficker worm, or something
    >> similar. This page says it can spread via USB and camera devices, near
    >> the end of the article.
    >> <http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/159890/conficker_worm_gets_an_evil_twin.html>
    >>

    >>> I am now trying to write a DVD of wedding photos and that too seems to
    >>> be affected.

    >> ..and it is trying to propagate. Google: remove conficker
    >>
    >> --
    >> -bts
    >> -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

    > I just downloaded a program to look for and remove Conficker but it
    > wasn't detected

    Boot to safe mode and re-run your virus checker

    philo, Jul 9, 2009

  3. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    philo Guest

    eugene wrote:

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> eugene wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:h34jvl$kln$-september.org...

    >>> I just downloaded a program to look for and remove Conficker but it
    >>> wasn't detected

    >> Boot to safe mode and re-run your virus checker

    > I did that and it worked to a point.I am no longer getting any alerts.
    > However, there has been a change somewhere? When I explore "my
    > computer", where it was always displaying my CD drive and the various
    > card reader slots individually, it now displays two CD drives and four
    > removable disc selections. I cannot write data CDs or DVDs yet my Roxio
    > is showing as being okay with the most current driver. Things just ain't
    > right I'm afraid. Oh, I tried to do a system restore but it did not work
    > and displayed an error. Any more suggestions philo?
    > And also, previously when I put in a CD or SD card, it opened or played
    > automatically. That has also stopped happening.

    Sometimes the only sure way you have a making sure all virus damage is
    gone is to backup your data and scan it for malware...
    then format the drive and perform a clean install

    philo, Jul 10, 2009
  4. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Guest

    "eugene" <> wrote:

    >> Boot to safe mode and re-run your virus checker

    >I did that and it worked to a point.I am no longer getting any alerts.
    >However, there has been a change somewhere? When I explore "my computer",
    >where it was always displaying my CD drive and the various card reader slots
    >individually, it now displays two CD drives and four removable disc
    >selections. I cannot write data CDs or DVDs yet my Roxio is showing as being
    >okay with the most current driver. Things just ain't right I'm afraid. Oh, I
    >tried to do a system restore but it did not work and displayed an error. Any
    >more suggestions philo?
    >And also, previously when I put in a CD or SD card, it opened or played
    >automatically. That has also stopped happening.

    Same thing is happening to me, (things just ain't working right) If I
    go to "startup and Recovery" my boot.ini changes (DEP is removed)
    /NoExecute=Optin is deleted from one of my two system startup lines;
    This from a Read only boot.ini and I don't do anything but view the
    "startup and Recovery" page, I edit the boot.ini with a text editor,
    and check it regularly to make sure it's hasn't changed.

    I just installed Opera, and FireFox this after removing every trace of
    each, and I can't view GIF animations - it's important for me to do
    so. I boot into my backup system, XP home which has FireFox 1.0.4
    installed and GIF animations work just fine. (I dual boot Home and
    Pro)

    That's just the tip of my problems. I'm hoping it's a rootkit as I
    can't find anything else wrong, if not, it's a memory slot and a new
    motherboard will be required.

    I'm in the process of formatting my E drive (XP Pro), I started last
    night :) I'm moving the three windows directories
    Documents and Settings, Windows, and Program files,
    to other locations, so I can pick thru them if need be.

    Then will format my E drive and install a slipstream'd XPSP3.

    As philo mentioned, sometimes you just need to format. My systems have
    been installed for 4 years now, it's time.

    I'm going to lose COD5 as I can't find the CD, and I'm part of a Clan
    (http://clandhd.net/) :) never liked the game to begin with, COD4 will
    still work, same profile - that's my game :)

    Not suggesting you format your drive, just that sometimes you need to.

    I do suggest getting rid of Roxio, it might of changed by now but the
    older versions could really screw up a system.

    --

    Never knew what bit em.
    http://imgur.com/id7O4.jpg

    , Jul 11, 2009
  5. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    philo Guest

    eugene wrote:

    > <> wrote in message

    >>> I did that and it worked to a point.I am no longer getting any alerts.
    >>> However, there has been a change somewhere? When I explore "my
    >>> computer",
    >>> where it was always displaying my CD drive and the various card
    >>> reader slots
    >>> individually, it now displays two CD drives and four removable disc
    >>> selections. I cannot write data CDs or DVDs yet my Roxio is showing
    >>> as being
    >>> okay with the most current driver. Things just ain't right I'm
    >>> afraid. Oh, I
    >>> tried to do a system restore but it did not work and displayed an
    >>> error. Any
    >>> more suggestions philo?
    >>> And also, previously when I put in a CD or SD card, it opened or played
    >>> automatically. That has also stopped happening.

    >> Same thing is happening to me, (things just ain't working right) If I
    >> go to "startup and Recovery" my boot.ini changes (DEP is removed)
    >> /NoExecute=Optin is deleted from one of my two system startup lines;
    >> This from a Read only boot.ini and I don't do anything but view the
    >> "startup and Recovery" page, I edit the boot.ini with a text editor,
    >> and check it regularly to make sure it's hasn't changed.
    >>
    >> I just installed Opera, and FireFox this after removing every trace of
    >> each, and I can't view GIF animations - it's important for me to do
    >> so. I boot into my backup system, XP home which has FireFox 1.0.4
    >> installed and GIF animations work just fine. (I dual boot Home and
    >> Pro)
    >>
    >> That's just the tip of my problems. I'm hoping it's a rootkit as I
    >> can't find anything else wrong, if not, it's a memory slot and a new
    >> motherboard will be required.
    >>
    >> I'm in the process of formatting my E drive (XP Pro), I started last
    >> night :) I'm moving the three windows directories
    >> Documents and Settings, Windows, and Program files,
    >> to other locations, so I can pick thru them if need be.
    >>
    >> Then will format my E drive and install a slipstream'd XPSP3.
    >>
    >> As philo mentioned, sometimes you just need to format. My systems have
    >> been installed for 4 years now, it's time.
    >>
    >> I'm going to lose COD5 as I can't find the CD, and I'm part of a Clan
    >> (http://clandhd.net/) :) never liked the game to begin with, COD4 will
    >> still work, same profile - that's my game :)
    >>
    >> Not suggesting you format your drive, just that sometimes you need to.
    >>
    >> I do suggest getting rid of Roxio, it might of changed by now but the
    >> older versions could really screw up a system.

    > I reinstalled SpyBot and SpyDoctor, did a scan in Safe Mode last night
    > and lo and behold, everything is working normally today! Even Roxio!
    > Thank God and Philo for that. Thanks guys
    >>
    >> -

    Hey glad got it going without having to reinstall!

    I've never seen a sentance before with "God" and my name in it before
    LOL!!!!

    philo, Jul 11, 2009