Re: Driver for Scanner Canon USB 650U

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by ocbwilg, May 9, 2005.

  1. ocbwilg

    ocbwilg Guest

    "David R. Norton MVP" <> wrote in message
    > "Markus Pubantz" <> wrote in:
    >
    >> it gives driver for this scanner already for XP64? Or can one take
    >> the normal XP-driver?

    > The normal XP drive probably won't work because it's not a 64 bit
    > driver but you might try "decorating" the .inf file and see if that
    > will make it work. Here's an article on how to "decorate" an .inf
    > file:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;888728
    >
    > You can edit .inf files with Notepad. Notice the "NTamd64" will
    > probably have to be added at least twice, maybe more.

    Decorating a 32-bit driver will not make it 64-bit. It will just make it
    decorated (and therefore compatible with Windows 2003 Server SP1). If it
    runs in kernel mode (as most drivers do) it must be recompiled.
    ocbwilg, May 9, 2005

  2. "ocbwilg" <> wrote in:

    > "David R. Norton MVP" <> wrote in
    > message news:Xns965153C1EF114drnortonyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
    >> "Markus Pubantz" <> wrote in:
    >>
    >>> it gives driver for this scanner already for XP64? Or can one
    >>> take the normal XP-driver?

    >> The normal XP drive probably won't work because it's not a 64 bit
    >> driver but you might try "decorating" the .inf file and see if
    >> that will make it work. Here's an article on how to "decorate"
    >> an .inf file:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;888728
    >>
    >> You can edit .inf files with Notepad. Notice the "NTamd64" will
    >> probably have to be added at least twice, maybe more.

    > Decorating a 32-bit driver will not make it 64-bit. It will just
    > make it decorated (and therefore compatible with Windows 2003
    > Server SP1). If it runs in kernel mode (as most drivers do) it
    > must be recompiled.

    It depends entirely on the device, decorating the driver worked
    perfectly for my USB scanner and it's worth a try with every device.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, May 9, 2005