Re: drive problem dvd

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Jun 1, 2009.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    remove <"welsh(remove)wizard29"@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > My DVD Rom drive has failed to recognise any disc (CD or
    > DVD) since I had to perform a total reload of my Windows XP
    > with the Time reload CD. It's no big deal provided my DVD
    > Ram drive was ok.
    >

    > It no longer recognises DVD blank discs! It recognises and
    > records CD-R's ok, recognises and plays DVD movies,
    > recognises PC game install DVD's - but simply does NOT
    > recognise blank DVD's at all.
    >
    > Any idea why and what I can do to rectify the prob?
    >
    > The Drives are:
    >
    > Ram - MAT****A DVD-RAM SW-9581 (that is, MAT S.H.I.T.A)
    > Rom - DVD-16X DVD-ROM BDV316C

    Google for "DVD drive no longer recognized". MS has a very
    simple registry correction to fix this but Googling is easier
    than wading through MS's incomprehensibly-structured and indexed
    KB.
    If that's not he exact problem, that KB article it will probably
    give you a link to the right one.

    --
    Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
    are suitable, but will Pam secure that?
    thanatoid, Jun 1, 2009

  2. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "Baird" <> wrote in

    For the OP:
    Top-posted disclaimer:
    I apologize if you find the following to contain no useful
    info/advice whatsoever.

    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >> remove <"welsh(remove)wizard29"@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> My DVD Rom drive has failed to recognise any disc (CD or
    >>> DVD) since I had to perform a total reload of my Windows
    >>> XP with the Time reload CD. It's no big deal provided my
    >>> DVD Ram drive was ok.
    >>>
    >>> It no longer recognises DVD blank discs! It recognises
    >>> and records CD-R's ok, recognises and plays DVD movies,
    >>> recognises PC game install DVD's - but simply does NOT
    >>> recognise blank DVD's at all.

    <SNIP>

    >>> Ram - MAT****A DVD-RAM SW-9581 (that is, MAT S.H.I.T.A)
    >>> Rom - DVD-16X DVD-ROM BDV316C

    Matsushita is Panasonic and (especially) seeing what else is in
    the stores these days, that's not a bad brand. The BTC
    ("Behavior Tech Computer" brand) is not something I would put in
    my machine.

    Also, there are DVD drives that do all flavors of DVD (+, -,
    /and/RAM), so why do you have two - neither of which does
    everything? Buying the right product and keeping things simple
    is a good general policy.

    >> Google for "DVD drive no longer recognized". MS has a very
    >> simple registry correction to fix this but Googling is
    >> easier than wading through MS's
    >> incomprehensibly-structured and indexed KB.
    >> If that's not he exact problem, that KB article it will
    >> probably give you a link to the right one.

    <SNIP>

    > He didn't say the drive is not recognised, it is and can
    > read discs and play DVD's.

    I admit I didn't read /very/ carefully, but I did see it worked
    with most discs, and said that a solution for his specific
    problem may be found "nearby". I would blame the XP reinstall or
    manufacturer's "OS factory configuration" rather than the drive.

    > It dosen't recognise blank DVD media, probably all that is
    > required is a firmware
    > update as he is probably using new blank discs.

    Apparently some burners when used with newer-technology media
    (high-speed - that's ALL that matters, right?) require firmware
    updates, but it is possible the discs would work at slower
    speeds or are simply not very good at any speed. IMO, slower is
    better anyway.

    Anyway, firmware updates for your burners are easily found. Good
    quality media as well.

    <SNIP>

    thanatoid, Jun 1, 2009