Re: Drive letters in a XP/ XP64 dual boot?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Colin Barnhorst, Apr 2, 2008.

  1. Nothing to worry about. You'll be fine.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 2, 2008

  2. Since the XP Pro x64 setup is a 64bit program, you had no way to run it from
    the XP x86 desktop so setup had to use the BIOS enumeration of the drives.
    That's not an issue.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 2, 2008

  3. Colin Barnhorst

    John Barnes Guest

    Since 64-bit won't run 16-bit products anyway, you should have few if any
    problems with installations as Charlie pointed out. The hard coded C pretty
    much went out with the 16-bit installers. Early on, nVidia put the install
    files on C, but did the install to the proper os letter, but they haven't
    done that in a while.

    John Barnes, Apr 2, 2008
  4. Which programs?

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 3, 2008
  5. Colin Barnhorst

    Carlos Guest

    Colin,
    Hewlett-Packard software bundled with their printer drivers do it.
    Let's say you have your OS in disk D:
    Some parts, but not all of them, of the software gets installed to
    C:\Program Files thus commiting two atrocities.
    #1.- Hard coding "C:" as the drive
    #2.- Hard coding "Program Files" as the Program Files folder for EVERY
    language. In Spanish it is "Archivos de Programa"
    So, it should go to D:\Archivos de Programa and instead it writes to
    C:\Program Files
    C'mon, HP! You can do better than that.

    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 3, 2008
  6. Now don't get me wrong, I _love_ my HP ML350 server, but their software?
    Yeah.

    In my early days as a UNIX system administrator, we had HP-UX servers and I
    was the one responsible for them, and for working with their TS when we had
    problems. We had a 4-hour, on site, support contract on everything, even the
    printer. So if my printer went out at 3 in the morning on a Sunday... Yeah.
    I had the home phone numbers of everyone in my region, since we were a
    pretty high profile account. But we had a saying in those days...

    "HP - you can buy better, but you can't pay more!"

    It wasn't actually true then, and is probably even less so now. But it did
    express some of our frustration at times. I still love their servers, and
    even some of their printer models. (And heck, I've had this old JetDirectEX
    print server for more than 15 years, and it's still just sitting there,
    doing its thing.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64