Re: Drive failure?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by MeTech, Jul 24, 2005.

  1. MeTech

    MeTech Guest

    The incorrect clock is caused by the battery, replace it regardless.
    Bad batteries will cause BIOS settings to change which can affect
    the hard drive settings in the BIOS.

    Go into BIOS and look for the hard drive size.
    If nothing is there and the hard drive is physically installed, correctly,
    then look on the outside of the drive, for the capacity (heads, cylinders
    and sector count). If the BIOS doesn't support auto detect then put
    this information in. Leave LBA turned OFF and try again.

    Since you have swapped the hard drive, from later post from you, I would
    suspect the problem is in the BIOS settings caused by the bad or weak
    battery.

    Dell has some floppy based diagnostics that can test the machine. Have
    you gone to their website and downloaded them so you can run a test
    on the machine?

    The other possibility is a bad "on-board" IDE interface. If a known
    good drive fails in place of the possible bad drive then you might
    want to check this. You would need an external PCI IDE controller
    and turn off the BIOS controller before you could test this.

    That's my 2cents worth

    MeTech, Jul 24, 2005