Re: Drag/drop files into movie software - opinions ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Oct 5, 2008.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message

    >> Any suggestions for apps ( store-bought or free) that make it EASY to
    >> make a movie by simply "adding files to timeline" ? THEN I'd Play ,
    >> trim, insert titles, chapters etc. and eventually output to VCD or DVD.
    >>
    >> I often go on trips and use a digital camera. I copy mem stick to
    >> laptop each night at hotel. When I return home, I now have 25 folders
    >> (25 days) full of stuff and want to make a movie. Current camera output
    >> is .mov and .jpg. Previous camera was avi and jpg. Same issue: my
    >> desire is to now create a quick timeline by simply opening the app -
    >> select "import files", browse to each folder on laptop and " add all
    >> files" to movie timeline. I'd repeat that for each folder so that in a
    >> few minutes I'd have a timeline of ALL pix and videos. THEN I would
    >> tweak it /trim etc but would like it to be SIMPLE to "just do that".
    >> I've tried a few apps and have to open each file = ADD, open another,
    >> ADD, etc. For Nero when I elect " Make Video DVD", my only options are
    >> the Video files... Windows Movie Maker is easily overwhelmed and keeps
    >> pausing ( sometimes for 3-4-5 minutes) or hanging indefinitely due to
    >> size of projects.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any feedback.
    >>

    > All the major video editing software companys have a range of
    > products that have such features, even the inexpensive ones like
    > Magix and Ulead
    >
    > www.magix.com
    > www.ulead.com

    I checked samples/demo of those: same issue - I can " make a movie" by
    importing video (only ) but, can't
    " Open Folder" where all of the video(.mov) /pix (jpg) are and "drag to a
    timeline' to eaisly view. That's all I'm looking for - nothing fancy -
    just drag to a timeline - play .
    Currently I need to click on each movie - play.

    Ideally what I'm looking for is "Windows Picture and Fax viewer - View as
    Slideshow" that would also show videos - just to view them all - easily.

    I'll create a movie ( maybe, but another time) Then I could see -
    "Don't need this and this and this" and DELETE them as I'm going along.
    It's tedious each night to
    IMPORT - convert each mov to avi, wmv (or whatever format) to get into
    movie maker ( or these other apps I've tried)

    > They often have taliored programs to meet specific market needs,
    > as well. They could offer one that matches your need exactually.
    > The general purpose editing programs also have some means of
    > easing the effort to gather source media for projects, some are
    > more elaborate than others.
    >
    > There are also some 3rd party programs that aid in this process.
    > checkout the editing programs and other tools in the "Tools"
    > listing at
    >
    > www.videohelp.com
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    I'll check out Videohelp
    Thanks
    - Bobb -, Oct 5, 2008

  2. - Bobb -

    Telstar Guest

    > "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    >>> Any suggestions for apps ( store-bought or free) that make it EASY to
    >>> make a movie by simply "adding files to timeline" ? THEN I'd Play ,
    >>> trim, insert titles, chapters etc. and eventually output to VCD or DVD.
    >>>
    >>> I often go on trips and use a digital camera. I copy mem stick to laptop
    >>> each night at hotel. When I return home, I now have 25 folders (25 days)
    >>> full of stuff and want to make a movie. Current camera output is .mov
    >>> and .jpg. Previous camera was avi and jpg. Same issue: my desire is to
    >>> now create a quick timeline by simply opening the app - select "import
    >>> files", browse to each folder on laptop and " add all files" to movie
    >>> timeline. I'd repeat that for each folder so that in a few minutes I'd
    >>> have a timeline of ALL pix and videos. THEN I would tweak it /trim etc
    >>> but would like it to be SIMPLE to "just do that". I've tried a few apps
    >>> and have to open each file = ADD, open another, ADD, etc. For Nero when
    >>> I elect " Make Video DVD", my only options are the Video files...
    >>> Windows Movie Maker is easily overwhelmed and keeps pausing ( sometimes
    >>> for 3-4-5 minutes) or hanging indefinitely due to size of projects.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any feedback.
    >>>

    >> All the major video editing software companys have a range of
    >> products that have such features, even the inexpensive ones like
    >> Magix and Ulead
    >>
    >> www.magix.com
    >> www.ulead.com
    >>

    > I checked samples/demo of those: same issue - I can " make a movie" by
    > importing video (only ) but, can't
    > " Open Folder" where all of the video(.mov) /pix (jpg) are and "drag to a
    > timeline' to eaisly view. That's all I'm looking for - nothing fancy -
    > just drag to a timeline - play .
    > Currently I need to click on each movie - play.
    >
    > Ideally what I'm looking for is "Windows Picture and Fax viewer - View as
    > Slideshow" that would also show videos - just to view them all - easily.
    >
    > I'll create a movie ( maybe, but another time) Then I could see -
    > "Don't need this and this and this" and DELETE them as I'm going along.
    > It's tedious each night to
    > IMPORT - convert each mov to avi, wmv (or whatever format) to get into
    > movie maker ( or these other apps I've tried)

    Too bad. You have to. Physics are physics.
    Telstar, Oct 7, 2008

  3. - Bobb -

    Telstar Guest

    "Telstar" <> wrote in message

    >> "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    >>> All the major video editing software companys have a range of
    >>> products that have such features, even the inexpensive ones like
    >>> Magix and Ulead
    >>>
    >>> www.magix.com
    >>> www.ulead.com
    >>>

    >> I checked samples/demo of those: same issue - I can " make a movie" by
    >> importing video (only ) but, can't
    >> " Open Folder" where all of the video(.mov) /pix (jpg) are and "drag to a
    >> timeline' to eaisly view. That's all I'm looking for - nothing fancy -
    >> just drag to a timeline - play .
    >> Currently I need to click on each movie - play.
    >>
    >> Ideally what I'm looking for is "Windows Picture and Fax viewer - View as
    >> Slideshow" that would also show videos - just to view them all - easily.
    >>
    >> I'll create a movie ( maybe, but another time) Then I could see -
    >> "Don't need this and this and this" and DELETE them as I'm going along.
    >> It's tedious each night to
    >> IMPORT - convert each mov to avi, wmv (or whatever format) to get into
    >> movie maker ( or these other apps I've tried)

    > Too bad. You have to. Physics are physics.

    PS you are changing your requirements on the fly. You do not really expect
    the editing engine to adapt to every single freakin' movie and picture
    source out there, maintaining audio visual variable components?

    By the way, there are products that do this. They have hardware assisted
    converters, such as the Canopus or Avid line. Be prepared for $$.
    Telstar, Oct 7, 2008
  4. - Bobb -

    Telstar Guest

    Then again, I may not understand what you are saying. The ULEAD product for
    example excepts multiple audio video still formats on the timeline and
    attempts to play them. It is only at the final stage that all are recoded.
    Telstar, Oct 7, 2008