Re: downloading zip files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Guest, May 31, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi All,

    Thanks for helping me. actually before I installed Spybot and
    SpywareBlaster I had changed some of the settings of
    my Zonealarm firewall. I recalled it and set them to their
    defaults and my problem was solved. In reality my settings
    of Zonealarm were causing those error messages.
    I now have installed both Spybot and SpywareBlaster and
    I am able to download zip,rar or any attachment files now.

    I appreciate all your help towards me.

    Thank you Linda,Mike and Tim and sorry for the annoyance
    any of you might have felt.

    Thanks

    I still suggest that you UNinstall BOTH programs. Reinstall them one at a
    time. Once you install one, try to download a zip file. If you can,
    install the next one. If you can't download, then you know the problem
    probably lies with that program. There is either a default unchangable
    setting, in which case you can do nothing about it but live with it or
    remove the program, or there is a setting that you can change, and you need
    to find out how it's changed. Move onto the second program if all goes well
    with the first.

    I personally haven't had a problem like that, and I use SpyBot and
    SpyKiller. I doubt it's in the application itself, but since you think
    you've done everything else, rule them out by following what I told you (in
    the first post).

    Linda

    I resetted all the zones to default level and Resetted Web Settings and
    Resetted to defaults in the Advanced Tab but that
    did not solve my problem. Also when I try to
    do a "Save target as" I get "Internet Explorer cannot download the
    file. The requested site is unavailable or cannot be found."

    Thanks

    Okay - I cleaned up some of the rambling and extra spaces and repeated stuff
    above and below this...so let's start from here. I think it's a security
    issue in Internet Explorer. In IE, click on Tools, Internet Options,
    Security tab, then one at a time click on the "zones" - Internet, then click
    "Default Level", then "Local Intranet", "Default Level", etc., all four
    zones. On the Programs tab, click "Reset Web Settings", and on the advanced
    tab click on "Reset Defaults". Unless of course you have some reason to have
    customized any of the settings on these pages. That should reset IE to
    "fresh out of the box" settings, and may clear up your problem.

    The second thing I think you could try, is to "right-click" on the link for
    the file you want to download, then select "Save Target As" from the pop-up
    menu.

    > I dont mean to annoy anybody but the thing is whatever I have been

    suggested did not work.
    > It was suggested:
    > "That is not a problem with SpyBot S&D or SpywareBlaster.
    > Open Windows Explorer and go to Tools / Folder Options /
    > File types. Double click on .zip file type and make sure
    > that 'Confirm open after download' is checked.
    >
    > If this doesn't help, please explain fully what happens when
    > your try to download .zip files, with any error messages.
    > And give some details of your operating system."
    >
    > I replied :
    > "That option is checked in the .zip file types.
    > Before installing Spybot and SpywareBlaster I was able to
    > download any,zip,rar or any office document on
    > clicking and had the option of saving it or downloading to disk.
    > I am having Win XP home edition and IE 6.0.
    > After I installed Spybot and SpywareBlasater I cannot do so.
    > When I click on a zip,rar or any word file in the browser I get
    > the following message:
    > 'You are not authorized to view this page
    > You might not have permission to view this directory or
    > page using the credentials you supplied.
    > HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
    > Internet Explorer '"

    I dont mean to annoy anybody but the thing is whatever I have been suggested did not work.

    I was suggested

    "
    That option is checked in the .zip file types.
    Before installing Spybot and SpywareBlaster I was able to
    download any,zip,rar or any office document on
    clicking and had the option of saving it or downloading to disk.
    I am having Win XP home edition and IE 6.0.

    After I installed Spybot and SpywareBlasater I cannot do so.

    When I click on a zip,rar or any word file in the browser I get
    the following message

    "You are not authorized to view this page
    You might not have permission to view this directory or
    page using the credentials you supplied.

    HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
    Internet Explorer "

    Even though there are no permission problems. This happens with any webpage
    which has a zip or attachment file.

    When I try to right click and do save as target I get
    the following message

    "Internet Explorer cannot download the file. The requested site
    is unavailable or cannot be found.""

    Also I was suggested to remove one and see if that works else
    remove both Spybot and SpywareBlaster.

    I tried uninstalling Spybot but that did not help me. Also I
    uninstalled SpywareBlaster but even that did not help me?

    Even now I cannot download anything now?

    In Google(and also in this newsgroup "need help" message") I posted after I tried
    the suggestions and I couldnot get a solution.

    I asked what should I do now after uninstalling both.

    I am sorry if you are annoyed by my question.

    Thanks

    Will you please stop asking the same damn question
    over and over. Read the answers you've already been
    given.

    On 30 May 2004 15:38:26 -0700, in
    <>
    MINAL scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    **********End Of Post*************

    **********End Of Post*************
    Guest, May 31, 2004

  2. Guest

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Thanks for helping me. actually before I installed Spybot and
    > SpywareBlaster I had changed some of the settings of
    > my Zonealarm firewall. I recalled it and set them to their
    > defaults and my problem was solved. In reality my settings
    > of Zonealarm were causing those error messages.
    > I now have installed both Spybot and SpywareBlaster and
    > I am able to download zip,rar or any attachment files now.
    >
    > I appreciate all your help towards me.
    >
    > Thank you Linda,Mike and Tim and sorry for the annoyance
    > any of you might have felt.
    >
    > Thanks

    No problem.
    Toolman Tim, May 31, 2004