Re: downloading zip files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Guest, May 31, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    > I dont mean to annoy anybody but the thing is whatever I have been
    suggested did not work.
    > It was suggested:
    > "That is not a problem with SpyBot S&D or SpywareBlaster.
    > Open Windows Explorer and go to Tools / Folder Options /
    > File types. Double click on .zip file type and make sure
    > that 'Confirm open after download' is checked.
    >
    > If this doesn't help, please explain fully what happens when
    > your try to download .zip files, with any error messages.
    > And give some details of your operating system."
    >
    > I replied :
    > "That option is checked in the .zip file types.
    > Before installing Spybot and SpywareBlaster I was able to
    > download any,zip,rar or any office document on
    > clicking and had the option of saving it or downloading to disk.
    > I am having Win XP home edition and IE 6.0.
    > After I installed Spybot and SpywareBlasater I cannot do so.
    > When I click on a zip,rar or any word file in the browser I get
    > the following message:
    > 'You are not authorized to view this page
    > You might not have permission to view this directory or
    > page using the credentials you supplied.
    > HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
    > Internet Explorer '"

    Okay - I cleaned up some of the rambling and extra spaces and repeated stuff
    above and below this...so let's start from here. I think it's a security
    issue in Internet Explorer. In IE, click on Tools, Internet Options,
    Security tab, then one at a time click on the "zones" - Internet, then click
    "Default Level", then "Local Intranet", "Default Level", etc., all four
    zones. On the Programs tab, click "Reset Web Settings", and on the advanced
    tab click on "Reset Defaults". Unless of course you have some reason to have
    customized any of the settings on these pages. That should reset IE to
    "fresh out of the box" settings, and may clear up your problem.

    The second thing I think you could try, is to "right-click" on the link for
    the file you want to download, then select "Save Target As" from the pop-up
    menu.

    I resetted all the zones to default level and Resetted Web Settings and Resetted to
    defaults in the Advanced Tab but that
    did not solve my problem. Also when I try to
    do a "Save target as" I get "Internet Explorer cannot download the
    file. The requested site is unavailable or cannot be found."

    Thanks
    Guest, May 31, 2004

  2. I still suggest that you UNinstall BOTH programs. Reinstall them one at a
    time. Once you install one, try to download a zip file. If you can,
    install the next one. If you can't download, then you know the problem
    probably lies with that program. There is either a default unchangable
    setting, in which case you can do nothing about it but live with it or
    remove the program, or there is a setting that you can change, and you need
    to find out how it's changed. Move onto the second program if all goes well
    with the first.

    I personally haven't had a problem like that, and I use SpyBot and
    SpyKiller. I doubt it's in the application itself, but since you think
    you've done everything else, rule them out by following what I told you (in
    the first post).

    Linda

    NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz, May 31, 2004