Re: download speed variation on IHUG

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Squiggle, Dec 14, 2008.

  1. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Reg wrote:
    > Can someone please explain to me what is going on here?
    >
    > After I have had my broadband connection open for a number of hours if
    > I do a speed test I get a result like this
    >
    > Download Speed: 54 kbps (6.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    > Upload Speed: 132 kbps (16.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >

    > If I switch off the ADSL router and swithc it back on again things
    > return to normal (for me out here in the sticks) with speeds like this
    >
    > Download Speed: 1313 kbps (164.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    > Upload Speed: 134 kbps (16.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >
    > I am with IHUG(now Vodaphone).
    > How come my upload speed can be more than my download speed.
    > Are they throttling back my connection?

    What ADSL modem/router are you using? and what firmware?

    It might have a problem with a memory leak or not expiring entires in
    the NAT table.
    Also it could be slowly negotiating the connection speed down every time
    it gets a period of noise on the line and failing to ramp it back up
    when the noise has ceased.

    If you check the connection speed (line speed) reported by the
    router/modem before you reboot is it a lot lower than when it first
    connects?

    Squiggle, Dec 14, 2008

  2. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Reg wrote:
    > Thanks for your suggestions squiggle

    >> What ADSL modem/router are you using? and what firmware?
    >>

    > The router has the brand Web Excel
    >
    > When I go to http://10.0.0.2/ I see a page with a Conexant logo
    >
    > and
    > Firmware Version: ETHADSL_USB_080902_REL9K
    > Customer Software Version: 080902_REL9K

    Heh, I know it well, I have one of these in a drawer somewhere.
    Thats a fairly old firmware for it.
    Newer firmware is available at the site below. I upgraded Mine to the
    JMK firmware, but any of those would be better than what you are
    currently running.
    http://www.llanelly.com/pt3812/index.html

    Be warned, if the firmware update goes wrong you have to open the modem
    and short out a jumper to reflash it via the USB port. If you're not the
    technically minded sort you might be better off finding a local geek to
    do this for you.
    Also, it would pay to do printouts of all the settings in the modem
    before you upgrade the firmware, the ones you absolutely must have
    correct to connect are
    VPI=0
    VCI= 100
    Encapsulation = PPPoA VC Mux
    username= ???
    password= ???

    >> It might have a problem with a memory leak or not expiring entires in
    >> the NAT table.

    > Sorry I do not know what a NAT table is

    Just a chunk of entries in the router memory that it uses to keep track
    of which connection inside maps to which connection on the outside.

    >> Also it could be slowly negotiating the connection speed down every time
    >> it gets a period of noise on the line and failing to ramp it back up
    >> when the noise has ceased.

    > That sounds possible - ther is a lot of noise on my line at times.
    >
    >> If you check the connection speed (line speed) reported by the
    >> router/modem before you reboot is it a lot lower than when it first
    >> connects?

    > Where would I check this?

    It'll be one of the pages on the router, look for something that says
    something like adsl status page. try http://10.0.0.2/doc/adsl.htm (look
    for a line that says Data Rate). However I have a feeling that modem
    doesn't update the line speed as it goes, it only reports the initial
    connection speed. I might be wrong about that however.

    Squiggle, Dec 14, 2008

  3. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Reg wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:48:35 +1300, Squiggle <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Reg wrote:

    >>> Firmware Version: ETHADSL_USB_080902_REL9K
    >>> Customer Software Version: 080902_REL9K

    >> Heh, I know it well, I have one of these in a drawer somewhere.
    >> Thats a fairly old firmware for it.
    >> Newer firmware is available at the site below. I upgraded Mine to the
    >> JMK firmware, but any of those would be better than what you are
    >> currently running.
    >> http://www.llanelly.com/pt3812/index.html

    > Thanks for all this Squiggle - it is a great help
    >
    > OK I have burned the CD for Conexant v4.1.0.21F
    >

    >> Be warned, if the firmware update goes wrong you have to open the modem
    >> and short out a jumper to reflash it via the USB port. If you're not the
    >> technically minded sort you might be better off finding a local geek to
    >> do this for you.

    > How do I go about updating the firmware without opening the router?

    Its been years since I did mine, but there is some method of doing it
    from the router menu. I think it involves setting up a tftp server on
    your computer, then telling the modem to download and flash the firmware
    from there. I believe I bricked mine when I tried that, so ended up
    doing the usb and jumper method. The exact procedure is in the user
    manual for the router. If you don't have it drop me a line and I can
    email it to you.

    > I have had the top off the router and located JP1
    > I have a jumper and my wristband is at hand, ready for action ( see -
    > I am a closet geek:)
    > If necessary I do have the following instructions for the upgrade of
    > an eTec PT-3812 router
    > 1. Switch off the router
    > 2. Remove the two screws from each side of the router
    > 3. Slide the top part of the casing from front to back
    > 4. Place the jumper onto JP1 (this is near the middle left of the
    > circuit board)
    > 5. Connect the USB cable from the router to the PC and remember
    > to unplug all other USB devices from the PC. e.g. USB printer
    > 6. Plug the power lead into the router
    > 7. Switch on the router
    > 8. Place the Repair CD into the bootable drive and switch on your
    > PC
    > 9. Press "F8" before the operating system loads *
    > 10. From the list select 'CD' as the boot device *
    > 11. When the main menu appears, select "Flash"
    > 12. When you are prompted for the "MAC Address" just hit enter
    > twice
    > 13. Wait for the flashing to finish
    > 14. Power off the router
    > 15. Remove the jumper from JP1
    > 16. Power on the router
    > 17. Wait for the Ready and ADSL lights to start flashing (this can
    > take up to 3 minutes) **
    >
    > Is this what I do ?

    Yeah, that is how I ended up doing mine. I also remember having to do
    something about changing the MAC address to match the JMK firmware. You
    may or may not have that problem with the Etec firmware. If the etec
    firmware is the conexant firmware without any changes I would not expect
    any problems.

    >> Also, it would pay to do printouts of all the settings in the modem
    >> before you upgrade the firmware, the ones you absolutely must have
    >> correct to connect are
    >> VPI=0
    >> VCI= 100
    >> Encapsulation = PPPoA VC Mux
    >> username= ???
    >> password= ???
    >>

    > Done all this now

    >>> Where would I check this?

    >> It'll be one of the pages on the router, look for something that says
    >> something like adsl status page. try http://10.0.0.2/doc/adsl.htm (look
    >> for a line that says Data Rate). However I have a feeling that modem
    >> doesn't update the line speed as it goes, it only reports the initial
    >> connection speed. I might be wrong about that however.

    > Located this too - thanks

    Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you.

    Squiggle, Dec 15, 2008
  4. Squiggle

    J Brockley Guest

    "Reg" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:55:23 +1300, Reg <> wrote:
    >

    >>On another tack I have just run a speed test on www.nzdsl.co.nz and
    >>got a download speed of 892 kbps.
    >>When I run the test on www.telecom.co.nz/speedtest it tells me my line
    >>speed is approximately 106583.7 Kbps

    > Original test was in Chrome.
    > Just run it on Opera and got 800 kbps.

    I had a similar issue where after a few days speed would decline to sub 100k
    and reboot would sometimes fix it. Going from DLink to Linksys modem helped,
    improving my max speed from ~1 to 2 mbps. I still get speed drop off from 2
    mbps but at least it stays on the right side of 1 mbps.

    J Brockley, Dec 15, 2008
  5. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Reg wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:53:45 +1300, Squiggle <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you.

    > Well I am still online - possibly because my usb connection to the
    > router failed for some reason when I ran upgrade program.

    What was the error message? Try googling that and see what comes up.

    > I had disconnected the phone line and the ethernet connections from
    > the router. Should I have left then in?

    Nope, i'd tend to remove anything that could cause processor interrupts
    during a re-flash.
    A bit of googling found that the conexant flash program doesn't play
    nicely with some chipsets, the Nforce ones in particular.
    Apparently it needs to be the USB ports on your motherboard, not any
    add-on cards, and it must be a direct connection, not via any hubs etc.
    I was lucky I guess, my chipset was compatible and it just worked for me.

    http://www.routertech.org/pages.php?page=19 is a good page to have a
    look at, they have lots of info on the different firmware available for
    those modems.

    > On another tack I have just run a speed test on www.nzdsl.co.nz and
    > got a download speed of 892 kbps.
    > When I run the test on www.telecom.co.nz/speedtest it tells me my line
    > speed is approximately 106583.7 Kbps

    Heh, that would be nice to have. Impossible on ADSL1, but nice. :)

    Squiggle, Dec 15, 2008
  6. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    J Brockley wrote:
    > "Reg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:55:23 +1300, Reg <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> On another tack I have just run a speed test on www.nzdsl.co.nz and
    >>> got a download speed of 892 kbps.
    >>> When I run the test on www.telecom.co.nz/speedtest it tells me my line
    >>> speed is approximately 106583.7 Kbps

    >> Original test was in Chrome.
    >> Just run it on Opera and got 800 kbps.

    > I had a similar issue where after a few days speed would decline to sub
    > 100k and reboot would sometimes fix it. Going from DLink to Linksys
    > modem helped, improving my max speed from ~1 to 2 mbps. I still get
    > speed drop off from 2 mbps but at least it stays on the right side of 1
    > mbps.

    If it was a dlink supplied by xtra i would try reflashing with the
    non-bastardised firmware that retail customers get. Like many things
    telecom touch the firmware in the dlinks supplied by them is shite.

    Squiggle, Dec 15, 2008