Re: Download software question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Matti Vuori, Jul 12, 2003.

  1. Matti Vuori

    Matti Vuori Guest

    cal (PAtina4175) wrote in
    news::
    > I already have a Toshiba digital camera and have the download software
    > installed on my computer. I am thinking of buying a more
    > point-and-shoot style digital for everyday use and I'm wondering if I
    > install the different software from a different brand of camera if
    > there will be any problem with the downloading of pictures to my
    > computer.

    There's no reason to expect any problems. Note also that many modern
    digicams can be attached to an USB port in your computer where they show up
    as a "hard drive", meaning that you don't need any donload software.

    --
    Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

    Matti Vuori, Jul 12, 2003

  2. Matti Vuori

    Paul Worden Guest

    The USB connection is a very easy way to go and most cameras have it. I'd
    make it a requirement, because it's so easy. Particularly with Windows XP.

    When I plug my camera in, the contents of the card are displayed on the
    monitor without any intervention on my part. Then I just Copy (or Move) them
    to whatever folder I decide. I can even preview them before moving them. I
    don't need any installed software.

    I love USB. Stay away from proprietary 'cradle' type connections unless
    they're USB.
    --
    Paul Worden
    remove NOSPAM from email address to reply

    Paul Worden, Jul 13, 2003

  3. Matti Vuori

    PAtina4175 Guest

    Thank you for your help! You gave me the answers I was hoping for. :) Though
    now I am wondering why they come with software when you plug in the USB to
    download the pics anyway. I just figured that the software was part of the d/l
    process.

    Tina

    PAtina4175, Jul 13, 2003
  4. Matti Vuori

    CSM1 Guest

    "PAtina4175" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you for your help! You gave me the answers I was hoping for. :)

    Though
    > now I am wondering why they come with software when you plug in the USB to
    > download the pics anyway. I just figured that the software was part of

    the d/l
    > process.
    >
    > Tina

    The Software is probably for Windows 98 because Win 98 is not as good with
    USB.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Jul 13, 2003
  5. Matti Vuori

    DaveJ Guest

    "CSM1" <> wrote in message
    > "PAtina4175" <> wrote in message
    > > Thank you for your help! You gave me the answers I was hoping for. :)

    > Though
    > > now I am wondering why they come with software when you plug in the USB

    > > download the pics anyway. I just figured that the software was part of

    > the d/l
    > > process.
    > >
    > > Tina

    > The Software is probably for Windows 98 because Win 98 is not as good with
    > USB.
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --

    That's my experience - most USB stuff works ok with Win2k and up without
    drivers. Have only had problems with one card reader (Jenoptik) on 98
    though, most kit/drivers seem to co-exist quite happily.

    regards,
    DaveJ.

    DaveJ, Jul 13, 2003