Discussion in 'Firefox' started by jones, Jul 23, 2008.

  1. jones

    jones Guest

    That's what I would like to do too.

    Do you just download FF2 over FF3, or do you have to take off FF3 first?

    Thanks
    Katherine

    jones, Jul 23, 2008

  2. jones

    Rom Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:46:50 +1000, jones wrote:

    > That's what I would like to do too.
    >
    > Do you just download FF2 over FF3, or do you have to take off FF3 first?

    Download from <http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html>
    and save to disk if you don't already have a copy of the latest Fx2.

    By reverting to Fx2 you may lose some saved data since using Fx3
    because of the different file formats, but bookmarks can be exported
    from Bookmarks > Organise Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Export HTML,
    saving to, say, the Desktop. Close Fx, then copy the bookmarks.html to
    the profile <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles> overwriting
    any existing (old) Fx2 bookmarks.html file.
    <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profile+folder+contents#Bookmarks>.

    Uninstall Fx3 and keep the profile during the Fx3 uninstall process,
    then install Fx2.

    I'd also suggest cleaning up the profile of Fx3 files, as if at some
    time in the future you'll be upgrading to Fx3 again the upgrade
    process may not convert Fx2 data because of existing Fx3 files.
    Delete the Fx3 *.json files from the bookmarkbackups folder.
    Most of, but not all, the *sqlite files from the xxxxxxxx.default
    folder can be deleted. Fx2 and Fx3 folder and file info:
    <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profile+folder+contents>

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jul 23, 2008

  3. jones

    jones Guest

    Thank you Rom, for your detailed instructions. Much appreciated.
    Katherine

    jones, Jul 24, 2008