Re: Doug's DVD List

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Doug MacLean, Apr 10, 2007.

  1. Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean Guest

    "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:<>...

    > On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 01:04:16 -0400, "Doug MacLean"

    > <> Gave us:

    > >"MassiveProng" <> wrote

    > >in

    > >message news:...

    > >> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:18:36 -0700, MassiveProng

    > >> <> Gave us:

    > >> Hey doug, I noticed that you include disc type, ie HD or BluTurd in

    > >> the title in parenthesis.

    > >> Why not add a column for media type?

    > >> What happened to your logic, man!?

    > >The logic is there. Look in the column 'Verisions' and it lists if

    > >the DVD

    > >is UMD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray etc. The format is also listed in the title to be

    > >consistent with how the disc is named by the studio.

    > >Also, the main file always has the updates. If you download the main

    > >you are

    > >up to date.

    > >Doug MacLean

    > >http://www.hometheaterinfo.com

    > Also, on the spreadsheet, you could also "FREEZE" the top line, if

    > you know how to do that, so it doesn't scroll with the data, and a "Do

    > I Own It" column could be added so we can use the list as a database.

    > Also, having the form factor column would facilitate sorting of the

    > list for users, as opposed to your keeping it in the title column

    > which does not support that form of sort at all.

    > It wouldn't take much work to make the list far more useful.

    > Great list, but it appears, a lazy attitude.

    > I suppose ideally a separate list for LD, DVD, HD DVD, and BR would

    > be the correct way to do it.

    > Oh and hey! That would also negate your non-existent copyright or

    > any claim thereto!

    > Compiling a list of publicly available data makes the list a PD

    > item, regardless of your declared "rights". Let alone the fact that

    > you would have a really hard time taking to task anyone that made such

    > a list available in another form, or even a direct copy, for that

    > matter.

    > Why even bother declaring it, since it wouldn't even hold up under

    > even the most conservative scruti

    Unfortunately, freezing the field names is not possible in SQL. I use SQL to
    create the various formats provided and it just sends out a plain XLS file.
    It also has the potential to interfer with import into some databases. A 'Do
    I Own' field is not really part of the schema of the data base since it does
    not relate to the actual data but a downstream client use. Since the data
    base is now too large for a single spreadsheet most people pull it into
    Access or some other data base program. I know form talking to some of them
    that they have a field for personal ownership on their end and import and
    merge the data into that table. Another way to handle it would be to use the
    unique identifier and use that to link a table of your personal collection
    with the data base. Just create a table with the Unique ID in it and only
    place entries in the table if you own it. I use something like this to track
    my own collection.

    Since we do not have access for a comprehensive list of LD we don't include
    them. Maintaining separate lists of all the new format variations would be
    very time intensive so we just include them as variation of DVDs. If you are
    using Excel you can turn on auto-filter and use the custom filter to isolate
    a give format. For example to find all HD-DVD just set versions to 'contains
    HD-DVD'. We are planning to include a format flag but that would change the
    schema and we do have some licensed clients that pull our files and we have
    to coordinate any change with them. It also will required some code changes
    in the procedures that process and export the tables. It's not difficult it
    just takes time to write and test and Michael and I both have real jobs that
    pay the bills that does cut into our development time for this. ;->

    As for the copyright it is not the data but the format and backend code that
    is covered. Sure anyone can get this data by culling through a bunch of
    sites but having it in the format provided is subject to copywrite. In this
    case it is the "form of material expression" that is subject to copywrite
    not the actual data. We have numerous vetting routines that have detected a
    lot of errors in the published particulars of some titles. Since we only ask
    for payment if another site is using the data base for profit there is
    really no problem. We have had a few times where sites were using out list
    for profit without even an acknowledgment and in each case the ISP of the
    site supported our request for the small payment and a link. A lot of hard
    work goes into this list and all we ask is a very minimal fee and a link
    back. Since this is not really a topic within the scope of this forum I
    would be glad to discuss this at any length you want. Just write me with a
    valid email address and we can go over any aspect of this you want.

    In any case thank you for your suggestions we will try to get the format
    field included as soon as possible.

    Doug MacLean

    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com

    Doug MacLean, Apr 10, 2007

  2. Doug MacLean

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 02:05:28 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    <> Gave us:

> [...]

    >not the actual data. We have numerous vetting routines that have detected a
    >lot of errors in the published particulars of some titles. Since we only ask
    >for payment if another site is using the data base for profit there is
    >really no problem. We have had a few times where sites were using out list
    >for profit without even an acknowledgment and in each case the ISP of the
    >site supported our request for the small payment and a link. A lot of hard
    >work goes into this list and all we ask is a very minimal fee and a link
    >back. Since this is not really a topic within the scope of this forum I
    >would be glad to discuss this at any length you want. Just write me with a
    >valid email address and we can go over any aspect of this you want.
    >
    >In any case thank you for your suggestions we will try to get the format

    Thank you for the very informative, intelligent response.

    Setting up a database would be a a pain in the ass for me, time wise,
    but would seem to be better than going through the entire list with
    search tools. Let the database do it!

    Good call. I am sure there are some out there already set up too.

    Perhaps I can find out, and you could add links to them in your page
    that allow a person to grab both your list, and the DB app that allows
    a more featured utilization thereof.

    Again, thanks for the full featured response.

    MassiveProng, Apr 10, 2007

  3. Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean Guest

    "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...
> [...]

    >>would be glad to discuss this at any length you want. Just write me with a
    >>valid email address and we can go over any aspect of this you want.
    >>
    >>In any case thank you for your suggestions we will try to get the format
    >>field included as soon as possible.
    >>
    >>Doug MacLean

    > Thank you for the very informative, intelligent response.
    >
    > Setting up a database would be a a pain in the ass for me, time wise,
    > but would seem to be better than going through the entire list with
    > search tools. Let the database do it!
    >
    > Good call. I am sure there are some out there already set up too.
    >
    > Perhaps I can find out, and you could add links to them in your page
    > that allow a person to grab both your list, and the DB app that allows
    > a more featured utilization thereof.
    >
    > Again, thanks for the full featured response.

    Always glad to help out in any way I can. If you need any assistance in
    setting things up on your side please just give a shout and I'll do what
    you can.

    Also, thank you for your understanding. Michael and I don't do this for
    money just out of our enjoyment of DVDs and data bases. Odd combinations
    considering I manage data bases in my real job. Any change takes time to
    push through 108,000 records. It took almost a year to populate the UPC/EAN
    field since our data entry is mostly manual due to how the studios provide
    the data. Let me know and I'll gladly show you how I use a look up table to
    link the DVD data base with my own collection.

    Doug MacLean
    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com

    Doug MacLean, Apr 10, 2007
  4. Doug MacLean

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:07:04 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    <> Gave us:

    >Always glad to help out in any way I can. If you need any assistance in
    >setting things up on your side please just give a shout and I'll do what
    >you can.

    Do you happen to have an Access front end or template for one that
    you could also post on your site? (or did I just not look hard
    enough?) :-]

    MassiveProng, Apr 11, 2007
  5. Doug MacLean

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:07:04 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    <> Gave us:

    >It took almost a year to populate the UPC/EAN
    >field since our data entry is mostly manual due to how the studios provide
    >the data. Let me know and I'll gladly show you how I use a look up table to
    >link the DVD data base with my own collection.

    I used to do DB devel. AND single entry on large tables!

    I can actually stand over a data entry "ho's" (Imus sucks) shoulder,
    and type pretty good with either single free hand (guess where the
    other hand was)... Heheheh just kidding...

    MassiveProng, Apr 11, 2007
  6. Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean Guest

    "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:07:04 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    > <> Gave us:
    >
    >>Always glad to help out in any way I can. If you need any assistance in
    >>setting things up on your side please just give a shout and I'll do what
    >>you can.

    > Do you happen to have an Access front end or template for one that
    > you could also post on your site? (or did I just not look hard
    > enough?) :-]

    I do have the schema listed online if that would help. It lists the
    particualrs of the main and new/change tables

    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/schema.htm

    Let me know if this helps.

    Doug MacLean
    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/

    Doug MacLean, Apr 11, 2007
  7. Doug MacLean

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 01:46:35 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    <> Gave us:

    >"MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:07:04 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    >> <> Gave us:
    >>
    >>>Always glad to help out in any way I can. If you need any assistance in
    >>>setting things up on your side please just give a shout and I'll do what
    >>>you can.

    >> Do you happen to have an Access front end or template for one that
    >> you could also post on your site? (or did I just not look hard
    >> enough?) :-]

    > I do have the schema listed online if that would help. It lists the
    >particualrs of the main and new/change tables
    >
    >http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/schema.htm
    >
    >Let me know if this helps.
    >
    >Doug MacLean
    >http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/

    Thanks. I'll be sticking with the excel sheet and access, since MS
    allows use thereof.

    I was hoping for something like "Movie Library" from cd software
    solutions, but I won't be paying that turkey $40 for it!

    He allows front cover images and whatnot, and it is supposedly an
    access based database.

    Heh! Maybe I should take your baseline schema and write one, and
    give you the template for it to critique and put on your site if
    worthy... :-]

    MassiveProng, Apr 11, 2007
  8. Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean Guest

    "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 01:46:35 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    > <> Gave us:
    >
    >>"MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    >>message news:...
    >>> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:07:04 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    >>> <> Gave us:

    >>> Do you happen to have an Access front end or template for one that
    >>> you could also post on your site? (or did I just not look hard
    >>> enough?) :-]

    >> I do have the schema listed online if that would help. It lists the
    >>particualrs of the main and new/change tables
    >>
    >>http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/schema.htm
    >>
    >>Let me know if this helps.
    >>
    >>Doug MacLean
    >>http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/
    >>

    > Thanks. I'll be sticking with the excel sheet and access, since MS
    > allows use thereof.
    >
    > I was hoping for something like "Movie Library" from cd software
    > solutions, but I won't be paying that turkey $40 for it!
    >
    > He allows front cover images and whatnot, and it is supposedly an
    > access based database.
    >
    > Heh! Maybe I should take your baseline schema and write one, and
    > give you the template for it to critique and put on your site if
    > worthy... :-]

    Sure, I'm game.

    Doug MacLean
    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/

    Doug MacLean, Apr 13, 2007
  9. On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:26:46 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    <> wrote:

    >"MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 01:46:35 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    >> <> Gave us:
    >>
    >>>"MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    >>>message news:...

    >>> I do have the schema listed online if that would help. It lists the
    >>>particualrs of the main and new/change tables
    >>>
    >>>http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/schema.htm
    >>>
    >>>Let me know if this helps.
    >>>
    >>>Doug MacLean
    >>>http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/
    >>>

    >> Thanks. I'll be sticking with the excel sheet and access, since MS
    >> allows use thereof.
    >>
    >> I was hoping for something like "Movie Library" from cd software
    >> solutions, but I won't be paying that turkey $40 for it!
    >>
    >> He allows front cover images and whatnot, and it is supposedly an
    >> access based database.
    >>
    >> Heh! Maybe I should take your baseline schema and write one, and
    >> give you the template for it to critique and put on your site if
    >> worthy... :-]

    >Sure, I'm game.
    >
    >Doug MacLean
    >http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/

    Doug,

    I found a way to get your entire database in one reference, without
    having to split it up into two sheets.

    Problem is, the only way I could get it to you is to post it in a binary
    group like alt.binaries.misc, which is a public posting.

    It is 31MB instead of your 28MB.

    The key thing now though is that the first sheet is a lookup table
    where one ID is put in, and all the data auto-fills.

    I could not get this to work in Access, but I am not a big Access guy,
    or it would likely be easy.

    I also want to add a field where an image of the disc auto-fills in an
    area set aside for that purpose. I left such an area, but as yet am
    unable to get the auto-fill feature to point to an image file.

    Let me know if it is OK to post it, and I will arrange a date to do so
    where you will be ready to download it from the Usenet group I put it
    into. Otherwise, I can post a screen shot of the auto-fill page, and
    maybe entice you a bit. :-]

    The Great Attractor, May 20, 2007
  10. On Sun, 20 May 2007 02:07:01 -0700, The Great Attractor

    Screenshot posted to alt.binaries.misc

    as "DVD Database Screenshot for Doug"

    The Great Attractor, May 20, 2007
  11. The Great Attractor
    <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:26:46 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    >>message news:...
    >>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 01:46:35 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    >>> <> Gave us:

    >>> Thanks. I'll be sticking with the excel sheet and access, since MS
    >>> allows use thereof.
    >>>
    >>> I was hoping for something like "Movie Library" from cd software
    >>> solutions, but I won't be paying that turkey $40 for it!
    >>>
    >>> He allows front cover images and whatnot, and it is supposedly an
    >>> access based database.
    >>>
    >>> Heh! Maybe I should take your baseline schema and write one, and
    >>> give you the template for it to critique and put on your site if
    >>> worthy... :-]

    >>Sure, I'm game.
    >>
    >>Doug MacLean
    >>http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/
    >>

    > Doug,
    >
    > I found a way to get your entire database in one reference, without
    > having to split it up into two sheets.
    >
    > Problem is, the only way I could get it to you is to post it in a
    > binary
    > group like alt.binaries.misc, which is a public posting.
    >
    > It is 31MB instead of your 28MB.
    >
    > The key thing now though is that the first sheet is a lookup table
    > where one ID is put in, and all the data auto-fills.
    >
    > I could not get this to work in Access, but I am not a big Access
    > guy,
    > or it would likely be easy.
    >
    > I also want to add a field where an image of the disc auto-fills in
    > an
    > area set aside for that purpose. I left such an area, but as yet am
    > unable to get the auto-fill feature to point to an image file.
    >
    > Let me know if it is OK to post it, and I will arrange a date to do
    > so
    > where you will be ready to download it from the Usenet group I put it
    > into. Otherwise, I can post a screen shot of the auto-fill page, and
    > maybe entice you a bit. :-]

    You want to *entice* Doug?

    < walks away >

    Lamey Teh cable Guy, May 20, 2007
  12. Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean Guest

    "The Great Attractor"
    <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:26:46 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    >>message news:...
    >>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 01:46:35 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    >>> <> Gave us:

    >>> Thanks. I'll be sticking with the excel sheet and access, since MS
    >>> allows use thereof.
    >>>
    >>> I was hoping for something like "Movie Library" from cd software
    >>> solutions, but I won't be paying that turkey $40 for it!
    >>>
    >>> He allows front cover images and whatnot, and it is supposedly an
    >>> access based database.
    >>>
    >>> Heh! Maybe I should take your baseline schema and write one, and
    >>> give you the template for it to critique and put on your site if
    >>> worthy... :-]

    >>Sure, I'm game.
    >>
    >>Doug MacLean
    >>http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/
    >>

    > Doug,
    >
    > I found a way to get your entire database in one reference, without
    > having to split it up into two sheets.
    >
    > Problem is, the only way I could get it to you is to post it in a binary
    > group like alt.binaries.misc, which is a public posting.
    >
    > It is 31MB instead of your 28MB.
    >
    > The key thing now though is that the first sheet is a lookup table
    > where one ID is put in, and all the data auto-fills.
    >
    > I could not get this to work in Access, but I am not a big Access guy,
    > or it would likely be easy.
    >
    > I also want to add a field where an image of the disc auto-fills in an
    > area set aside for that purpose. I left such an area, but as yet am
    > unable to get the auto-fill feature to point to an image file.
    >
    > Let me know if it is OK to post it, and I will arrange a date to do so
    > where you will be ready to download it from the Usenet group I put it
    > into. Otherwise, I can post a screen shot of the auto-fill page, and
    > maybe entice you a bit. :-]

    Let me take a look at it and we can talk about it off line. Can you email me
    the details?

    --
    Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean, May 22, 2007
  13. On Tue, 22 May 2007 00:56:54 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    <> wrote:

    >"The Great Attractor"
    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:26:46 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    >>>message news:...

    >>>Sure, I'm game.
    >>>
    >>>Doug MacLean
    >>>http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/
    >>>

    >> Doug,
    >>
    >> I found a way to get your entire database in one reference, without
    >> having to split it up into two sheets.
    >>
    >> Problem is, the only way I could get it to you is to post it in a binary
    >> group like alt.binaries.misc, which is a public posting.
    >>
    >> It is 31MB instead of your 28MB.
    >>
    >> The key thing now though is that the first sheet is a lookup table
    >> where one ID is put in, and all the data auto-fills.
    >>
    >> I could not get this to work in Access, but I am not a big Access guy,
    >> or it would likely be easy.
    >>
    >> I also want to add a field where an image of the disc auto-fills in an
    >> area set aside for that purpose. I left such an area, but as yet am
    >> unable to get the auto-fill feature to point to an image file.
    >>
    >> Let me know if it is OK to post it, and I will arrange a date to do so
    >> where you will be ready to download it from the Usenet group I put it
    >> into. Otherwise, I can post a screen shot of the auto-fill page, and
    >> maybe entice you a bit. :-]

    >Let me take a look at it and we can talk about it off line. Can you email me
    >the details?

    Well... I'd have to set up an email account for that specific purpose
    as I do not give out my email addy very often... at all.

    I also posted a second pic, as I have a VB macro enabled sheet that
    places a pic of the DVD cover on the master page.

    For your weekly updates, do you merely add them into the spreadsheet,
    and then sort the sheet on the titles field?

    The Great Attractor, May 22, 2007
  14. Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean Guest

    "The Great Attractor"
    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 May 2007 00:56:54 -0400, "Doug MacLean"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"The Great Attractor"
    >><> wrote in message

    >>> Doug,
    >>>
    >>> I found a way to get your entire database in one reference, without
    >>> having to split it up into two sheets.
    >>>
    >>> Problem is, the only way I could get it to you is to post it in a binary
    >>> group like alt.binaries.misc, which is a public posting.
    >>>
    >>> It is 31MB instead of your 28MB.
    >>>
    >>> The key thing now though is that the first sheet is a lookup table
    >>> where one ID is put in, and all the data auto-fills.
    >>>
    >>> I could not get this to work in Access, but I am not a big Access guy,
    >>> or it would likely be easy.
    >>>
    >>> I also want to add a field where an image of the disc auto-fills in an
    >>> area set aside for that purpose. I left such an area, but as yet am
    >>> unable to get the auto-fill feature to point to an image file.
    >>>
    >>> Let me know if it is OK to post it, and I will arrange a date to do so
    >>> where you will be ready to download it from the Usenet group I put it
    >>> into. Otherwise, I can post a screen shot of the auto-fill page, and
    >>> maybe entice you a bit. :-]

    >>Let me take a look at it and we can talk about it off line. Can you email
    >>me
    >>the details?

    > Well... I'd have to set up an email account for that specific purpose
    > as I do not give out my email addy very often... at all.
    >
    > I also posted a second pic, as I have a VB macro enabled sheet that
    > places a pic of the DVD cover on the master page.
    >

    > For your weekly updates, do you merely add them into the spreadsheet,
    > and then sort the sheet on the titles field?

    Updates are done at least once, often twice a day. This is all done in a SQL
    backend and exported into the spreadsheets so it is new with each update.

    --
    Doug MacLean
    Home Theater Info

    Doug MacLean, May 29, 2007