    http://www.google.com then type in "pipe dos" (without the quotes).

    Geezzz
    , Aug 11, 2005

  2. Guest

    I found it on the first page Google returned:

    http://www.uv.tietgen.dk/staff/mlha/PC/Soft/DOS/com/

    Pipe
    A data-channel ( | ) in RAM that takes output from a program and feeds
    the data as input to another program

    See the | That's the charter on your keyboard for pipe (shift +
    \)
    , Aug 11, 2005

  3. Tmack Guest

    Dude,

    He's obviously too lazy to research it on his own. He wants someone
    else to give him the answer so he doesn't have to spend the time
    "researching" the question.

    How hard can it be to type in "pipe dos" into Google? And how come
    my results pulled up the page I posted first. Did his query return
    something different? Probably not.

    It wouldn't be so bad except his question was very elementary and if
    he plans to get anywhere in this business, he better start to learn to
    be self sufficient.

    Posting questions about simple commands in a DOS script is ridicules
    for an A+ certification user group.

    I'm not trying to be a prick, but that's just silly.

    And why are you so worried about how I respond to someone else's
    post?

    You might not like my tone but I'm right.
    Tmack, Aug 11, 2005
  4. On 11 Aug 2005 10:19:12 -0700, wrote:

    >I found it on the first page Google returned:
    >
    >http://www.uv.tietgen.dk/staff/mlha/PC/Soft/DOS/com/
    >
    >Pipe
    >A data-channel ( | ) in RAM that takes output from a program and feeds
    >the data as input to another program
    >
    >See the | That's the charter on your keyboard for pipe (shift +
    >\)

    It doesn't show where it is on the keyboard, and on the keyboard it
    looks different also. | almost looks like l, lower case L, while the
    pipe symbol on the keyboard looks like --, turned 90 degrees and
    larger.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 11, 2005
  5. Tmack Guest

    My bad.

    I didn't realize that this is the
    alt.iDontKnowWhatTheKeysOnMyKeyboardDo user group.
    Tmack, Aug 11, 2005
  6. On 11 Aug 2005 12:54:02 -0700, "Tmack" <>
    wrote:

    >My bad.
    >
    >I didn't realize that this is the
    >alt.iDontKnowWhatTheKeysOnMyKeyboardDo user group.

    When is that symbol used by the average person, though? Most people
    who use a computer wouldn't even know what to call that, and many
    other symbols as well, even if they have an idea of some of the uses.
    Symbols such as ~, ^, *, \, <, and > would be rarely used, hence not
    very well known either. ASCII art and the DOS pipe command are
    presently the only uses I can think of for |.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 11, 2005
  7. On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:55:39 GMT, "smackedass"
    <> wrote:

    >> I'm not trying to be a prick, but that's just silly.
    >>
    >> And why are you so worried about how I respond to someone else's
    >> post?
    >>
    >> You might not like my tone but I'm right.

    >I don't give a rat's rear end about your tone. Or anyone else's. I pay
    >attention to content.
    >
    >I have posted several questions, most salient my 07/02/05 post in which I
    >asked about "environment variables". I did a little bit of research about
    >"environment variables", and didn't quite find the answer that I was looking
    >for. Yes, I did "google" it, yes, I did check my notes, yes, I did look at
    >my books. All that I got from this NG was one sarcastic reply. Not the
    >least bit offended, I resumed, then discontinued, my research, when I
    >realized that the goals of my undertaking were not worth my curiosity spent.
    >Hell, that's so old-school, who would care now, anyway!
    >
    >But, now, since YOU'RE asking, yes, I believe that the members of this
    >newsgroup MIGHT be a LITTLE bit more civil, when someone can't find an
    >answer to their question.
    >
    >Of course, there are people who don't attempt to try to figure things out on
    >their own, and all too often, trolls rear their useless heads, but there's
    >no point in not sharing information that might help someone else, either.
    >So, that's WHY I'm "so worried" about how [you] respond to someone else's
    >post. Point being, I'm NOT worried, just WISH you and your ilk would seek
    >higher ground.
    >
    >smackedass

    Hey...I don't recall your original post, but with "environment
    variables" as the string, with DOS as well, maybe there's something
    here for you...

    http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q="environment variables" dos&meta=

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 11, 2005
  8. On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:06:16 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
    <> wrote:

    >Hey...I don't recall your original post, but with "environment
    >variables" as the string, with DOS as well, maybe there's something
    >here for you...
    >
    >http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q="environment variables" dos&meta=
    >
    >Tom

    Try one of Peter Norton's early "DOS Guide" books as well...I cut my
    DOS teeth with an early edition, mid-80's, I'd say.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 11, 2005
  9. Pat Guest

    Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    > On 11 Aug 2005 12:54:02 -0700, "Tmack" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>My bad.
    >>
    >>I didn't realize that this is the
    >>alt.iDontKnowWhatTheKeysOnMyKeyboardDo user group.

    > When is that symbol used by the average person, though? Most people
    > who use a computer wouldn't even know what to call that, and many
    > other symbols as well, even if they have an idea of some of the uses.
    > Symbols such as ~, ^, *, \, <, and > would be rarely used, hence not
    > very well known either. ASCII art and the DOS pipe command are
    > presently the only uses I can think of for |.

    I've used it a lot in unix-based systems, especially when programming.
    It's also a good choice for a delimiter in text files, for the exact
    reason that you specified (not common). In a Windows environment,
    you're right...I can't think of many people who use it, especially the
    "average" user.
    Pat, Aug 11, 2005
  10. Tmack Guest

    And so we reach the root of the problem.

    This NG was not intended to be a technical support NG. Maybe that's
    why you didn't get any worthwhile responses from the users here
    regarding your previous post.

    Perhaps you, and pipe boy, should have posted to a more appropriate NG.

    No?
    Tmack, Aug 11, 2005
  11. Tmack Guest

    All right then young man,

    I'm willing to bet that almost every other guy in this NG has spent
    countless hours digging though technical manuals looking for that one
    little command to fix a problem or to optimize a program.

    For you to post such a rookie question is basically saying "I'm too
    lazy to make a concerted effort to dig into this. I'm just going to
    ask someone that knows".

    Spend a little time researching stuff. I'll pay off in the end. All
    of the information you sift through to get your answer will benefit you
    in the long run.

    There's a lot to learn, don't just depend on others to educate you.
    Do your best to find answers to questions on your own and then ask for
    help.

    When you get a job in IT the last thing the other guys in the shop want
    to deal with is a rookie asking basic questions. Everyone's too busy
    for that. Everyone has their own job responsibilities to tend to. They
    don't have time for questions like "what's pipe?".

    I'm being a prick about this but the lesson for you is that if you
    want to thrive, and not just survive, in this business you better get
    used to pulling your own weight and stop depending on others.

    Grasshopper, someday you'll thank me.
    Tmack, Aug 11, 2005
  12. Guest

    Although I do have the real bad habit of telling people to type "shift
    colen"

    Google for "pipe key"

    The pipe key <|>, also known as the bar key or vertical bar, is found
    above the backslash key <\>. It sees frequent use in C, C++, C# and
    other programming languages where it serves as the "OR" symbol. A
    single pipe indicates "bitwise OR," and two pipes together (||) signify
    "logical OR." For example:

    C = (A | B)

    means "apply bit operations to A and B and put the result in C." That
    is, if A is 0000 0110, and B is 1111 0000, then the result is:

    A 0000 0110
    B 1111 0000
    --------------
    C 1111 0110

    which is bit-level arithmetic. If you're not a programmer, don't worry
    about it. The use of double pipes, such as:

    if(A > 0 || B >0)

    is a logical statement that means, "If variable A is greater than 0, or
    variable B is greater than 0, then do something."

    In command-line environments such as DOS, the pipe symbol can add
    functionality to a DOS command. The way I most frequently use it is
    when doing a directory listing (DIR) on a large directory with hundreds
    of files. Say I type "DIR" at the command prompt like so:

    C:\Una\Lesbian Porn>DIR

    .. . . then the 22,000 files in that directory scroll past so fast I
    can't see their names. However, if I apply the pipe function at the
    command prompt like this:

    C:\Una\Lesbian Porn>DIR | more

    .. . . then the display will show me one screen of files at a time, with
    a "More" at the bottom. To display the next screen of files, I hit any
    key to continue, until all of the files in the directory have been
    listed (or I break, by pressing Ctrl-C). What's happening is that the
    pipe symbol causes the output of the DIR command to be "piped" to the
    "More" (paging) command. You get pretty much the same result by using
    the "/p" modifier, such as "DIR /p," to display directory information a
    page at a time.
    , Aug 12, 2005
  13. JohnO Guest

    > For you to post such a rookie question is basically saying "I'm too
    > lazy to make a concerted effort to dig into this. I'm just going to
    > ask someone that knows".

    You are assuming WAY too much when you jump to that conclusion.

    > When you get a job in IT the last thing the other guys in the shop want
    > to deal with is a rookie asking basic questions. Everyone's too busy
    > for that. Everyone has their own job responsibilities to tend to. They
    > don't have time for questions like "what's pipe?".

    Then they aren't team players, and groups of loners are much less productive
    than teams.

    > I'm being a prick about this
    > but the lesson for you is that if you
    > want to thrive, and not just survive, in this business you better get
    > used to pulling your own weight and stop depending on others.

    There are far more professional ways to make your point. If you're planning
    to be a tech support pro, you better get used to answering easy questions
    with more tact than you've shown here so far.

    -John O
    JohnO, Aug 12, 2005
  14. Tmack Guest

    Thumper,

    Asshole is one word.
    Tmack, Aug 12, 2005
  15. Tmack Guest

    Samckedass,

    You have an inferiority complex.

    And don't worry I'm doing this on your dime. I work for the
    Government.
    Tmack, Aug 12, 2005
  16. JohnO Guest

    JohnO, Aug 12, 2005
  17. Tmack Guest

    Finally, someone with a sense of humor !

    However, I do look like the guy in the last link.
    Tmack, Aug 12, 2005
  18. On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:17:11 -0400, Tarkus <> wrote:

    >To TMak,
    >Boy, I can't believe this. I'm 16 and went to computer camp and going
    >to a tech High School in the fall. All I did was ask a question and I
    >get crapped on. I was told Newsgroups like this would be helpful. I
    >hope none of my teachers tell me to "Google it" when I ask for help. I
    >hope you're not a teacher. And if you're a tech support person, I sure
    >don't want to be one like you. I welcome criticism, but not with that
    >"I'm god, I know it all, and own this newsgroup" attitude. I guess
    >I'll just unsubscribe from this group. Thanks to the ones who stuck up
    >for me.

    Donlt let a single detractor here spoil it for you.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 12, 2005
  19. On 11 Aug 2005 15:03:35 -0700, "Tmack" <>
    wrote:

    >All right then young man,
    >
    >I'm willing to bet that almost every other guy in this NG has spent
    >countless hours digging though technical manuals looking for that one
    >little command to fix a problem or to optimize a program.
    >
    >For you to post such a rookie question is basically saying "I'm too
    >lazy to make a concerted effort to dig into this. I'm just going to
    >ask someone that knows".
    >
    >Spend a little time researching stuff. I'll pay off in the end. >

    How much will you pay? :)

    Tom's Law...spelling and grammar flames can come back to haunt you.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 12, 2005
  20. On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:56:45 -0400, Thumper <>
    wrote:

    >On 11 Aug 2005 15:03:35 -0700, "Tmack" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>All right then young man,
    >>
    >>I'm willing to bet that almost every other guy in this NG has spent
    >>countless hours digging though technical manuals looking for that one
    >>little command to fix a problem or to optimize a program.
    >>
    >>For you to post such a rookie question is basically saying "I'm too
    >>lazy to make a concerted effort to dig into this. I'm just going to
    >>ask someone that knows".
    >>
    >>Spend a little time researching stuff. I'll pay off in the end. All
    >>of the information you sift through to get your answer will benefit you
    >>in the long run.
    >>
    >>There's a lot to learn, don't just depend on others to educate you.
    >>Do your best to find answers to questions on your own and then ask for
    >>help.
    >>
    >>When you get a job in IT the last thing the other guys in the shop want
    >>to deal with is a rookie asking basic questions. Everyone's too busy
    >>for that. Everyone has their own job responsibilities to tend to. They
    >>don't have time for questions like "what's pipe?".
    >>
    >>I'm being a prick about this but the lesson for you is that if you
    >>want to thrive, and not just survive, in this business you better get
    >>used to pulling your own weight and stop depending on others.
    >>
    >>Grasshopper, someday you'll thank me.

    > I doubt it.
    >
    >There is nothing wrong with asking a question. If you don't want to
    >answer just keep your mouth shut unless you have a compelling need to
    >show your ass.
    >Thumper

    What's the old saying? There are no stupid questions, only stupid
    answers.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 12, 2005