Re: DoS attack

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PseUDO, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. PseUDO

    PseUDO Guest

    "
    Microsoft has stymied the expected attack of the Blaster worm by taking the
    novel step of eliminating the windowsupdate.com address and unlinking it
    from its WindowsUpdate service, said an Internet performance monitoring firm
    Friday. The result: there should be no major Internet overloads caused by
    Blaster during the day. Lloyd Taylor, the vice president of KeyNote, a San
    Mateo, Calif.-based Internet monitoring company, said that the approach,
    while unusual, was fairly straight-forward. "Microsoft's pulled the teeth
    from Blaster," he said, by altering the domain name service (DNS) servers
    that are the Internet's address book. Normally, windowsupdate.com, the
    target address embedded in the Blaster worm, links to Microsoft's
    WindowsUpdate service, which provides patches for the company's products,
    including those necessary to fix the flaw in Windows NT 4.0, 2000, XP, and
    Server 2003, which Blaster exploits."

    end quote.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Aug 18, 2003

  2. PseUDO

    Jacob Boehme Guest

    PseUDO allegedly said:

    > "
    > Microsoft has stymied the expected attack of the Blaster worm by taking
    > the novel step of eliminating the windowsupdate.com address and unlinking
    > it from its WindowsUpdate service, said an Internet performance monitoring
    > firm Friday. The result: there should be no major Internet overloads
    > caused by Blaster during the day. Lloyd Taylor, the vice president of
    > KeyNote, a San Mateo, Calif.-based Internet monitoring company, said that
    > the approach, while unusual, was fairly straight-forward. "Microsoft's
    > pulled the teeth from Blaster," he said, by altering the domain name
    > service (DNS) servers that are the Internet's address book. Normally,
    > windowsupdate.com, the target address embedded in the Blaster worm, links
    > to Microsoft's WindowsUpdate service, which provides patches for the
    > company's products, including those necessary to fix the flaw in Windows
    > NT 4.0, 2000, XP, and Server 2003, which Blaster exploits."
    >
    > end quote.

    It has been suggested this is a sign that the virus has been a "test"....as
    there are enough errors in it - and the ease of de-fanging it - mean that
    it has been a potentially serious virus....that was seriously flawed.

    The issue there is: by accident or on purpose?

    Paranoia? Sure. Anyone who is paying attention these days can't help but be
    paranoid.

    There are more than enough REAL conspiracies around to make one more utterly
    possible.

    Jacob Boehme, Aug 18, 2003

  3. PseUDO

    Sting Guest

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:15:35 +1200, Jacob Boehme
    <> wrote:

    >> end quote.

    >It has been suggested this is a sign that the virus has been a "test"....as
    >there are enough errors in it - and the ease of de-fanging it - mean that
    >it has been a potentially serious virus....that was seriously flawed.
    >
    >The issue there is: by accident or on purpose?
    >
    >Paranoia? Sure. Anyone who is paying attention these days can't help but be
    >paranoid.
    >
    >There are more than enough REAL conspiracies around to make one more utterly
    >possible.

    Steve Gibson makes this suggestion. Actually I think he said this
    middle of last week from memory... dim and dark parts therof...

    Sting, Aug 19, 2003