Re: Don't buy Micoshaft branded hardware - it won't work with Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sharp Dressed Man, Nov 1, 2008.

  1. "7" <> wrote in message
    > Don't buy Micoshaft branded hardware - it won't work with Linux.
    >
    > Instead buy more generic brands that works with more OSes.
    > Save hours of grind getting things to work by checking
    > web sites for harware compatibility.
    >
    > In particular as Linux is taking over, buy products with
    > Linux compatibility listed.
    >
    > http://hardware4linux.info/
    >
    > Thats one place where you can check if the hardware you plan buying is
    > safe.
    >
    > Places where Linux is free to download:
    >
    > http://www.livecdlist.com
    > http://www.distrowatch.com
    > http://www.ubuntu.com

    My MS optical mouse works fine with Ubuntu...

    Sharp Dressed Man, Nov 1, 2008

  2. Sharp Dressed Man

    TomB Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
    On 2008-11-01, Sharp Dressed Man was urged to write the following:
    > "7" <> wrote in message
    >> Don't buy Micoshaft branded hardware - it won't work with Linux.
    >>
    >> Instead buy more generic brands that works with more OSes.
    >> Save hours of grind getting things to work by checking
    >> web sites for harware compatibility.
    >>
    >> In particular as Linux is taking over, buy products with
    >> Linux compatibility listed.
    >>
    >> http://hardware4linux.info/
    >>
    >> Thats one place where you can check if the hardware you plan buying is
    >> safe.
    >>
    >> Places where Linux is free to download:
    >>
    >> http://www.livecdlist.com
    >> http://www.distrowatch.com
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com

    > My MS optical mouse works fine with Ubuntu...

    As does my Microsoft "multimedia" keyboard. Which reminds me that I
    still have to replace the damn thing with a decent keyboard, one that
    doesn't have those silly "windows" keys.

    What an awfull "advocacy" post this is by the way. The mediocre
    hardware support under GNU/Linux has nothing to do with the fact that
    hardware is Microsoft branded or not. It is because hardware vendors
    don't put effort in developing - preferably open - drivers for
    GNU/Linux. It sucks, yes, but fortunately there are a lot of
    enthousiasts in the community willing to reverse engineer the hardware
    and write drivers for us. Better yet is trying to stick with
    Linux-friendly hardware as much as possible. Those vendors deserve our
    support.

    --
    My love life is terrible. The last time I was inside a woman was when I
    visited the Statue of Liberty.

    TomB, Nov 2, 2008

  3. Sharp Dressed Man

    Clogwog Guest

    "7" <> schreef in bericht
    > Sharp Dressed Man wrote:
    >
    >> "7" <> wrote in message
    >>> Don't buy Micoshaft branded hardware - it won't work with Linux.
    >>>
    >>> Instead buy more generic brands that works with more OSes.
    >>> Save hours of grind getting things to work by checking
    >>> web sites for harware compatibility.
    >>>
    >>> In particular as Linux is taking over, buy products with
    >>> Linux compatibility listed.
    >>>
    >>> http://hardware4linux.info/
    >>>
    >>> Thats one place where you can check if the hardware you plan buying is
    >>> safe.
    >>>
    >>> Places where Linux is free to download:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.livecdlist.com
    >>> http://www.distrowatch.com
    >>> http://www.ubuntu.com

    >> My MS optical mouse works fine with Ubuntu...

    > The corporate micoshaft wireless keyboard doesn't.
    >
    > The home PC Logitech wireless ones work with Ubuntu fine.

    You fucking moronic tit!, "easy" ( lol !) as taking a shit!
    You can't do much in Ubutu without the use of a console, huh!

    sudo gedit /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf
    You may be asked for your password, this is because we used sudo.
    At the end of the file, add the following (replacing KEYBOARD_ADDR and
    MOUSE_ADDR for the keyboard and mouse MAC addresses as found earlier)
    device KEYBOARD_ADDR {
    name "Microsoft Wireless Keyboard";
    auth enable;
    encrypt enable;
    }
    device MOUSE_ADDR {
    name "Microsoft Mouse";
    }
    Now you need to restart the bluetooth subsystem so that it refreshes it's
    configuration file.
    sudo /etc/init.d/bluez-utils restart
    * Restarting Bluetooth services. [ ok ]
    Pairing the Devices
    You now need to pair the devices with the computer. Do not press any buttons
    on the keyboard as we'll need to use it to enter a passcode so we can pair.
    Run the following command
    sudo hidd --search
    Searching .
    Connecting to device MOUSE_ADDR
    Connecting to device KEYBOARD_ADDR
    They could pair with the computer in any order, you will need to remember
    which one is the keyboard. As soon as Connecting to device KEYBOARD_ADDR
    appears you must enter a PIN code into the keyboard. It must consist of
    numbers not using the numpad, somewhere between 4 and 8 should be fine. Type
    this number in to the keyboard and press Return.
    A window should pop up on your computer asking you for the number you just
    entered on the keyboard.
    You should now be set up. The devices should automatically reconnect when
    they go to sleep and when your computer boots up.
    Troubleshooting
    If you have followed all the steps above and you find your mouse or keyboard
    don't automatically reconnect, we can fix it. Run the following command in a
    terminal
    sudo gedit /etc/default/bluez-utils
    Find the following lines
    HIDD_ENABLED=0
    HIDD_OPTIONS="."
    Change them to
    HIDD_ENABLED=1
    HIDD_OPTIONS="--master --connect KEYBOARD_ADDR --connect
    MOUSE_ADDR --server"
    Now reboot and hopefully they'll automatically connect (give them a few
    seconds to connect after you move the mouse/press a key).

    Clogwog, Nov 2, 2008