Re: Dolby Digital Surround EX flag on Star Wars Episodes 1-3 DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mark, Nov 10, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Mark, Nov 10, 2005

  2. Mark

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    >> yes i have just noticed this on my R2 copy of revenge of the sith.its
    >> the same
    >>
    >> did you manage to get a surround back channel out your amp? i have
    >> yamaha rx657, and i heard noting.
    >> interestingly, the THX trailier is ex, flaged, and my amp had not
    >> problem identifying that

    The movie was mixed for EX, but the DVD is not properly flagged. You
    have to manually engage EX decoding on your receiver.

    I find that it's usually best to just leave EX on all the time. Even
    movies not specifically mixed for it will often matrix well into the
    center back speaker.

    Joshua Zyber, Nov 10, 2005

  3. Mark

    Jim Johnson Guest

    I leave mine on to, but it is kind of odd that the THX trailer has a flag
    that my receiver recognizes and the movie does not.

    Jim

    Jim Johnson, Nov 10, 2005
  4. Mark

    Jim Johnson Guest

    along the same lines, I've noticed something else I've wondered about. Aside
    from the star wars disks, I have a good many disk that are EX encoded. When
    I play these the little graphic that most receivers have that displays the
    speakers engaged does not show the center back speakers engaged, but the
    receiver has recognized the flag and the decoder is on and working. The only
    disk I have that show all speakers (in the graphic) are the DTS 6.1 discrete
    ones. I just got Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which is EX and it lights
    up all the speakers in the graphic like the 6.1 discrete ones and does
    engage the decoder. No big deal - just something I've wondered about. My
    system is a 7.1 one by the way if that matters.

    Jim Johnson, Nov 10, 2005