Re: Dog race Portugal

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Twibil, Apr 6, 2009.

  1. Twibil

    Twibil Guest

    On Apr 5, 3:48 pm, "Focus" <> wrote:

    > Top speed I found for a greyhound was 84 M/ph ! (about 138 km/h, Wiki
    > answers)

    Wildly over-inflated answers. I've owned and coursed greyhounds for
    over 20 years, and have never seen or heard of one doing over 50 MPH,
    much less 80 MPH.

    Another thing I learned while coursing: never try to dodge a greyhound
    that's closing on you at top speed. It won't run into you on purpose,
    but if you dodge into it's path it probably won't have time to
    correct, and being hit in the legs by a 70 pound dog moving at 50 MPH
    will turn you into a human pinwheel. You will land on your head, and
    you will sustain a concussion.

    ~Pete

    Twibil, Apr 6, 2009

  2. Twibil

    Nicko Guest

    On Apr 5, 6:37 pm, Twibil <> wrote:
    > On Apr 5, 3:48 pm, "Focus" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Top speed I found for a greyhound was 84 M/ph ! (about 138 km/h, Wiki
    > > answers)

    > Wildly over-inflated answers. I've owned and coursed greyhounds for
    > over 20 years, and have never seen or heard of one doing over 50 MPH,
    > much less 80 MPH.

    You obviously aint never seen them dawgs run away from my cousin
    Bubba.

    --
    YOP...

    Nicko, Apr 6, 2009

  3. Twibil

    TonyCooper Guest

    On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 16:37:45 -0700 (PDT), Twibil <>
    wrote:

    >On Apr 5, 3:48 pm, "Focus" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Top speed I found for a greyhound was 84 M/ph ! (about 138 km/h, Wiki
    >> answers)

    >Wildly over-inflated answers. I've owned and coursed greyhounds for
    >over 20 years, and have never seen or heard of one doing over 50 MPH,
    >much less 80 MPH.
    >
    >Another thing I learned while coursing: never try to dodge a greyhound
    >that's closing on you at top speed. It won't run into you on purpose,
    >but if you dodge into it's path it probably won't have time to
    >correct, and being hit in the legs by a 70 pound dog moving at 50 MPH
    >will turn you into a human pinwheel. You will land on your head, and
    >you will sustain a concussion.

    This page agrees, but puts the top speed at 45 mph. That's "up to",
    meaning that the speed builds up to 45 mph over the course. That
    doesn't mean the dog is running at that speed over the entire distance
    of the race.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    TonyCooper, Apr 6, 2009
  4. Twibil

    Twibil Guest

    On Apr 5, 9:21 pm, TonyCooper <> wrote:

    > This page agrees, but puts the top speed at 45 mph.

    I've personally seen them radar-clocked at between 45 and 50 during an
    exibition over a 100 yard -and slightly downhill- course.

    > That's "up to", meaning that the speed builds up to 45 mph over the course.

    Not quite. Greyhounds in a hurry can hit their full stride within
    maybe 30 yards, and continue at that speed for perhaps another 200 (?)
    before starting to slow due to oxygen debt. After circa 1/2 mile at
    top speed they're generally pretty much done, but that varies from dog
    to dog. Racing dogs, for instance, are bred for blazing top speeds
    while hunters and coursers are generally bred and trained for lower
    speeds over longer distances.

    Mine were hunting-bred dogs who used to run along with me in 5 and 10K
    footraces, and at the human cusorial-cruising speed of circa 10 MPH
    your typical greyhound can go all day long while still happily
    sniffing the shorts of the lady just ahead of you... (Which startled
    the lady in question no end, and caused the United States Marines
    running in file just behind me to burst into approving laughter.)

    ~Pete

    Twibil, Apr 6, 2009
  5. Twibil

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Twibil" <> wrote in message
    On Apr 5, 9:21 pm, TonyCooper <> wrote:

    > This page agrees, but puts the top speed at 45 mph.

    I've personally seen them radar-clocked at between 45 and 50 during an
    exibition over a 100 yard -and slightly downhill- course.

    > That's "up to", meaning that the speed builds up to 45 mph over the
    > course.

    Not quite. Greyhounds in a hurry can hit their full stride within
    maybe 30 yards, and continue at that speed for perhaps another 200 (?)
    before starting to slow due to oxygen debt. After circa 1/2 mile at
    top speed they're generally pretty much done, but that varies from dog
    to dog. Racing dogs, for instance, are bred for blazing top speeds
    while hunters and coursers are generally bred and trained for lower
    speeds over longer distances.

    Mine were hunting-bred dogs who used to run along with me in 5 and 10K
    footraces, and at the human cusorial-cruising speed of circa 10 MPH
    your typical greyhound can go all day long while still happily
    sniffing the shorts of the lady just ahead of you... (Which startled
    the lady in question no end, and caused the United States Marines
    running in file just behind me to burst into approving laughter.)

    ~Pete

    For a moment, imagine you are a nice young lady who has boarded a flight
    from Vancouver, Canada, to Edmonton. You're at about 35,000 feet, and the
    stewardess has just given you your meal, when, all of a suddden, you feel a
    large, wet, tongue slurp across your ankle.

    That was the case when I was returning home from San Francisco with my first
    guide, Bonner.

    He was a large, male shepherd, not quite as big as Michener, but nearly 90
    pounds, nonetheless. We had pre-boarded, and the stewardess had stuck us in
    a window seat in the middle of the plane. A middle-aged couple sat in the
    two adjoining seats to Bonner and I, and the lady in front boarded a bit
    late, not knowing that a bored shepherd had shoe-horned himself into the
    area under her seat.

    Bonner tried to keep quiet, but when all the meals came out, he just had to
    start fidgeting, which I, of course, realized when I heard the scream from
    just in front of me.

    Next thing I knew, the woman was climbing over the back of her chair with
    bloody murder in her eyes. But, she stopped quickly when all she saw was
    three passengers eating their chicken dinners.

    The situation was hysterical, and one I will never forget...

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Apr 6, 2009
  6. Twibil

    TonyCooper Guest

    On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 06:16:07 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    <> wrote:

    >For a moment, imagine you are a nice young lady who has boarded a flight
    >from Vancouver, Canada, to Edmonton. You're at about 35,000 feet, and the
    >stewardess has just given you your meal, when, all of a suddden, you feel a
    >large, wet, tongue slurp across your ankle.
    >
    >That was the case when I was returning home from San Francisco with my first
    >guide, Bonner.
    >
    >He was a large, male shepherd, not quite as big as Michener, but nearly 90
    >pounds, nonetheless. We had pre-boarded, and the stewardess had stuck us in
    >a window seat in the middle of the plane. A middle-aged couple sat in the
    >two adjoining seats to Bonner and I, and the lady in front boarded a bit
    >late, not knowing that a bored shepherd had shoe-horned himself into the
    >area under her seat.
    >
    >Bonner tried to keep quiet, but when all the meals came out, he just had to
    >start fidgeting, which I, of course, realized when I heard the scream from
    >just in front of me.
    >
    >Next thing I knew, the woman was climbing over the back of her chair with
    >bloody murder in her eyes. But, she stopped quickly when all she saw was
    >three passengers eating their chicken dinners.
    >
    >The situation was hysterical, and one I will never forget...

    Oh, sure. Blame it on the dog. C'mon, you can level with us. How
    did you manage to scoot under the seat and lick the lady's ankle?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    TonyCooper, Apr 6, 2009
  7. Twibil

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "TonyCooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 06:16:07 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>For a moment, imagine you are a nice young lady who has boarded a flight
    >>from Vancouver, Canada, to Edmonton. You're at about 35,000 feet, and the
    >>stewardess has just given you your meal, when, all of a suddden, you feel
    >>large, wet, tongue slurp across your ankle.
    >>
    >>That was the case when I was returning home from San Francisco with my
    >>first
    >>guide, Bonner.
    >>
    >>He was a large, male shepherd, not quite as big as Michener, but nearly 90
    >>pounds, nonetheless. We had pre-boarded, and the stewardess had stuck us
    >>in
    >>a window seat in the middle of the plane. A middle-aged couple sat in the
    >>two adjoining seats to Bonner and I, and the lady in front boarded a bit
    >>late, not knowing that a bored shepherd had shoe-horned himself into the
    >>area under her seat.
    >>
    >>Bonner tried to keep quiet, but when all the meals came out, he just had
    >>start fidgeting, which I, of course, realized when I heard the scream from
    >>just in front of me.
    >>
    >>Next thing I knew, the woman was climbing over the back of her chair with
    >>bloody murder in her eyes. But, she stopped quickly when all she saw was
    >>three passengers eating their chicken dinners.
    >>
    >>The situation was hysterical, and one I will never forget...
    >>

    > Oh, sure. Blame it on the dog. C'mon, you can level with us. How
    > did you manage to scoot under the seat and lick the lady's ankle?
    >
    > --
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Yoga does have it's benefits... :)

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Apr 6, 2009
  8. Twibil

    Twibil Guest

    On Apr 5, 11:16 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <>
    wrote:

    > For a moment, imagine you are a nice young lady who has boarded a flight
    > from Vancouver, Canada, to Edmonton.  You're at about 35,000 feet, and the
    > stewardess has just given you your meal, when, all of a suddden, you feel a
    > large, wet, tongue slurp across your ankle.

    (SNIP)

    > The situation was hysterical, and one I will never forget...

    Great story, and I suspect the young lady probably still recalls it as
    well. Quite possibly with crystal clarity.

    I've had a few memorable dog stories of my own, including the morning
    that I found an almost-fledged young jaybird that had fallen out of
    it's nest onto our front porch. As I picked it up to return it to the
    nest, our big male Greyhound -Reebok- came wandering up to see what
    was going on.

    Not thinking, I held the tiny bird down for his inspection and there
    was a sudden blur, a crisp "SNAP!", and the sight of Reebok licking
    his lips -thereby displacing one small blue feather that floated
    slowly to the ground...

    Obviously thinking "Hey! Free brunch!" he'd plucked it cleanly out of
    my hand and swallowed it before I could so much as move.

    Despite that, I still miss him.

    ~Pete

    Twibil, Apr 6, 2009
  9. Twibil

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Twibil" <> wrote in message
    On Apr 5, 11:16 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <>
    wrote:

    > For a moment, imagine you are a nice young lady who has boarded a flight
    > from Vancouver, Canada, to Edmonton. You're at about 35,000 feet, and the
    > stewardess has just given you your meal, when, all of a suddden, you feel
    > large, wet, tongue slurp across your ankle.

    (SNIP)

    > The situation was hysterical, and one I will never forget...

    Great story, and I suspect the young lady probably still recalls it as
    well. Quite possibly with crystal clarity.

    I've had a few memorable dog stories of my own, including the morning
    that I found an almost-fledged young jaybird that had fallen out of
    it's nest onto our front porch. As I picked it up to return it to the
    nest, our big male Greyhound -Reebok- came wandering up to see what
    was going on.

    Not thinking, I held the tiny bird down for his inspection and there
    was a sudden blur, a crisp "SNAP!", and the sight of Reebok licking
    his lips -thereby displacing one small blue feather that floated
    slowly to the ground...

    Obviously thinking "Hey! Free brunch!" he'd plucked it cleanly out of
    my hand and swallowed it before I could so much as move.

    Despite that, I still miss him.

    ~Pete

    They are quick, aren't they?

    And, hey, nature will have its way...