Re: Does vista have the crappiest extraction algorithm ever?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bobs, Sep 30, 2007.

  1. Bobs

    Bobs Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > It just took me well over 30 minutes to extract a 500mb file on a dual
    > core machine with 2 gigs ram.
    >
    > Hopefully addressed in the next service pack. Shocking.

    ACtually, I take that back. It' still going. Looked like it was speeding
    up but slowing down again now. 35 mins and counting.....
    Bobs, Sep 30, 2007

  2. On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:07:08 +1300, Bobs wrote:

    >> It just took me well over 30 minutes to extract a 500mb file on a dual
    >> core machine with 2 gigs ram.
    >>
    >> Hopefully addressed in the next service pack. Shocking.

    > ACtually, I take that back. It' still going. Looked like it was speeding
    > up but slowing down again now. 35 mins and counting.....

    Most likely this is due to the paranoid media/hardware scanning that the
    OS is doing to ensure you cannot play any "high definition" files on non
    DRM'd hardware.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 30, 2007

  3. Hi there,

    Bobs wrote:
    > Bobs wrote:
    >
    >> It just took me well over 30 minutes to extract a 500mb file on a dual
    >> core machine with 2 gigs ram.
    >>
    >> Hopefully addressed in the next service pack. Shocking.

    > ACtually, I take that back. It' still going. Looked like it was speeding
    > up but slowing down again now. 35 mins and counting.....

    I tested zipping then unzipping a 533MB file here, and the whole thing
    was zipped/unzipped in less than a minute on my old Athlon64 clunker.

    I see some problems like yours on some near new Core 2 Duo hardware at
    work, with seemingly random slowdowns and lockups at times.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2#Chip_bugs

    Older P4 3.0GHz machines at work never have the kind of problems that
    newer Core 2 ones have. The enthusiasts love the Core 2 Quad CPU's but
    I can't help but feel that the Core 2 Duo and Solo chips are little
    more than underperforming marketing bumph...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...
    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 30, 2007
  4. On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:42:06 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    >> ACtually, I take that back. It' still going. Looked like it was speeding
    >> up but slowing down again now. 35 mins and counting.....

    > I tested zipping then unzipping a 533MB file here, and the whole thing
    > was zipped/unzipped in less than a minute on my old Athlon64 clunker.
    >
    > I see some problems like yours on some near new Core 2 Duo hardware at
    > work, with seemingly random slowdowns and lockups at times.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2#Chip_bugs
    >
    > Older P4 3.0GHz machines at work never have the kind of problems that
    > newer Core 2 ones have. The enthusiasts love the Core 2 Quad CPU's but
    > I can't help but feel that the Core 2 Duo and Solo chips are little
    > more than underperforming marketing bumph...

    You mean something like the early P4 chips that were, for quite some time,
    out-performed by the later P3 chips?

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 30, 2007
  5. Hi there,

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:42:06 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >

    >>>ACtually, I take that back. It' still going. Looked like it was speeding
    >>>up but slowing down again now. 35 mins and counting.....

    >>I tested zipping then unzipping a 533MB file here, and the whole thing
    >>was zipped/unzipped in less than a minute on my old Athlon64 clunker.
    >>
    >>I see some problems like yours on some near new Core 2 Duo hardware at
    >>work, with seemingly random slowdowns and lockups at times.
    >>
    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2#Chip_bugs
    >>
    >>Older P4 3.0GHz machines at work never have the kind of problems that
    >>newer Core 2 ones have. The enthusiasts love the Core 2 Quad CPU's but
    >>I can't help but feel that the Core 2 Duo and Solo chips are little
    >>more than underperforming marketing bumph...

    > You mean something like the early P4 chips that were, for quite some time,
    > out-performed by the later P3 chips?

    Precisely. We run AutoCAD 2008 on a large number of Core 2 Duo machines
    at work, and most of them experience performance issues intermittently.
    Meanwhile at home I have Win XP running in a VMware virtual machine, and
    I installed ACA8 2008 trial on that - ACAD runs *faster* virtually at
    home than it does *natively* at work on the Core 2 Duos...thats just
    wrong. It could be that I'm running openSUSE as the host OS... :)

    I'm thinking of buying a laptop but since the vast majority use Core 2
    CPU's that has put me off. Maybe an AMD Turion64 X2 would do the trick.

    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 30, 2007
  6. Bobs

    Peter Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > Bobs wrote:
    >> It just took me well over 30 minutes to extract a 500mb file on a dual
    >> core machine with 2 gigs ram.
    >> Hopefully addressed in the next service pack. Shocking.

    > ACtually, I take that back. It' still going. Looked like it was speeding
    > up but slowing down again now. 35 mins and counting.....

    IIRC there is something about copying in Vista, it is very slow in some
    circumstances apparently.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Sep 30, 2007
  7. On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:40:26 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > I'm thinking of buying a laptop but since the vast majority use Core 2
    > CPU's that has put me off. Maybe an AMD Turion64 X2 would do the trick.

    My question is... why are Intel "Core Duo" CPUs substantially cheaper than
    the AMD equivalents?

    Perhaps it's to do with that CPU bug. :eek:)

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 30, 2007
  8. Bobs

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Bobs" <> wrote in message
    > Bobs wrote:
    >> It just took me well over 30 minutes to extract a 500mb file on a dual
    >> core machine with 2 gigs ram.
    >>
    >> Hopefully addressed in the next service pack. Shocking.

    > ACtually, I take that back. It' still going. Looked like it was speeding
    > up but slowing down again now. 35 mins and counting.....

    You need Windows 7.....
    or XP for now.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Sep 30, 2007
  9. Hi there,

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:40:26 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >

    >>I'm thinking of buying a laptop but since the vast majority use Core 2
    >>CPU's that has put me off. Maybe an AMD Turion64 X2 would do the trick.

    > My question is... why are Intel "Core Duo" CPUs substantially cheaper than
    > the AMD equivalents?

    Its hard to effectively measure "equivalent". On paper my Athlon64
    3000+ at home should be "equivalent" to some P4 3.0GHz CAD machines
    at my work, but in reality AutoCAD on my home machine runs rings
    around the work machines.

    I've used AMD's since 2001 and have had no issues at all. Meanwhile
    I've come across several Intel systems with performance issues that
    just will not go away. Based on my observations I would happily stay
    using the AMD offerings.

    > Perhaps it's to do with that CPU bug. :eek:)

    Who knows? I can get an Athlon64 X2 6000+ for about AU$200, which is
    a good bang for buck deal. For the same money I could get a Core 2
    that on paper is better, but my experience with Core 2 machines at
    work and elsewhere would make me think twice. I don't believe they're
    all Intel cracks 'em up to be...

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 1, 2007