Re: Does this bear investigating?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Jun 3, 2009.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 01:11:35 -0500, Sarah Houston
    <> wrote:

    >Is it possible that Google would fix searches to make more money, or to
    >sell more services to people?
    >
    >I know someone who has a company and they have their little company web
    >site. They also pay a small sum for Adwords ads.
    >
    >They were at the top of the generic Google results for awhile, then they
    >fell to #5, for two sets of big key words for their business.
    >
    >BUT when they go to an anon web browser and Google the SAME keywords,
    >they're still up at #1!
    >
    >Could Google be fixing searches, because they want to SELL this business
    >( which already uses Adwords ) either MORE adwords services OR some SEO by
    >them?

    Google ranks their "hits" by the number of ads any site displays and
    even by how much that site is willing to pay. Whch is one of the
    reasons why you get sites on your search term that have nothing to do
    with what you searched for.

    Any time you enter more than one word, google will match on ANY of
    those other words and on any related term to those words. Of course,
    those sites with more google ads get placed higher in the list.

    richard, Jun 3, 2009

  2. richard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 01:11:35 -0500, Sarah Houston
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible that Google would fix searches to make more money, or to
    >> sell more services to people?
    >>
    >> I know someone who has a company and they have their little company web
    >> site. They also pay a small sum for Adwords ads.
    >>
    >> They were at the top of the generic Google results for awhile, then they
    >> fell to #5, for two sets of big key words for their business.
    >>
    >> BUT when they go to an anon web browser and Google the SAME keywords,
    >> they're still up at #1!
    >>
    >> Could Google be fixing searches, because they want to SELL this business
    >> ( which already uses Adwords ) either MORE adwords services OR some SEO by
    >> them?

    > Google ranks their "hits" by the number of ads any site displays and
    > even by how much that site is willing to pay. Whch is one of the
    > reasons why you get sites on your search term that have nothing to do
    > with what you searched for.
    >
    > Any time you enter more than one word, google will match on ANY of
    > those other words and on any related term to those words. Of course,
    > those sites with more google ads get placed higher in the list.

    Wrong on so many counts that I don't even know where to start!

    Desk Rabbit, Jun 3, 2009

  3. wetpixel wrote:

    > In article <>, richard
    > <> wrote:

    That was on 3rd June.
    >> On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 01:11:35 -0500, Sarah Houston
    >> <> wrote:

    Again.

    > Richard, Google ranks pages by how many _other_ sites link to that page
    > -- nothing about ads at all.

    Looks like wetpixel ran dry of new flamebaits on this froup?

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jun 20, 2009