Re: Does the latest Windows Media Player come w/all known codecs?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fourdogs, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Fourdogs

    Fourdogs Guest

    Daave wrote:

    > gangle <> wrote in message
    > > "Daave" wrote
    > > > Shep© wrote

    > you
    > > >

    > > > I've downloaded the DivX codecs. IIRC, they go into their own

    > folder.
    > > > Does WMP automatically tap into these? Might I be better off getting

    > the
    > > > DivX player?
    > > >
    > > > Also, I have RealPlayer (ver. 6, I believe). Is it necessary to DL
    > > > RealOne?

    > > Yes, WMP "uses" the codecs when necessary. Generally, codecs
    > > are on the computer itself (in the form of .dll files), and are

    > accessable
    > > by whatever player program needs them. The DivX player brings
    > > nothing to table that the highly stable WMP 6.4 doesn't already do.
    > >
    > > RealOne is TERRIBLE. What you need is RealPlayer 8. When
    > > installing it, say NO to everything it prompts you about
    > > with regard to "updates," etc. Then, from time to time, when
    > > running 8, it will beg you to download the RealOne, which you
    > > should just ignore. You can get the 8 Player here:
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/d0xt

    > Thanks, Gangle.
    >
    > The reason I had thought I had RP version 6.something is because I had
    > clicked on the Version tab on properties, and it said 6.0.9.584.
    >
    > I make it a habit of saving all my installer files. Today, I
    > double-checked, and sure enough I *had* installed RP 8. Interestingly,
    > when I clicked on Properties/Version of the installer, it said
    > 6.0.9.665. Weird, huh?
    >
    > Still, is there any content out there that won't play on RP 8 and that
    > requires RealOne? (I hope not; you're not the only one who's given me an
    > unfavorable review on RealOne.)
    >
    > --Dave
    >
    > P.S. Sometimes when I play files on WMP (or IrfanView for that
    > matter) --AVIs, mostly), the video frames "stick" for as many as 15
    > seconds (but the audio is fine). I wonder if this is more a function of
    > a faulty media file or my PC (which has Windows 98 SE, 500 Mz Celeron,
    > 128 MB RAM)--that is, maybe I simply need more RAM. Thanks in advance if
    > anyone else has had similar experiences and can explain this phenomenon
    > to me. Note: I religiously do maintenance a la Dollface!

    Interesting thread here. I also have the problem of downloaded movies
    pausing in WMP 9. They played correctly before with my previous
    computer and an older version of WMP. Some 30 min. movies finish in 45
    seconds, for example, also. I cam play the same movie file with RealOne
    player and it has no problem. I am using Win XP home SP1, 2 gig P4, 128
    meg e-GeforceFX 5200 video card, and 1024 megs PC 2100 DDR SDRAM. I
    don't know what changed to cause my problem, but RealOne is the only way
    that I can watch these movies now.
    --

    regards,
    4D