Re: Does it have to be Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aardvark, Jan 15, 2010.

  1. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:22:52 +0800, Ivan wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me if Ubuntu can work without the presence of Microsoft
    > on the HDD;

    Of course. That's like asking if a Mac can work without Micro$oft.

    > totally on its own? Or, I would not mind to install some
    > other OS, even if it is in different language form English, like German
    > for example, just to get rid of Microsoft.

    You can install Linux in any language that takes your fancy. Some you
    might not even have heard of.

    > Now, at this moment I was trying to install Ubuntu on my laptop, but,
    > after many attempts, again the time spent in wain.

    Shouldn't take more than an hour from start to finish. Less in many cases.

    Aardvark, Jan 15, 2010

  2. Aardvark

    thanatoid Guest

    Aardvark <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:22:52 +0800, Ivan wrote:

    <SNIP>

    >> Now, at this moment I was trying to install Ubuntu on my
    >> laptop, but, after many attempts, again the time spent in
    >> wain.

    > Shouldn't take more than an hour from start to finish. Less
    > in many cases.

    My only Linux experience so far is running Damn Small Linux
    (which came on the TinyXP 0.9 CD) from RAM - it booted in about
    5 minutes, and everything worked right off the bat - I just had
    to make a one-click change in network settings to get on the
    net. I DID have minor problems trying to do some stuff, but I
    think they were largely caused by the fact that since I was
    totally in RAM, my HD "did not exist" for DamnSmall. As I said,
    for NEVER having used an OS before, to have it up and running
    from RAM after clicking ONE setup button AND being able to get
    on the net within ten minutes is pretty impressive - for the
    **OS**, not me as the user.

    I know Ubuntu is not DamnSmall, BTW... Still...

    --
    There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
    and those that will break later.
    thanatoid, Jan 15, 2010

  3. Aardvark

    Syd Catarina Guest

    Some would-be minnow named Ivan wrote in

    > Thanking you for your comments,

    As well you may say, you top-posting ingrown arse-hair. But did you get
    the technically correct answer to your problem? Or, as all other nutjobs
    like yourself, did you see only the damnation and profanity?

    > it should be enough for now.

    I see. You are too fucking stupid to work a krillfile therefore those you
    don't want to hear from should shut the **** up, right?

    Try again, Ifan. Perhaps one day you'll grow a fucking clue.

    --
    A test sig
    Syd Catarina, Jan 16, 2010
  4. Aardvark

    Fred Hall Guest

    I ain't his countryman, I'm a Kiwi, ****

    > (I can find it any more for some reason)

    Because I nuked it from Google, moron

    >, I decided not to have
    >any konversation with you.

    Translation: Waaaaa, K-man hurt my pussy

    --

    Russell Tavek drank my .sig
    Fred Hall, Jan 16, 2010
  5. Aardvark

    Fred Hall Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:25:21 +0100, Erilg the brooding
    prostitute-cankerer <>
    wrote:

    >Some snow-blinded vampire named Fred Hall wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:59:03 +0800, "Ivan" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Since I happen to see your post to some other of your fellow
    >>>countryman

    >> I ain't his countryman, I'm a Kiwi, ****
    >>
    >>> (I can find it any more for some reason)

    >> Because I nuked it from Google, moron
    >>
    >>>, I decided not to have
    >>>any konversation with you.

    >> Translation: Waaaaa, K-man hurt my pussy

    >He's all yours, mate.

    Not much of a challenge. You slapped him once, and he was ready to
    run away

    --

    Russell Tavek drank my .sig
    Fred Hall, Jan 16, 2010
  6. Aardvark

    cc Guest

    Schizophrenia - twice the fun

    How often should I wash my bed sheets?
    cc, Jan 16, 2010
  7. Aardvark

    Gregory Hall Guest

    Re: Schizophrenia - twice the fun

    "cc" <0nnnni3> wrote in message
    > How often should I wash my bed sheets?

    You can go a LONG time between washing bed sheets.

    Even longer if you have a twin or full-sized bed and use king-sized sheets.

    Just fold them over and sleep on the until they get sorta yellow, wet and
    greasy feeling and a little smelly. Then fold them so the unslept-on side is
    up and the dirty side is down and then sleep that way until they get slimy,
    smelly and greasy feeling again.

    Then remove them and switch them end for end and do the process over again.

    I've got it down to a science. I wash my sheets twice a year and save a lot
    of money. Freaking laundry mats charge so much these days for a wash and dry
    that one can almost get away with buying cheap sheets at the Dollar Store
    and throwing them away after half a year's use instead of washing them at
    all.

    --
    Gregory Hall
    Gregory Hall, Jan 16, 2010
  8. Aardvark

    chuckcar Guest

    "Ivan" <> wrote in

    > I have Ubuntu already installed on two of my desktop HDD and one of
    > the laptops, but would like to have it on all of my computers. Ubuntu
    > installation was a major issue on ALL occasions, due to internet
    > (dropping down to under a 1 kilobeeps/sec, which is 30 times lower
    > that the dial-up would give). Since my partner's computer runs from
    > the same router, and works normally, I suspect that there is some
    > Trojan in one of Microsoft's software (or their affiliates, of which I
    > was BUYING massively, not pirating), which works in some of my
    > computers now. This happens usually when one tests the software and
    > refuses to buy, but rather uninstalls their software; usually it is
    > very complicated process. I suspect that it would be everything OK if
    > I buy that particular license, but I just do not want it.

    Try looking at the internet connection HOTTO's to diagnose your problem.
    There is very little malware for linux. Disconnecting any non-linux
    machines from the network temporarily will allow you to show if it is
    the Microsoft boxes that are the problem..

    There are four HOWTO's that are relevent: home networking, dial-up,
    cable internet and ADSL. They all include step by step testing and
    detailed definitions and setup information.

    Dialup:

    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/ISP-Hookup-HOWTO.html

    Cable internet:

    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Cable-Modem/index.html

    DSL/ADSL (the difference is determined by your ISP, not you):

    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/index.html

    Home networking:

    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/networking.html

    In this last I included the full networking documentation as routers are
    not trivial to setup and your problem is sufficiently vaguely decribed
    that I believe leaving something out would make things harder.

    As I said earlier, linux includes documentation for *everything*. You
    just have to look for it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jan 17, 2010