Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Derick Winkworth, Jul 17, 2006.

  1. You might want to check out Vyatta.

    www.vyatta.com

    You can get performance on a commodity PC (32-bit, 33mhz PCI bus) roughly on
    par with a 2600 series router... and it's open-source.

    They just reached the "v1.0" milestone...

    Derick Winkworth, Jul 17, 2006

  2. Yes. One of them is Juniper.

    scilent-project, Jul 19, 2006

  3. Juniper appears quite concerned about solutions that "substitute" for
    routers.

    Juniper Networks states,

    "Competition in the network infrastructure and security markets is
    intense.

    Cisco Systems, has historically dominated the market, with other
    companies such as Nortel Networks, Alcatel, CheckPoint Software
    Technologies, and Huawei Technologies providing competitive products.

    In addition, a number of public and private companies have announced
    plans for new products to address the same needs that our products
    address.

    We believe that our ability to compete with Cisco and others depends
    upon our ability to demonstrate that our products are superior in
    meeting the needs of our current and potential customers.

    We expect that, over time, large companies with significant resources,
    technical expertise, market experience, customer relationships and
    broad product lines, such as Cisco, Nortel, Alcatel, and Huawei
    Technologies, will introduce new products which are designed to compete

    more effectively in this market.

    As a result, we expect to face increased competition in the future from

    larger companies with significantly more resources than we have.

    Although we believe that our technology and the purpose-built features
    of our products make them unique and will enable us to compete
    effectively with these companies, we cannot guarantee that we will be
    successful.

    Many of our current and potential competitors, such as Cisco, Nortel,
    Alcatel, and Huawei Technologies have significantly broader product
    lines than we do and may bundle their products with other networking
    products in a manner that may discourage customers from purchasing our
    products.

    Also, many of our current and potential competitors have greater name
    recognition and more extensive customer bases that could be leveraged.
    Increased competition could result in price reduction, fewer customer
    orders, reduced gross margins and loss of market share, any of which
    could seriously harm our operating results.

    There are also several other companies that claim to have products with

    greater capabilities than our products.

    Consolidation in this industry has begun, with one or more of these
    smaller private companies being acquired by large, established
    suppliers of network infrastructure products, and we believe it is
    likely to continue.

    As a result, we expect to face increased competition in the future from

    larger companies with significantly more resources than we have.

    Several companies also provide solutions that can substitute for some
    uses of routers.

    For example, high bandwidth Asynchronous Transfer Mode ("ATM")
    switches are used in the core of certain major backbone service
    providers.

    ATM switches can carry a variety of traffic types, including voice,
    video and data, using fixed, 53 byte cells.

    Companies that use ATM switches are enhancing their products with new
    software technologies such as Multi-Protocol Label Switching
    ("MPLS"), which can potentially simplify the task of mixing routers
    and switches in the same network.

    These substitutes can reduce the need for large numbers of routers."

    Page 8 - Competition

    http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1043604/000095013406004424/f17833e10vk.htm#102

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com - Global Cisco Systems Pre-Sales Support
    http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm#GLOBAL
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680