Re: Does anyone here use 3 or more internet browsers?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Joe J, Jun 28, 2011.

  1. Joe J

    Joe J Guest

    Joe J, Jun 28, 2011

  2. wert banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    > Glad Im not the only crazy one lol.
    > I just find that different browsers have different pros and cons and I
    > use firefox for some tasks but for others Chrome and so on.

    Given that there are and will always be pros and cons for any browser
    (or anything, for that matter), I can't help but wonder why you do
    this. I guess what I mean is there something you can't do on a
    particular browser or is it that it's just more familiar and
    comfortable?

    I've had multiple browsers installed for a comparison study before
    deciding what to go with. I recently switched over to Firebox &
    Thunderbird to replace IE and Outlook Express, but I left the MS
    programs on as "what if" backups.

    Not criticizing, just curious.

    Of course, I can see having multiple browsers to test web pages, but
    other than that, I'm clueless.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road,
    and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be
    swept off to.
    -Samwise Gamgee quoting Bilbo Baggins, edited
    James D Andrews, Jun 29, 2011

  3. I caught a glimpse of James D Andrews <> on Tue, 28
    Jun 2011 23:41:25 -0500, writing in alt.computer:

    >wert banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    >> Glad Im not the only crazy one lol.
    >> I just find that different browsers have different pros and cons and I
    >> use firefox for some tasks but for others Chrome and so on.

    >Given that there are and will always be pros and cons for any browser
    >(or anything, for that matter), I can't help but wonder why you do
    >this. I guess what I mean is there something you can't do on a
    >particular browser or is it that it's just more familiar and
    >comfortable?

    I usually have two Opera versions installed, the current version and a
    beta version.

    I use K-Meleon for pages that won't open in a particular Opera version,
    using K-Meleon for that purpose mainly because it automatically loads
    the latest updated Opera bookmarks as it starts up.

    >I've had multiple browsers installed for a comparison study before
    >deciding what to go with. I recently switched over to Firebox &
    >Thunderbird to replace IE and Outlook Express,

    I tried Chrome which left me brassed off but I always install the latest
    Firefox in case I want to make it my default browser one day.

    >but I left the MS programs on as "what if" backups.

    Internet Explorer can be difficult to remove. :)
    --

    Erik
    Erik Vastmasd, Jul 2, 2011
  4. I caught a glimpse of Robert Baer <> on Sat, 02
    Jul 2011 18:15:04 -0800, writing in alt.computer:

    >Erik Vastmasd wrote:
    >> I caught a glimpse of James D Andrews <> on Tue, 28
    >> Jun 2011 23:41:25 -0500, writing in alt.computer:
    >>
    >>> I guess what I mean is there something you can't do on a
    >>> particular browser or is it that it's just more familiar and
    >>> comfortable?

    >>> I've had multiple browsers installed for a comparison study before
    >>> deciding what to go with. I recently switched over to Firebox &
    >>> Thunderbird to replace IE and Outlook Express,

    >>> but I left the MS programs on as "what if" backups.

    >> Internet Explorer can be difficult to remove. :)

    > Tell me.
    > Took days of banging away at IE files on the hard drive, and banging
    >away in the registry; back and forth.
    > Worse than any virus i removed that way.
    > Had complete success in Win98SE, but gave up in Win2K.
    > I would take a guess that removal of IE is impossible in Win7, with
    >the exception that one can always remove Win7...

    LOL, I don't have an icon for it in the Win 7 Start menu so I don't
    notice it too much. :)
    --

    Erik
    Erik Vastmasd, Jul 3, 2011
  5. Robert Baer embroidered on the monitor :
    > Erik Vastmasd wrote:
    >> I caught a glimpse of James D Andrews <> on Tue, 28
    >> Jun 2011 23:41:25 -0500, writing in alt.computer:
    >>
    >>> wert banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    >>> Given that there are and will always be pros and cons for any browser (or
    >>> anything, for that matter), I can't help but wonder why you do this. I
    >>> guess what I mean is there something you can't do on a particular browser
    >>> or is it that it's just more familiar and comfortable?

    >> I usually have two Opera versions installed, the current version and a
    >> beta version.
    >>
    >> I use K-Meleon for pages that won't open in a particular Opera version,
    >> using K-Meleon for that purpose mainly because it automatically loads
    >> the latest updated Opera bookmarks as it starts up.
    >>
    >>> I've had multiple browsers installed for a comparison study before
    >>> deciding what to go with. I recently switched over to Firebox &
    >>> Thunderbird to replace IE and Outlook Express,

    >> I tried Chrome which left me brassed off but I always install the latest
    >> Firefox in case I want to make it my default browser one day.
    >>
    >>> but I left the MS programs on as "what if" backups.

    >> Internet Explorer can be difficult to remove. :)

    > Tell me.
    > Took days of banging away at IE files on the hard drive, and banging away
    > in the registry; back and forth.
    > Worse than any virus i removed that way.
    > Had complete success in Win98SE, but gave up in Win2K.
    > I would take a guess that removal of IE is impossible in Win7, with the
    > exception that one can always remove Win7...

    IE8 was a pain to remove before from XP when it was messing up. Turns
    out that if you installed it before you installed SP3, you first had to
    uninstall SP3, then uninstall IE, then reinstall SP3, and if you
    wanted, then reinstall IE8.

    What a pain.

    I haven't made the big leap to Win7 yet. I may just wait for Win8
    since it's already well on the way.

    James D Andrews, Jul 3, 2011