Re: Does anyone else have any warning about the validity of this site?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 4, 2010.

  1. ~BD~ wrote:

    > I've obfuscated with two x's
    >
    > hxxp://www.aw-confirm.net/refundtax/index.php

    Perhaps it is because Her Majesty's Tax Service is registered to a name
    in *Romania* - and uses an obviously false contact name.

    ~$ whois aw-confirm.net

    Administrative Contact:
    motors, ebay
    , 5
    azoreus, RO 12134
    IT
    +39.40722246789

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 4, 2010

  2. ~BD~ wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> ~BD~ wrote:
    >>> I've obfuscated with two x's
    >>>
    >>> hxxp://www.aw-confirm.net/refundtax/index.php

    >> Perhaps it is because Her Majesty's Tax Service is registered to a name
    >> in *Romania* - and uses an obviously false contact name.
    >>
    >> ~$ whois aw-confirm.net
    >>
    >> Administrative Contact:
    >> motors, ebay
    >> , 5
    >> azoreus, RO 12134
    >> IT
    >> +39.40722246789

    > Thanks for responding Bts - I appreciate the information .....
    > ....... but you didn't answer my question!

    You didn't post any question. I quoted your entire content and do not
    see a question.

    > Some browsers *do* now produce a warning of one sort or another, often
    > by a colour change of the address bar.

    ...or better yet (as some n00b surfers may be colour-blind), the warning
    message you saw.

    > I've posted the 'warning' sign given by Safari.
    > Did *your* _browser_ give you any sort of warning?

    Yes, a couple of them. Browsers started doing that a couple years ago,
    because the n00bs are too thick to recognize when they are being
    scammed.

    > Which browser do you use btw?

    I use several browsers, depending on the task(s) at hand. All of them
    are Linux browsers.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 4, 2010

  3. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    unruh Guest

    On 2010-03-04, ~BD~ <BoaterDave@~NO.SPAM~hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> ~BD~ wrote:

    >>> Thanks for responding Bts - I appreciate the information .....
    >>> ....... but you didn't answer my question!

    >> You didn't post any question. I quoted your entire content and do not
    >> see a question.

    > I apologise for posing my question in the thread 'Subject'.
    >
    > (Someone of your intellect might well have noticed that!)

    Your question in the subject makes little sense. Why do you care if
    someone else also gets a warning? That is obviously a fraudulent
    phishing address, whose purpose is to destroy your financial livelihood.
    You should be glad if your browser warned you.
    He pointed out to you as perhaps you had not noticed, that this site is a
    fraudulent site. And all you do is yell at him.

    >>> Some browsers *do* now produce a warning of one sort or another, often
    >>> by a colour change of the address bar.

    >> ..or better yet (as some n00b surfers may be colour-blind), the warning
    >> message you saw.

    > Indeed. (nice to see you adopting _UK_ English! <g>)
    >

    >>> I've posted the 'warning' sign given by Safari.
    >>> Did *your* _browser_ give you any sort of warning?

    >> Yes, a couple of them. Browsers started doing that a couple years ago,
    >> because the n00bs are too thick to recognize when they are being
    >> scammed.

    > You say 'n00b' in a derogatory way - as if you had never been one.
    > Perhaps they are not all "thick", just not familiar with computers.
    > Chances are, I'll bet, that *you'll* be dead long before most of *them*!

    And this advances your question how?

    unruh, Mar 5, 2010
  4. ~BD~ wrote:

    > unruh wrote:
    >> ~BD~ wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You say 'n00b' in a derogatory way - as if you had never been one.

    I was a n00b perhaps 30 years ago, or more.

    >>> Perhaps they are not all "thick", just not familiar with computers.
    >>> Chances are, I'll bet, that *you'll* be dead long before most of
    >>> *them*!

    >> And this advances your question how?

    > Not at all, but it made me feel better! ;)
    >
    > Many 'n00bs' (myself excluded) are somewhat younger than Bts - that
    > is hardly a fault, is it.

    Many n00bs are also older than bts (1941). Age doesn't matter.

    > Arrogance doesn't really have much of a place on a supposedly 'help'
    > site.

    What 'help' site?

    Anyway, the subject is now moot, as the aw-confirm site has been taken
    down.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 5, 2010