Re: Does anybody know about this URL *.0.0.0.0

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by aannggeell, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. aannggeell

    aannggeell Guest

    ..
    First, and most importantly:
    Thank you to all who are taking an interest and have advised.
    ..
    Update:
    When *.0.0.0.0 is typed in to the address bar of my browser, MS IE 5.5,
    the resulting Webpage is:
    http://htpp.ws/microsoftantispy/?url=http://*.0.0.0.0 The page loads
    weather or not I am connected to the Internet. It is not a saved page in
    Favorites, nor in Offline Web Pages.
    I followed the LINK while Online and it resulted in a page that appeared
    to be Microsoft, advertising several major name anti-virus and anti-malware
    products.
    ..
    In Safe Mode, I Removed *.0.0.0.0 from MS IE 5.5/Tools/Internet
    Options/Security/Trusted sites/Sites and it made no difference. It
    reappeared by the next time I opened the Options.
    ..
    In Safe Mode, I added
    http://htpp.ws/microsoftantispy/?url=http://*.0.0.0.0 to the Restricted
    sites, and it Shortened and changed itself to http://*.htpp.ws by the next
    time I opened the Options.
    ..
    In Safe Mode I ran Updated AVG 7 free edition. Did not find anything.
    ..
    Just a note: with my IBM ThinkPad Series i 1400-1500; Windows 98 Second
    Edition; and MS OE (v?, but newer than 5.5), I was able to delete individual
    News messages; several at a time; or a whole NewsGroup messages with out any
    fuss.
    Limitations may be with the Windows 95 and MS OE 5.5.
    ..
    Angel
    ..
    aannggeell, Feb 9, 2005

  2. aannggeell wrote:

    > .
    > First, and most importantly:
    > Thank you to all who are taking an interest and have advised.
    > .
    > Update:
    > When *.0.0.0.0 is typed in to the address bar of my browser, MS IE
    > 5.5,
    > the resulting Webpage is:
    > http://htpp.ws/microsoftantispy/?url=http://*.0.0.0.0 The page
    > loads
    > weather or not I am connected to the Internet. It is not a saved page in
    > Favorites, nor in Offline Web Pages.
    > I followed the LINK while Online and it resulted in a page that
    > appeared
    > to be Microsoft, advertising several major name anti-virus and
    > anti-malware products.
    > .
    > In Safe Mode, I Removed *.0.0.0.0 from MS IE 5.5/Tools/Internet
    > Options/Security/Trusted sites/Sites and it made no difference. It
    > reappeared by the next time I opened the Options.
    > .
    > In Safe Mode, I added
    > http://htpp.ws/microsoftantispy/?url=http://*.0.0.0.0 to the
    > Restricted
    > sites, and it Shortened and changed itself to http://*.htpp.ws by the next
    > time I opened the Options.
    > .
    > In Safe Mode I ran Updated AVG 7 free edition. Did not find anything.
    > .
    > Just a note: with my IBM ThinkPad Series i 1400-1500; Windows 98
    > Second
    > Edition; and MS OE (v?, but newer than 5.5), I was able to delete
    > individual News messages; several at a time; or a whole NewsGroup messages
    > with out any fuss.
    > Limitations may be with the Windows 95 and MS OE 5.5.
    > .
    > Angel

    Dude, did you post this question a little while ago? Here are the only
    reasons, I can think of, that you would see "0.0.0.0":

    1) it used to be used as a "default route" statement in some older routing
    protocols -- Clearly not valid where you are seeing it (in IE).

    2) It is used by the DHCP client's source IP field (before it gets an IP
    address) -- Again, clearly not valid where you are seeing it (in IE).

    3) It is used as a network/host mask in firewall rules, etc -- This might be
    valid since it has a "*" in front of it. In other words, check to see if IE
    supports network/host masks in the "trusted sites" area. This could be the
    case. If so, it is still not valid because why would you have an "allow all
    hosts" in your "trusted sites" configuration?

    Think about it. You said when you go to the page it claims to be MS
    advertising anti spyware, etc. MS just bought a anti-spyware company why
    would they advertise someone else's anti spyware?

    Do this:

    Open up the web page, like you described above. In IE, view the source of
    the page (it will display the HTML code). Look at the links in the html
    source. There you will see where the links really go.

    Michael
    Michael J. Pelletier, Feb 9, 2005