Re: Do you need the stun server?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Philippe Deleye, Jan 24, 2009.

  1. "Nigel" <> schreef in bericht
    news:glf6bf$3lc$...

    > I am just setting up Just voip using a fritzbox. Do I need to put in the
    > Stunserver or not ? Will I get better quality if I do or is it best not
    > to use it. Also is it worth using:-
    > stun.justvoip.com:5060

    If your FritzBox is used as a ADSL Modem, or directly connected to the
    internet (e.g. Cable modem), then you do not need to enter a stun.
    If your FritzBox is connected behind a router (e.g used as an ATA, or as a
    "Client" in your local network, then you should enter a stun.
    The only function of a stun server, is to find out behing which kind of
    firewall you are. The stun also detects your external IP.

    Philippe
    Philippe Deleye, Jan 24, 2009

  2. Philippe Deleye

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:497b669e$0$2846$,
    Philippe Deleye <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : "Nigel" <> schreef in bericht
    : news:glf6bf$3lc$...
    :
    : > I am just setting up Just voip using a fritzbox. Do I need to put
    : > in the Stunserver or not ? Will I get better quality if I do or is
    : > it best not to use it. Also is it worth using:-
    : > stun.justvoip.com:5060
    :
    : If your FritzBox is used as a ADSL Modem, or directly connected to the
    : internet (e.g. Cable modem), then you do not need to enter a stun.
    : If your FritzBox is connected behind a router (e.g used as an ATA, or
    : as a "Client" in your local network, then you should enter a stun.
    : The only function of a stun server, is to find out behing which kind
    : of firewall you are. The stun also detects your external IP.
    :
    : Philippe

    Hmm, which Fritz!Box..? My 7170 doesn't appear to have anywhere to put
    stun server details. Unless I'm being particularly thick this evening, but
    I can't see it anywhere.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 24, 2009

  3. Nigel a écrit :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I think you only get the option if you don't connect the 7170 directly to
    > the internet.
    > I don't because I use a cable modem which I then connect to a LAN socket on
    > the Fritzbox. It could be also i have the geramn fritzbox?
    >
    > Has anybody charged a Fritzbox from German to English I have been looking at
    > the forums and it seems quite easy - but I don't want to brick my box.

    You will find more information here:
    http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=97250&highlight=english
    Let us know how you did it and what happened.

    --
    Cordialement,
    ________________

    __o
    _'\(,_
    (_)/ (_)
    André Tuytschaver, Jan 25, 2009
  4. "Nigel" <> wrote in message

    > I don't because I use a cable modem which I then connect to a LAN socket

    on
    > the Fritzbox. It could be also i have the geramn fritzbox?

    In this case you don't need stun.
    You are connected directly trough the internet (via the Cable Modem), and
    your device is not behind a router/firewall

    > Has anybody charged a Fritzbox from German to English I have been looking

    at
    > the forums and it seems quite easy - but I don't want to brick my box.

    I tried one and broke one Box already. Unless you desperately need the
    English version, I won't do it.
    Once your Box is set-up there is no frequent need anymore to go into the web
    interface ...

    Ph
    Philippe Deleye, Jan 28, 2009