Re: Do you get BSOD blue screens of death in windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by XS11E, Jun 27, 2011.

  1. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    wert <> wrote:

    > Has anyone had a dreaded BSOD on windows 7 yet?

    I have never had a BSOD on Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows
    98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows Vista or Windows 7.

    May have something to do with RTFM?

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Jun 27, 2011

  2. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    XS11E <> wrote:

    > I have never had a BSOD on Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1, Windows 95,
    > Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows Vista or Windows 7.

    Forgot Windows XP and Windows XP 64 bit, sorry.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Jun 27, 2011

  3. well, it really isn't always RTFM, but often bad drivers. Amazing that
    you've never hit one of them.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Jun 28, 2011
  4. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Charlie Russel-MVP" <> wrote:

    > well, it really isn't always RTFM, but often bad drivers. Amazing
    > that you've never hit one of them.

    Since Vista came out, it's often flakey memory modules, never hit
    one of them, either.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Jun 28, 2011
  5. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    Zootal <> wrote:

    > XS11E <> wrote in
    > news:Xns9F11589F5B882xs11eyahoocom@ 127.0.0.1:
    >
    >> wert <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone had a dreaded BSOD on windows 7 yet?

    >> I have never had a BSOD on Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1, Windows 95,
    >> Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows Vista or Windows 7.
    >>
    >> May have something to do with RTFM?

    > wow...never? Then you have never used these verison of windows!
    >
    > Seriously, do you have any idea how much credibility you loose
    > making statements like that?
    >
    > Or did I miss the sarcasm?

    No sarcasm, no credibility issue, my experiences with all of these
    versions of Windows is typical of many, many users.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Jul 1, 2011
  6. XS11E

    John Turco Guest

    XS11E wrote:

    > > Zootal <> wrote:

    > >> I have never had a BSOD on Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1, Windows 95,
    > >> Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows Vista or Windows 7.
    > >>
    > >> May have something to do with RTFM?

    > > wow...never? Then you have never used these verison of windows!
    > >
    > > Seriously, do you have any idea how much credibility you loose
    > > making statements like that?
    > >
    > > Or did I miss the sarcasm?

    > No sarcasm, no credibility issue, my experiences with all of
    > these versions of Windows is typical of many, many users.

    Okay, forget "sarcasm" and "credibility" -- how's "lucky" sound
    to you?

    I've used Windows 3.1, 95, 98, ME and XP. Of those, only XP has
    avoided giving me a BSOD (although, it >has< caused me to reboot,
    for other reasons).

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 9, 2011
  7. XS11E

    vortch Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 22:46:09 -0500, John Turco <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    I've had blue screens on all of them, almost always device drivers
    causing it.
    Depends how much you use the computer, I guess.
    Used Vista for about a year about 2 years after it came out, never got
    one bsod. (Many at work though.)
    Haven't had one on Win 7 x86 yet.
    I Use Win 7 x64 most, get blue screened occasionally, usually pointing
    to Nvidia, but who knows - I change drivers too much.
    It's all research to me, the approved MS drivers are usually pretty
    stable, even if out of date.

    vortch, Jul 9, 2011
  8. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    vortch <> wrote:

    > I Use Win 7 x64 most, get blue screened occasionally, usually
    > pointing to Nvidia,

    One reason I've never had a BSOD is due to my refusal to use ANY nVidia
    product. If a motherboard has a built-in nVidia graphics set (I try to
    avoid those) I have an ATC video card installed before the MB is ever
    powered up and at first power on I enter the BIOS and disable the
    onboard graphics.

    Another reason to RTFM (which includes newsgroups), I heard many horror
    stories about nVidia from very early Windows 3.x days through the post
    above. <G>

    NOTE: nVidea graphics are absolutely GREAT graphics cards when they
    work! They're fast, very powerful but very unreliable if one can
    believe all the fuss reported in various news groups.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Jul 9, 2011
  9. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    John Turco <> wrote:

    > Okay, forget "sarcasm" and "credibility" -- how's "lucky" sound
    > to you?

    Sure, to some small extent. I guess this makes most Windows users "lucky"?

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Jul 9, 2011
  10. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    wert <> wrote:

    > No blue screens is definitely very lucky imo.

    Luck has little to do with it.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Jul 10, 2011
  11. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    Zootal <> wrote:

    > Several years ago it was the other way around. About the time the
    > ATI Rage Fury was being sold, Windows 2000 was still pretty new
    > and hadn't had enough service packs to really be all that stable -
    > remember the tcpip.sys bsods? And the disk caching problems that
    > caused certain file types to be permantly wiped when it did BSOD?
    > Pre-SP Win2000 was so bad I had to revert to Win98 just to get a
    > semi-stable box.

    Never had a BSOD on Win2000, it was rock solid from the first beta
    version I ran.

    > Another hard lesson learned back when was when building a box NEVER
    > use off brand hardware.

    My experiences have been different, I built a box for Vista years back,
    went to Fry's and got the cheapest memory sticks they had, the box ran
    for years w/o a hiccup. I've used a bunch of bargain basement hardware
    and never had a problem.

    Currently, I'm buying my PCs, it's no longer possible to save anything
    by building a box, unfortunately.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Jul 14, 2011
  12. XS11E

    John Turco Guest

    vortch wrote:

    > I've had blue screens on all of them, almost always device drivers
    > causing it.
    >
    > Depends how much you use the computer, I guess. Used Vista for about
    > a year about 2 years after it came out, never got one bsod. (Many at
    > work though.) Haven't had one on Win 7 x86 yet.
    >
    > I Use Win 7 x64 most, get blue screened occasionally, usually pointing
    > to Nvidia, but who knows - I change drivers too much. It's all research
    > to me, the approved MS drivers are usually pretty stable, even if out
    > of date.

    Watch your attributions, please. I didn't write the sentence that you
    replied to ("XS11E" <> did).

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 15, 2011
  13. XS11E

    John Turco Guest

    XS11E wrote:

    > > John Turco <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Okay, forget "sarcasm" and "credibility" -- how's "lucky" sound
    > > to you?

    > Sure, to some small extent. I guess this makes most Windows users
    > "lucky"?

    One could say so, I suppose. XP >is< far better that earlier Windows
    versions (Millennium, especially), where BSOD activity is concerned.

    Still, other mysteries eventually force me to reboot, after so many
    days (I leave my PC on, all the time). It's damned frustrating and
    suggests that Microsoft merely "masked" BSOD's in XP, perhaps.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 15, 2011
  14. XS11E

    John Turco Guest

    Zootal wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > About the time the ATI Rage Fury was being sold, Windows 2000 was still
    > pretty new and hadn't had enough service packs to really be all that
    > stable - remember the tcpip.sys bsods? And the disk caching problems
    > that caused certain file types to be permantly wiped when it did BSOD?
    > Pre-SP Win2000 was so bad I had to revert to Win98 just to get a
    > semi-stable box. And Win98 was not all that great. And forget about
    > using a sound blaster with Win2000.
    >
    > At that time, which was about ten years ago, ATI could not make a
    > stable driver to save their lives. The Rage Fury was their latest
    > and greatest, and while I think it could have been a great card,
    > the drivers were the most unstable crud you ever had the misfortune
    > to use.

    <edited>

    I used an ATI "Rage Fury" (32MB AGP video card) for 7+ years, and had
    few (if any) problems. Windows 98 and Millennium were my operating
    systems, during the period.

    In February of 2007, it was replaced by another ATI device (64MB AGP),
    when I upgraded to XP. Here's an excerpt from an article I'd posted
    (on June 30, 2011), in a different newsgroup:

    "My ATI 'All In Wonder Radeon 8500DV' (AGP video card) has a heat
    sink/fan, mounted on its GPU. The crummy fan was always faulty
    (nothing to do with dust), which means I can't enable 'hardware
    acceleration' -- because, if I do so, the 8500DV will eventually
    overheat and shut itself down.

    "Then, I'm left with a blank monitor screen and need to reboot
    my computer."

    Hence, there's been little chance for me to experience those driver
    issues, you've mentioned. The AIW Radeon 8500DV is just an ordinary
    board, without hardware acceleration; none of its advanced features
    are available, alas.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 15, 2011
  15. XS11E

    John Turco Guest

    XS11E wrote:

    > > Zootal <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Several years ago it was the other way around. About the time the
    > > ATI Rage Fury was being sold, Windows 2000 was still pretty new
    > > and hadn't had enough service packs to really be all that stable -
    > > remember the tcpip.sys bsods? And the disk caching problems that
    > > caused certain file types to be permantly wiped when it did BSOD?
    > > Pre-SP Win2000 was so bad I had to revert to Win98 just to get a
    > > semi-stable box.

    > Never had a BSOD on Win2000, it was rock solid from the first beta
    > version I ran.
    >
    > > Another hard lesson learned back when was when building a box NEVER
    > > use off brand hardware.

    > My experiences have been different, I built a box for Vista years back,
    > went to Fry's and got the cheapest memory sticks they had, the box ran
    > for years w/o a hiccup. I've used a bunch of bargain basement hardware
    > and never had a problem.
    >
    > Currently, I'm buying my PCs, it's no longer possible to save anything
    > by building a box, unfortunately.

    I take a different approach, personally. Assembling a computer allows
    me to pick the best components I can afford, rather than relying upon
    whatever hardware/software the PC manufacturer may happen to choose.

    It's more expensive, but, my machine will be easier to work on and
    likelier to survive longer. In fact, my present Pentium III system
    has served me well, since May of 2000!

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>