Re: Do you agree with this diagnosis?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Bill Eitner, May 7, 2008.

  1. Bill Eitner

    Bill Eitner Guest

    Dave Hardenbrook wrote:
    > I have had a very daunting troubleshooting process, and I would like to
    > know if the "High Gurus" here agree with my analysis:
    >
    > I was given the task of troubleshooting a Dell Dimension 2350 running
    > Windows XP SP2 that was donated to my church. The obvious problem was
    > random spontanious reboots. I first tried disabling "Restart on System
    > Failure", but no STOP errors occured at the reboots, and there was
    > nothing in the Event Viewer to provide any clues. And there was no
    > apparent pattern to the reboots, except that they seemed to happen
    > mostly on mouse clicks, or when a USB device was being accessed
    > (sometimes it happened when the system was sitting idle, though).
    >
    > Then I tried swapping various components with "Known Goods": RAM, PSU,
    > Hard drive, etc. Problem persisted. Ran various low-level diagnostics
    > on the CPU, etc. No problems detected, but the reboots continued.
    >
    > Since the swapping of components did not solve the problem, I have
    > concluded that the motherboard is bad. I believe this is corroborated
    > by the fact that on examining the mobo more closely, some of the
    > capacitors have dark blue splotches that look like leakages, and there
    > is a definite though nondescript smell (its rather like cinnamon rolls,
    > but that might be my imagination).
    >
    > So would you agree that it is almost certainly the motherboard?
    >
    > Dave

    I'm writing this using a box based on a Shuttle mobo
    that had bad caps. I changed the caps out 4 years ago.
    The caps are cheap, but it's not your average A+ level
    repair. Based on what you describe, bad caps are a
    possibility. As another poster suggested, an overheating
    CPU is another.
    Bill Eitner, May 7, 2008