Re: Do Universities Throttle Usenet Ports?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Nov 18, 2008.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:50:52 -0500, Ron wrote:

    >Hello All
    >
    >I am new to Usenet and am really enjoying it. I am currently at
    >college. We have a great internet connection, which is one of the
    >reasons I decided to try Usenet out. I am currently using PowerUsenet
    >with the non-ssl plan.
    >
    >I am only getting download speeds of about 230KB/s . I know that with
    >my connection i should be able to get at least 600KB/s. I have tried
    >changing between all of the ports to see if has any effect. I am
    >thinking that my Univ. is throttling the speed of Usenet bandwith.
    >
    >Also I was wondering if using SSL would help my speed. My thinking for
    >this is that they may not be able to tell that I am using Usenet?
    >
    >Thanks for any help
    >

    >-PS Is there anyway to find out if they are throttling my speed?

    You're bitchin about a mere 230?
    Hell, I'm lucky to see even half of that.

    Like any method of connecting, speed is determined by how many users
    are online at any given moment.
    Among many other factors.

    Speed is something that is NOT guaranteed. It is only a means to let
    you know how fast, or slow, things are.

    Your university, purely as an example, has 10,000 students and a third
    of them are online at the same time. It's kind of like driving to
    school at a time when there is the least of amount of traffic. How
    quick you get there is determined by the traffic flow.

    And yes, they can throttle your speed so that others can enjoy the use
    of the equipment and keep it available to you.

    richard, Nov 18, 2008

  2. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:49:04 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >You're bitchin about a mere 230?
    >Hell, I'm lucky to see even half of that.

    You get what you pay for.

    Evan Platt, Nov 18, 2008