Re: Do Universities Throttle Usenet Ports?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Nov 18, 2008.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:50:52 -0500, Ron wrote:

    >Hello All
    >
    >I am new to Usenet and am really enjoying it. I am currently at
    >college. We have a great internet connection, which is one of the
    >reasons I decided to try Usenet out. I am currently using PowerUsenet
    >with the non-ssl plan.
    >
    >I am only getting download speeds of about 230KB/s . I know that with
    >my connection i should be able to get at least 600KB/s. I have tried
    >changing between all of the ports to see if has any effect. I am
    >thinking that my Univ. is throttling the speed of Usenet bandwith.

    How do you change ports?

    Typically, your usenet provider tells YOU what port to use, and you
    only have a choice of one or two

    >Also I was wondering if using SSL would help my speed. My thinking for
    >this is that they may not be able to tell that I am using Usenet?

    >-PS Is there anyway to find out if they are throttling my speed?

    Short of asking them? No. But there are routers that analyze packets,
    and can tell if you're using usenet, and can throttle based on that.
    Or throttle the common usenet ports. Of course, they may also throttle
    SSL traffic.
    Evan Platt, Nov 18, 2008

  2. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:09:55 -0600, "HEMI-Powered" <>
    wrote:

    >I would ordinarily agree with you, but when I was with Easynews,
    >they were constantly telling people to change among maybe a dozen
    >ports in a vain attempt to balance their load and keep performance
    >up.

    Then that's something the NSP has configured.

    Under normal circumstances, you can't just change ports and expect it
    to work. If I'm having problems downloading mail and I think it's
    because of a problem with ports, I can't change my e-mail client to
    use port 56. Doesn't work that way.
    Evan Platt, Nov 18, 2008