Re: Do I need XP's Simple File Sharing?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by mark barrow, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. mark barrow

    mark barrow Guest

    Ralph A. Jones wrote:
    > Piotr Makley wrote:
    >
    >> I run XP Pro on my home PC. It is connected to the net by a cable
    >> modem. It is not connected to any other PC.
    >>
    >> Several of us use the PC so we each have our own account and logon.
    >>
    >> Should I enable or disable simple File Sharing?
    >> I am concerned that people on the Net might be able to see som eof my
    >> files unless I disable SFS. But what will happen to files we want to
    >> share between us at home?

    > Start -> My Computer. Look for "Shared Documents" folder. Right-click
    > it. Select "Properties". Click on the "Sharing" tab. Read about "Local
    > Sharing and Security" and about "Network Sharing and Security" or take
    > the link at the bottom "Learn more about sharing and security".
    >
    > HTH.

    If your considering doing this make sure you get a hackers eye view of
    what you are offering out on to the interenet. Someone like Security
    Check Online http://www.securitycheckonline.net offer a free web based
    service that will identify any security exploits that you may be allowing.

    MJB

    mark barrow, Apr 7, 2004