Re: Do i need all these files and folders?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Jul 9, 2010.

  1. On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 18:43:29 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:

    >"Brother Freebyrd" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm running out of hard drive space on this laptop and i'm trying to
    >> delete crap i dont need.
    >>
    >> I have 247 folders in my windows folder named this or something like
    >> it...$NtUninstallKB969898$. They're taking up a lot of hard drive space.
    >>
    >> Do i need all these or can i move them to an external drive for same
    >> keeping?
    >>
    >> Thanks :)
    >>

    >If you really want to save some space on your HD turn system restore down
    >to 3 or 4%
    >
    >the default of 12% is way higher than needed

    Or, just make a system image backup and shut down System Restore
    completely so it doesn't hog your space and zap the responsiveness of
    the computer.

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Jul 9, 2010

  2. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 18:48:56 -0500, Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€ wrote:

    > On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 18:43:29 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Brother Freebyrd" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm running out of hard drive space on this laptop and i'm trying to
    >>> delete crap i dont need.
    >>>
    >>> I have 247 folders in my windows folder named this or something like
    >>> it...$NtUninstallKB969898$. They're taking up a lot of hard drive
    >>> space.
    >>>
    >>> Do i need all these or can i move them to an external drive for same
    >>> keeping?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks :)
    >>>

    >>If you really want to save some space on your HD turn system restore
    >>down to 3 or 4%
    >>
    >>the default of 12% is way higher than needed

    > Or, just make a system image backup and shut down System Restore
    > completely so it doesn't hog your space and zap the responsiveness of
    > the computer.

    Please explain how I might be able to turn off system restore on this
    machine.

    Aardvark, Jul 9, 2010

  3. On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 23:54:45 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 18:48:56 -0500, Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€ wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 18:43:29 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Brother Freebyrd" <> wrote in message

    >>>If you really want to save some space on your HD turn system restore
    >>>down to 3 or 4%
    >>>
    >>>the default of 12% is way higher than needed

    >> Or, just make a system image backup and shut down System Restore
    >> completely so it doesn't hog your space and zap the responsiveness of
    >> the computer.

    >Please explain how I might be able to turn off system restore on this
    >machine.

    What machine 'ya got?

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Jul 9, 2010
  4. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Peter Foldes Guest

    How to Disable System Restore in Vista and Windows 7

    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/disablesrv.html Same for Vista and Win 7

    --
    Peter

    http://www.microsoft.com/protect