Re: Do I need a switch with VLAN and QoS?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Thrill5, Jun 16, 2009.

  1. Thrill5

    Thrill5 Guest

    QoS is a layer 3 method of prioritizing IP traffic so that lower priority
    traffic is dropped before higher priority traffic when there is conjestion
    on a link between routers. A switch is a layer 2 device which does not
    apply QoS but it can be used to mark the priority of the traffic. In your
    case you need a router that does QoS at the two locations where the VoIP
    traffic is. You will need to mark the traffic appropriately so that you and
    your MPLS provider use the same QoS markings and that they mean the same
    thing. You will also need to make sure that the VoIP traffic is prioritized
    on your outbound links to the MPLS cloud, so that your router is dropping
    the non-VoIP traffic before other traffic. Once in the MPLS cloud your
    provider will honor the markings and also drop non-VoIP traffic first. I
    would suggest you get some assistance in putting this together. The vendor
    that supports your Avaya system is a good place to look for help as they
    will be very familier with QoS and how to implement it correctly.

    Thrill5, Jun 16, 2009