Re: Do I need 2 machines (Client and Server) to pass the MCSD

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Guest, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    The testing center will provide a PC and testing software for taking the
    exam.

    While configuring a seperate PC to act as a server and networking it with
    you development PC would be an educational expereience, it is not necessary.
    You can run IIS and SQL Server locally on the same PC. In fact, VS.NET
    requires a local install if IIS, even if you are deploying to a remote
    server. However, 900mhz is a bit slow and your PC may get pokey when running
    VS.NET, IIS and SQL Server. You could spend $250 to upgrade your motherboard
    and CPU.

    WKidd

    "Glenn Shapiro" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I currently have a 900 MHz PC with Windows XP Professional.
    > I have plenty of RAM and hard drive space.
    >
    > I am planning on getting my MCSD.
    > I purchased the Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Enterprise edition and was

    wondering if I needed to purchase another computer to act as a server in
    order to pass the MCSD.

    Guest, Jul 21, 2004

  2. Guest

    Pollux Guest

    In article <>, <WKidd> says...
    > The testing center will provide a PC and testing software for taking the
    > exam.
    >
    > While configuring a seperate PC to act as a server and networking it with
    > you development PC would be an educational expereience, it is not necessary.
    > You can run IIS and SQL Server locally on the same PC. In fact, VS.NET
    > requires a local install if IIS, even if you are deploying to a remote
    > server. However, 900mhz is a bit slow and your PC may get pokey when running
    > VS.NET, IIS and SQL Server. You could spend $250 to upgrade your motherboard
    > and CPU.
    >
    > WKidd
    >
    > "Glenn Shapiro" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > I currently have a 900 MHz PC with Windows XP Professional.
    > > I have plenty of RAM and hard drive space.
    > >
    > > I am planning on getting my MCSD.
    > > I purchased the Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Enterprise edition and was

    > wondering if I needed to purchase another computer to act as a server in
    > order to pass the MCSD.
    > >
    > > Thank you for your help,
    > > Glenn

    I'm using a Pentium III 933 with 512 mb of ram running both IIS and SQL
    Server and and the performance is absolutely fine. You can always stop
    the SQL Server Service and IIS if you notice any slowdown but I don't.
    Pollux, Jul 21, 2004

  3. >The testing center will provide a PC and testing software for taking the
    >exam.

    nice

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 21, 2004